Thu, Sep 19, 9:17 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Python Scripting

Welcome to the Poser Python Scripting Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Python Scripting F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 2:50 am)

We now have a ProPack Section in the Poser FreeStuff.
Check out the new Poser Python Wish List thread. If you have an idea for a script, jot it down and maybe someone can write it. If you're looking to write a script, check out this thread for useful suggestions.

Also, check out the official Python site for interpreters, sample code, applications, cool links and debuggers. This is THE central site for Python.

You can now attach text files to your posts to pass around scripts. Just attach the script as a txt file like you would a jpg or gif. Since the forum will use a random name for the file in the link, you should give instructions on what the file name should be and where to install it. Its a good idea to usually put that info right in the script file as well.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: 2 questions on SpawnCharacterP6

wus ( ) posted Fri, 29 February 2008 at 7:40 AM · edited Sat, 24 August 2024 at 6:30 PM

first of all: thx to svdl, not only for this script which is a valuable timesaver, but also for all the other goodies! there's 2 things about this script i just don't understand... 1. it seems to ignore magnets. does it 'simply' merge already existing and nonzeroed morphs or am i doing something wrong? as a workaround i spawn morphs manually and run the script with these new morphs... 2. ...but when i compare the new pz2 with the cr2 i see that the morphs often have less deltas. is this due to the 8-digit-limit? tia A.

svdl ( ) posted Fri, 29 February 2008 at 9:02 AM

SpawnCharacter uses the current state of the vertices to generate a new morph. Actually, it spawns a morph target, just like one could do manually.
It should not ignore magnets, I'll have to look into that when I have time.

When you spawn a morph target manually, a morph delta for EVERY vertex is generated, even if the delta is zero. SpawnCharacter strips out deltas that are smaller than 10 to the power of (- morph precision).
TBH, a morph precision of 8 is a waste. A morph precision of 4 would mean that deltas smaller than 0.25 millimeter would get stripped, So a morph precision of 5  (strips deltas smaller than 0.025 millimeter) should be good enough for just about anything.

I put this functionality in the script to make the resulting .pz2 files smaller.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

wus ( ) posted Sat, 01 March 2008 at 10:53 AM

hi! Q:"It should not ignore magnets, I'll have to look into that when I have time." well, may i send you the morph-setting pz2 and the mags of one of my v3 characters? then we can compare the results - maybe there is something wrong on my end of the line ... ;) Q:"When you spawn a morph target manually, a morph delta for EVERY vertex is generated, even if the delta is zero." i am sorry but i have to disaggree in this point. i still use p5 in 99.9%, my system's too old for the newer versions (to rotate the camera around v3 is a slideshow). and p5 writes only deltas for the vertices that actually have been moved. is that different in p6/7? i haven't tried it yet... Q:"I put this functionality in the script to make the resulting .pz2 files smaller." definitely a good and smart idea! the only thing that worries me is the seams between bodyparts (like the crappy area around v3's sternum).

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.