Sun, Oct 6, 10:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Reference Geometry?

sfdex ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 11:02 AM · edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 4:44 PM

Hi, all --

I'm creating a five minute movie with about 110 shots in it.  Each shot has a model or two from the Poser Runtime folder.  When I bring those models into the Carrara scene, Carrara then saves the geometry in the .car file, effectively doubling the number of times the geometry resides on my hard drive.  Some of these files are getting huge.

So, is there a way to have Carrara just point to the geometry in the Runtime folder, thereby significantly reducing the size of the .car file?

Thanks for any info,
Dex

GKDantas ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 11:25 AM

No way to do that... just remember to clear all unused shaders and objects before save.

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

Thelby ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 10:11 PM

It says Newbie on my forehead, so how does one clear out the unused shaders and objects GKDantas???

I would rather be Politically Incorrect,
Then have Politically Correct-Incorrectness!!!

GKDantas ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 5:57 AM

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

Thelby ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 6:52 AM

Thank You So Very Much, It is Much Appreciated I Assure you   ;^ )

I would rather be Politically Incorrect,
Then have Politically Correct-Incorrectness!!!

sfdex ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 2:59 PM

No worries, Thelby, about "newbie," I've been using Carrara since it was RayDream and only learned about removing unused masters a year ago or so.

Thanks, GKDantas -- that's what I was afraid of.  Alas.  Feature request, here I come!

- Dex

whkguamusa ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 10:24 PM

Quote - No way to do that... just remember to clear all unused shaders and objects before save.

Not quite correct.
If you save your poser objects to a poser scene file and then use transposer to import them (vs dragging them from the browser) C6 will not save the poser geometry and just point to the poser scenes.
Now if Poser saves a copy of each object in it's scene file then you would not be saving any space from duplicates.
I am not sure how poser saves its stuff.

wayne k
guam usa

sfdex ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 4:12 PM

Hmm, Wayne, interesting.  Problem with that for me (on a Mac) is that Transposer material runs incredibly slowly in Carrara.  Of course, it may be because it's using reference geometry, so maybe it's better the way it is....

I'm putting a feature request in, nonetheless....

Thanks!
Dex

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.