Fri, Oct 4, 3:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: O.T. new video card for old computer

bikermouse ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 11:30 PM · edited Thu, 18 July 2024 at 4:28 PM

Hi All,
I'm thinking about getting a new video card for my old Dell Dimension 2350. The biggest problems are that it has no agp or pci-e slots and it has an integrated video card, so my only choice is a pci card . I know I can get the card to work as I've overriden integrated video cards on other computers (quite simple) so that shouldn't be an issue, but I don't know if the card I have been looking at  is reliable or if tiger direct is a reliable company - any clues?

here's a link to what I'm looking at:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2148789&CatId=319    

AnnieD ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 11:47 PM

I don't know about the video card but my sister buys all of her computer stuff from Tiger Direct..so yes, they are reliable.  she's been buying from them for a couple of years now.

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

bikermouse ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 3:59 AM

Thank you ! !  . . . I've been looking at all the tech info I could. I don't like the idea That it doesn't have a fan, only a heat sinc but I guess that's o.k. My computer runs at 85 degrees F, and if I have to, I know how to run a small auxillary fan. I found that I have to run PCI 2.0 compliance and that the power requirements fall within my computer's ability to supply; all well and good.

Well, my cat has given up on me and went to bed hours ago. I guess I better go too.   

RodsArt ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 4:22 AM

PNY / NVIDIA  - solid product, & I've dealt with TigerD for years. Great all around Co.

An extra case fan,...or an add on video cooler would make a difference.
I've had good luck here too:
http://www.xoxide.com/vgacoolers.html

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

Rayraz ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 8:14 AM

Personally, I think, unless your current vidcard is broken or really crappy a new card isnt going to be worth its money anymore... I'd say its maybe better to save up your spare cash a bit longer and get a full upgrade somewhere in the future...

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 9:33 AM · edited Mon, 11 February 2008 at 9:38 AM

RE: the no fan issue...on my geForce card on my workstation with a w2k o/s when I built it i added an extra case fan as I run the hotter than avaerage AMD  cpu and worried. Well the fan on the card crapped out with in 6 months and rather than await a repair by the company I had a friend help and we found that the geForce folks were recommending a heat sink rather than a fan and I've had zero problems with it since[3 yrs ago] when I put in a monster heat sink that looked for all the world like a blue empite state building, heh heh heh.. ...
OOOPS EDIT
It was the fan on my AGP not the card...sorry fer that...the card has a monster fan which started to go but another techie friend came over and rebuilt it for me and it works O K now as well but I still think the heat sink with an extra case fan should be  alright.. ...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

wildman2 ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 9:42 AM

I'd tend to agree with Rayraz..
Although, if you do get another pc that card would be good for running a 2nd and 3rd monitor.

"Reinstall Windows" is NOT a troubleshooting step.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 4:14 PM

My Opinion on GFX Cards built onto the Motherboard.

Almost always you're PC will take a performance hit, because the way manufacturers build these things, you're PC's main RAM is shared with you're GFX Card.  So if you install 1 GIG of RAM in you're PC you will actually only have 960MB depending on how much of that memory is being shared.

Disabling the Built in GFX card and installing a new video card should release that memory and you should get better performance.

The link to that card you sent should be just fine... dont buy anything with less than 256MB of RAM.

I will be doing the same soon the PC I'm typing this on is a Compaq Persario and the integrated video card shares its RAM with my Main ram.

bikermouse ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 9:41 PM · edited Mon, 11 February 2008 at 9:41 PM

Yeah ! the more I think about it  the better this card sounds (given the limitations of this computer).

Ray : 64M (need I say more?)

Bobby: thanks to whitcom electronics(fresno,ca) I never have to worry about fans. A good electronics shop should have your fans for under $20 U.S. Although I hit upon http://www.cputopia.com/dell-parts-dell-power-supplies.html . as you can see if your power supply is going out it might be good to know these people(If they're ok)_ I do have one computer which I'll need to visit old Tom at Whitcom soon for the agp video card fan.

Analog:
You got that right ! The card I'm looking at should relieve the memory problem if their blurb is spouting the reral deal.

wildman:
I'm operating under the supposition that a friend will upgrade his memory (1024M - 2100 ddr (2 512M  chips) to 2048M  thus leaving me  his old memory for a song and a prayer.) so I'm looking at 256M video 1024M memory on a 2.2 G systemj which only leaves a 'large Marge' hard drive to do such things as play "The Orange Box" and render images from such gravitationally over-exuberences  such as Bryce, C4D and Carrara which I am sure I can get for under $100.00 U.S ... Not bad for $149.99 U.S. total (after rebate,) eh??  I am considering the new computer route too, but that would mean spending another $14.00 for another network cord (20 feet should do ot.) arrgh !!!! 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.