Sat, Sep 21, 3:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: How did you come across Renderosity.com?

Mooch ( ) posted Fri, 18 July 2008 at 8:20 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 3:27 PM

How did you find Renderosity.com?

I could not draw to save my life. So, I needed the computer to help me out. I searched and searched, and found Renderosity.com.

The first time my mouse landed here, (in the Gallery,) my jaws dropped open. The images were absolutely stunning.

What really impressed me, was the sheer volume of uploads. My thinking was, "Well, if there are *that many  *(thousands? Millions; how hard could it really be?

One of my favorite sayings is: "If it looks easy, it's probably not."  Meaning: if you've been doing 3D modeling for the past 12 years,  to the person looking over your shoulder, it appears as if there's no learning curve involved.  Because you are going thru the motions very quickly. And chances are, the other person, will be way more interested about what's going on on screen, than thinking about the time associated to get through the learning curve.

Sorry for the digression.

But that's how I found Renderosity...

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 18 July 2008 at 8:55 PM · edited Fri, 18 July 2008 at 8:56 PM

Years ago, I was image searching for more/new pictures that were "computer generated", a type of art I had just recently discovered for myself. (At that time all I knew of was pov-ray).

Renderosity had the most of everything. I signed up and made it home.

*Hey...just noticed my join date was 8 years TODAY. Cool....;o)

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Faery_Light ( ) posted Fri, 18 July 2008 at 11:31 PM

Hmmm, I don't remember how I found this site. I think my son found it first and told me I should join since I was doing Poser art with P4 at the time. I browsed galleries and the forums gleaning all sorts of tips and information. I still do that. :)

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 19 July 2008 at 2:58 AM

Pretty much the same as you, had been seeing loads of art on the web and wondered how there was so many talented peeps out there!
A search threw up something called Poser and from there I found here!!
Finding out what DAZ and V3 were took a bit longer!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

dogbite1066 ( ) posted Sat, 19 July 2008 at 3:30 AM

I was working with Bryce almost 10 years ago and found most of the Bryce artwork
by others here.  At that time people were rendering weird spheres and cosmic landscapes.
It was so long ago I don't even remember my original screen name.

Casette ( ) posted Sat, 19 July 2008 at 3:49 AM

I watched FINAL FANTASY - THE SPIRIT WITHIN and I was stunned. I thought 'how the hell they draw all that?'

I burned Google with searchs like '3D', 'texture', 'mesh', and obviously I found DAZ3D and Renderosity. I opened my account at Rendo in september, 2002. The rest is pure history...

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

gillbrooks ( ) posted Sat, 19 July 2008 at 4:41 AM

Someone I knew had joined, posted an image and sent the gallery link to me.  So I got nosy and stayed   :biggrin:

Gill

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sat, 19 July 2008 at 5:08 AM

I have absolutely no clue how I found and landed at Rendo.....I do know I first started dabbling with the first version of Terragen years ago....so I am sure that had something to do with it, in some form or another.

How odd is that..can't remember how I got here LOL!

However, I have no plans on ever leaving...I'm part of the furniture now :laugh:

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

geoegress ( ) posted Sat, 19 July 2008 at 8:52 AM

I ran accross a pinup that just blew my mind by someone named Catherin something or other. That just got me hooked like a fish, lol.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 19 July 2008 at 3:15 PM

I think somebody mentioned it (when willow was running it) at legume's poser
newsgroup, or maybe one of the cartoon newsgroups or toon IRC things.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 19 July 2008 at 9:25 PM

Hmmm, I can't even remember it was so long ago. Probably an internet search.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

bonestructure ( ) posted Mon, 21 July 2008 at 12:21 PM

I've been here so long I can't really remember. I think I stumbled on this site where a guy was making sf and fantasy wallpapers with Bryce, which was what I started out with, and he had a link to rosity and I came here. I think lol. It's been a LONG time. Back when i joined there wasn't a massive membership, and frankly, there were maybe 5 or 6 artists here that were actually good, and a LOT of variations of shiny ball on ocean and naked woman in a temple with sword pictures.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

Khai ( ) posted Mon, 21 July 2008 at 12:23 PM

about 2 days after it became 'renderosity' (ignore the join date shown for me.. this is a later login I made when I became a merchant here for a short time)..

I was looking for trueSpace tips and tricks....

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 22 July 2008 at 6:44 PM

I'm not 100% certain.  But IIRC, Renderosity might have been mentioned in the documentation that came stuffed inside of the Poser 2 box -- so I visited.  And I've been here ever since.

What can I say -- I like the place.  It's home on the web.  😉

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

chimera46 ( ) posted Wed, 23 July 2008 at 10:17 PM

I was looking up stuff about a comic character I was interested in and came across an image on the site of Wyrmmaster. From there I found my way to his Rendo gallery, a few months later I started posting my own stuff in fall 2001, and here I am today.

A simple enough story but there are many others just like it.

The strong do as they can while the weak do as they must.

Daidalos ( ) posted Mon, 28 July 2008 at 8:48 AM · edited Mon, 28 July 2008 at 8:51 AM

I was exploring what are now, some ancient sewer tunnels and found an entrace.

Been here lurking in the cellar ever since.

"The Blood is the life!"

KarenJ ( ) posted Mon, 28 July 2008 at 1:33 PM

I lurked for a long time before I actually joined. I think I followed a link from Morphworld!

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

SeanE ( ) posted Tue, 05 August 2008 at 9:02 AM · edited Tue, 05 August 2008 at 9:04 AM

saw the gallery of someone here featured in a CGarts printed magazine and followed the link on the page the next day. That was October 2000-ish.

I then  surfed the site for about a year before getting hold of a copy of lunarcell filter plugin from flamingpear.com and gave it a whirl in photoshop. Came up with a picture which I called 'romulus and remus' and posted it here. Haven't look back since...!! - and that picture is STILL on my gallery on page 1!!! Actually everything bar one picture  that I've ever done is still here on my rendo gallery (had to delete one at the penciller's request) so you can pretty much see my entire progression as a comic book colourist from barely knowing what the frack I was doing to the stuff that I do today (some would say not much has changed.... :+P ... )

Highlights for me in the past 7 years at Rendo are: Hitting 1000 views for a picture for the first time, getting all of the top 12 'most commented of all time' images for the DC gallery at one point, getting included on the Best of Renderosity DVD in 2003 (still have my copy and watch from time to time)  and AOM for October 2004.

cheers
Sean

lundqvist ( ) posted Tue, 05 August 2008 at 2:23 PM

Search engine result, probably. Been here on and off for years now.

I've never much liked the site, but it has a large user-base, so you do what you have to, eh?

MikeJ ( ) posted Sat, 09 August 2008 at 11:42 PM · edited Sat, 09 August 2008 at 11:53 PM

Seems to me the boxed retail of Poser 4 I bought when it was still MetaCreations had poserforum.com listed on the registration page or something. That was the name before Renderosity. ( and that's a rather long story, to say the least)

That led me here, and in varying degrees I've been around ever since.

I got all into Poser, which led me to Vue, which led me to working for these people here, which led me to becoming pissed off at everybody at the time, which led me to leave, but in the meantime led me into other 3D software which has become far more interesting, especially considering Poser's penchant for being content at the bottom, while ignoring its massive potential, while being bought/sold/bought/sold, with minor bursts of development in between....

Wow, major run-on sentence.

I try to leave, really I do, but I know I can always at least get some good entertainment from simply reading through a few posts here in the Poser forum when I'm bored (like right now).
It reminds me of the late '90's when I used to go into the 14 year old kids chat rooms on AOL and tell them their favorite band sucked, but with alot fewer misspelled four-letter words. ;-)

hecate61 ( ) posted Sun, 10 August 2008 at 4:56 PM

I actually found it from a fanfic site.  The admin of the site also did Poser and posted a link to her gallery here.  I decided to check out the link eventually (because there were no new fics posted and I was bored), and just looking at the thumbnails in the gallery was enough for me.

Incarnadine ( ) posted Sun, 17 August 2008 at 10:11 PM

I think it was a link from a bryce wallpaper site in my case.

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

Kugai ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2008 at 2:59 AM · edited Tue, 19 August 2008 at 3:00 AM

I've been haunting the Galleries at Desktop Starships for a while now, and I've always been interested in how such great images are made.   I finally followed a link here and was amazed at what I saw!!  HAD to sign up here.

Hopefully, when I can finally afford to update the six year old Compe next year, I can get to start learning how to do 2D & 3D art as I've wanted to do for quite some time.  Meanwhile, this looks like a good place to do a little learning before then.

Chippsyann ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 11:29 PM

All I remember is; that it was a dark and rainy night. And I needed to get home in a hurry.
So I thought that if I took the shortcut through the old cemetery I could be home in no time.
I was standing at the front gate...thinking; (that's funny, it should be locked, but it's open)
I do recall pushing open the front gate and stepping inside...everything was over grown and I kept stumbling over things. "I remember hearing a strange sound behind me, and then something touched my shoulder...but...that's all I can remember”
And then I woke up...right here.

"Please...that's all I know...please don't ask me any more question about this...I just don't remember"

“I...just...don't...remember”

MikeJ ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 6:54 PM

You know what is one of the more interesting things about this place?
The consistency with which the ebots refuse to work, malfunction, whatever.
For example, this thread here - not a single ebot about these replies.
I'd bet if you tallied up all the forum topics, the ebot problem would be fairly high in the list of recurring topics, but still... it works when it works, and largely it doesn't.

Perhaps the code is simply too advanced for such a menial task. If that's the case, then I understand why comparitively primitive phpbb email notifications tend to work all the time. ;-)

Yes, that is another reason why I stick around. I have just decided one more thing I want to see before I die is a renderosity with a 100% functioning ebot. Too bad I'm already in my 40's... that only leaves me maybe 30-40 years left. I'm certain I will die disappointed. ;-)

Kugai ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 9:16 PM · edited Fri, 22 August 2008 at 9:18 PM

If by ebots you mean the automated Forum Topic Replies, I have no trouble getting them - hence my currant reply to your Post.

Check your settings.

Either that, or remember to tick the 'Notify me when someone replies' box below 'The Message'  'Box' where you type.

MikeJ ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 5:39 AM · edited Sat, 23 August 2008 at 5:42 AM

Quote - If by ebots you mean the automated Forum Topic Replies, I have no trouble getting them - hence my currant reply to your Post.

Check your settings.

Either that, or remember to tick the 'Notify me when someone replies' box below 'The Message'  'Box' where you type.

Well, I have not been getting "automated Forum Topic Replies", and I've replied, so,  hence it doesn't naturally follow that a reply implies a successful ebotting. ;-)

C'mon now, I've been a member since May of 2000. I know what settings need to be what and what needs to be checked. And the "notify me when someone replies" check box is checked by default.
I've always had an ebot problem here, and it's not my ISP or any kind of anti-spam settings in my email or anything like that. Sometimes they come, sometimes they don't.
It simply doesn't work all the time for everybody, with messages from every forum, and if you search for it, you will find probably thousands of complaints about this all throughout this site. If there aren't any Ebot topics on the front page of this forum right now, keep checking - sooner or later there will be.

(EDIT: for that matter, here's a recent one:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2744265 )

It does work, intermittently, at least. I got ebots just last weekend from a post in the Poser forum here, but none from this thread.
Trust me when I tell you this site doesn't work the same for everybody, and, ebots aside, you can see evidence of that in the myriad of site functionality-related complaints all over the place here, in all of the forums.

Kugai ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2008 at 3:20 AM · edited Sun, 24 August 2008 at 3:25 AM

Wasn't meaning to insult you Mike, and I hope you didn't take it that way.  I just know from personall (and embarrassing) experience it's sometimes the little things that can trip you up in forums.

Anyway, I will keep an eye on that, so far it's been working ok from here and I've gotten all the TFR's I should, but if it turns out to be an issue (as it is at a certain Webcomic I'm a Forum Member of ATM), I'll scream.

😉  :biggrin:

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2008 at 9:40 PM

It's all good. :-)

Strangely enough, I got my first ebot from this thread. I think they know when you're talking about them. ;-)

Kugai ( ) posted Tue, 26 August 2008 at 2:13 AM · edited Tue, 26 August 2008 at 2:20 AM

<_<

_>

*"Open the Pod Bay doors please HAL."

:biggrin:   :tongue1:

ArdathkSheyna ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2008 at 10:07 PM

mmmm...search engine about five years ago while looking for free Poser content after getting a copy of Poser 4. Been around on and off ever since, mostly lurking in the shadows ;-)

Helen ( ) posted Mon, 01 September 2008 at 12:51 AM

I followed Willow here when the Poser site they had moved over from  the iguanasoft site.

It went from this
web.archive.org/web/19981206233650/http://www.iguanasoft.com/poser/

To this
http://web.archive.org/web/19991127182951/http://www.renderosity.com/

Ahhh the memories.  :)

Helen

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Senior MarketPlace Tester

If anyone sees a mind wandering aimlessly around..... It is mine.  I want it back.

JeffH ( ) posted Mon, 01 September 2008 at 5:13 PM

Good memories? :-)

Helen ( ) posted Mon, 01 September 2008 at 6:13 PM

Quote -
Good memories? :-)

For the most part they have been good memories.  Just a few blips along the way.  Just made it a more interesting journey.  :)

I often wonder what has happened to Willow and Grey.

Helen

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Senior MarketPlace Tester

If anyone sees a mind wandering aimlessly around..... It is mine.  I want it back.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.