Sat, Oct 5, 6:13 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 5:47 am)

Subject: silly poser q - trying to rotate a prop and it doesnt want to play properly

Whimsical ( ) posted Tue, 01 April 2008 at 3:40 AM · edited Sun, 28 July 2024 at 10:15 PM

I'm using a bed from freestuff (think from memory its Carib98's(?) lovely one)

When it loads into the poser workspace, it has the foot of the bed facing the camera.  That is fine but i want to rotate the bed around the Y axis so i can have one of the sides of the bed facing the front camera instead.  This is where the fun begins.  If I try to y or zrotate the bed, it tips it to the left or right (side to side) in each instance..if i xrotate the bed it rotates it back and forth (front to back) from bedhead to bedfoot.

Sure i can alter the camera instead but at this stage that isnt what i want to do..

Am thinking there must be an easy way of getting around this with the bed (mayb to do with altering the orientation of the object?)... but have no real idea how.. anything i do just seems to create a headache  lol

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 01 April 2008 at 6:07 AM

This is known a gimbal lock. There are a couple of ways round it that I know of, probably more: - import a prop, make it invisible and parent the bed to it. Then rotate the prop instead. - export the bed as OBJ, re-import. But first, check that the prop hasn't been saved with rotations already applied to it. If it has, zero them and try rotating through other axes instead; you may not need the workarounds.

Whimsical ( ) posted Tue, 01 April 2008 at 6:22 AM

Ahhh.. HA!  Dunno why on earth it didnt occur to me re importing a prop.. done it before with other items on occasions..ok.. bed is now moving how I would like it to!

Thank you so much.. my brain is in a real 'go slow' mode.. or maybe it's in a 'no go' at all mode  lolol

For my own future reference tho and in the interest of learning ..

*But first, check that the prop hasn't been saved with rotations already applied to it. If it has, zero them and try rotating through other axes instead;

*how do i check something regarding whether its been saved with rotations......in the joint editor or elsewhere??

thanks appreciate the help :-)))

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 01 April 2008 at 6:32 AM

Quote - how do i check something regarding whether its been saved with rotations......in the joint editor or elsewhere?

No, just load the prop and look at the dials. I've seen 3DS models where the Y and Z axes are swapped over, so they need to be rotated before use in Poser - and if they're saved like that, the rotation dial setting is saved with the prop. Gimbal lock usually occurs when you try to do more than one rotation, which is why I asked; I wondered if the prop might have been saved with one rotation already done.

Whimsical ( ) posted Tue, 01 April 2008 at 6:36 AM · edited Tue, 01 April 2008 at 6:39 AM

now that you have mentioned it.. it is... it loads with x already rotated at -90
if you zero xrotate, it is then standing upright with the foot of the bed flat to the floor .. not flat to the floor.. but in that general position..tho thru the floor.. if that makes any sense (if not i completely understand.. it is somewhat garbled lol ;-)  )

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 01 April 2008 at 6:48 AM

That makes perfect sense. It may have been modelled in 3DS Max, which I believe swaps the Y and Z axes according to the Poser convention. So the author rotated it -90 degrees around X and saved it that way. When you tried to perform a second rotation, gimbal lock set in because Poser got its knickers in a twist. :) So when you exported the rotated model (i.e. looking like a bed should look) and re-imported it, you no longer need two rotations to get it positioned as you want. Et voila! No more gimbal lock... If you're bored, search the forum for gimbal lock and see the arguments about why Poser still suffers from this, and how many chickens should be sacrificed to make it go away. :D

Whimsical ( ) posted Tue, 01 April 2008 at 7:14 AM · edited Tue, 01 April 2008 at 7:15 AM

will have a nosey around re the gimbal lock posts, as for the chicken sacrifices.. am sure its not the number of chickens required that poses the problem, but that ppl haven't taken note of performing the sacrifices during the full moon at the cross intersection closest to the gates of their local cemetry!

OT for a mo.. have just been having a giggle over this:
googleblog.blogspot.com/

and this:
www.google.com/virgle/index.html

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 01 April 2008 at 8:01 AM

Must be that time of year again, what with folks posting null shaders in the DAZ forums... Please don't post links like that while I'm eating. :lol:

Whimsical ( ) posted Tue, 01 April 2008 at 8:10 AM

haha.. just found the googe .au effort too  lolol

gDay™ with MATE™ Search tomorrow’s web, today!
Google Australia has introduced a new feature, enabling you to search content on the internet before it is created.

www.google.com.au/intl/en/gday/index.html

Funny stuff... i always look forward to Google's efforts :lol:

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 01 April 2008 at 9:38 AM

Another thing you can use - assuming you have Poser 6 or 7 - is the Direct Manipulation Tool.  It does the same thing as loading another prop.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.