Sun, Sep 15, 11:46 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 12:14 am)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Slightly OT ... an Illustrator/Wacom question

Gini ( ) posted Tue, 13 May 2008 at 4:00 PM · edited Sun, 18 August 2024 at 12:10 AM

I figure a few in here might use Illustrator as well as PShop, I use that and am now learning illustrator as well. 

Anyway I've run into a weird little thing with Illustrator and my Wacom tablet and mouse  and I'm hoping someone in here can tell me if they have this happen to them too.....

I'm doing a basic beginner lesson, trying out drawing shapes and  using fills/strokes on them.   
So I draw a shape, should be able to left click anywhere in the window to deselect it , choose a new colour and draw a new shape but on 2 similar set-ups ( a G4 and a G5 Mac/ both 10.4.11/CS2/ both Wacom Intuos 2 & Intuos 3 )  but using the Wacom mouse  (or pen)  I have to Command/Click for deselection to take place.
My on-line instructor says this might be a Wacom bug peculiar to Illustrator and I have no regular 2 button mouse to try out to see it it happens anyway.... so apparently I shouldn't have to add the Command key for deselection to work.

So if someone has a couple of spare moments , a Wacom mouse and Illustrator CS2 please could you possibly check this out for me :  to deselect a selected shape can you merely left click somewhere else in the window or do you also have to use Command/left click ?

A Wacom thing , a Mac thing or just me ?????

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

stew451 ( ) posted Tue, 13 May 2008 at 5:16 PM

Hey Gini,
     I just tried it.  if I'm using the shape tool I have to ctrl click in an open area in order to deselect the current shape.  If I click in a different area without holding ctrl it starts to draw a new shape with the same settings.  If I change the color the current shape changes to match the new color.  I don't think this is a bug, I think you have to click in an empty area with the selection tool in order to deselect what ever the current object selected is and holding down the control key turns the pointer into the selection tool.  BTW the same thing happens when I use my "normal" mouse.  I'm using an Intuos 3 tablet.

Gini ( ) posted Wed, 14 May 2008 at 7:35 AM

Thanks very much for checking that out Stew .

As well , I found someone else in my work studio who secretly uses Illustrator ( for some reason her team is supposed to be using Freehand ... ) and she has the same results as you and I do as in needing to use a key along with the click.
The main difference is she and I must use command(applebutton) /click and you use ctrl/click. 
If we ctrl/click we get an options box to undo/redo/group/join etc.

It's just a little thing that the class instructor and I would also guess the other students  can just do a  plain click to deselect a shape ... but now at least I don't feel like I'm imagining things ... lol, again ; )

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

stew451 ( ) posted Wed, 14 May 2008 at 6:34 PM

No problem:)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.