Sat, Sep 21, 12:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 12:04 pm)

Subject: In praise of Poser hair/cloth/reflections...and Hisaom the kimono maker [animati

operaguy ( ) posted Tue, 14 October 2008 at 2:33 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:32 PM

file_415573.jpg

I was put onto a site which offers some of the most beautiful models I have seen as far as Japanese clothing and buildings go. This is the site of Hisaom.

http://web.mac.com/hisaom1/iWeb/Image%20Labs/TOP.html

Inspired me to make an animation.

http://jrdonohue.com/kimono01.mov
10MB H.264

Besides showing off Hisaom's fine kimono, this is also a demonstration of the Poser cloth and hair dynamics and also reflection. It's quite a cool program, Poser!

Thanks for your excellence and generosity, Hisaom.

::::: Opera :::::

Click still for full res.

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Tue, 14 October 2008 at 3:09 PM · edited Tue, 14 October 2008 at 3:10 PM

I like. :)

You've mastered lighting.

ockham ( ) posted Tue, 14 October 2008 at 3:25 PM

Elegant indeed.  I especially like your finger motions... an important
part of delicate feminine dancing that's often neglected by real dancers
as well as animators.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

operaguy ( ) posted Tue, 14 October 2008 at 3:31 PM

Thank you both. I love hands/fingers.

operaguy ( ) posted Tue, 14 October 2008 at 3:35 PM

There is a little flicker in this animation. I realize now I believe I left a spot light which I positioned far away with a small end angle actually "pointed at the kimono" Therefore, the spotlight is moving slightly in an attempt to keep up with miss butterfly as she turns.

Watch out for dumb things like that!

::::: Opera :::::

bopperthijs ( ) posted Tue, 14 October 2008 at 7:39 PM

Wow, this have taken you hours to render, great job!

Regards,

Bopper.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 15 October 2008 at 10:10 AM

the render budget was close to 300 seconds per frame. and the animation was designed for 30 frames per second.

I have receved an email from the kimono artist and his name on renderosity is "jastyn"

Jastyn says this type of kimono is called a Furisode and is normally worn by a single woman.

He gave me this link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furisode

devilsreject ( ) posted Wed, 15 October 2008 at 10:03 PM · edited Wed, 15 October 2008 at 10:11 PM

What's with the hair passing right through the skull every time she moves her head?  Did you forget collisions, or have them turned off on purpose for some reason?

PS:  I'd like to see this with Poser hair collisions turned on, because I heard a rumor that it's near impossible to keep Poser's dynamic hair from jittering and acting up when collisions are enabled.  For example, with collisions on, have the girl shake her head, then stand still for a few seconds.  Poser's dynamic hair will continue to dance about nervously much longer than it should, and look quite unnatural.  Unlike other hair engines in such apps as Lightwave, Maya, 3dsmax, etc., it's near impossible to calm this effect in Poser.

Or is this rumor incorrect?

operaguy ( ) posted Thu, 16 October 2008 at 6:17 AM

I did not "forget" collision and yes the hair goes thru the mesh. Does this really upset you?

It's not a rumor, it is correct. I have written about it many times. Poser's collision cannot be accomplished without jitter. I have collision turned off in this animation for two reasons, a) to save time; b) the jitter is distracting.

Also, if you care about this hair jitter problem, instead of a sour attitude, why don't you demonstrate some sort of contribution to a solution or an alternative program, other than Maya or Max.

Now, do you have anything positive to say about this beautiful kimono and its artist or any other aspects of the poser's strength in dynamics and relfection?

devilsreject ( ) posted Thu, 16 October 2008 at 2:04 PM

Quote - I did not "forget" collision and yes the hair goes thru the mesh. Does this really upset you?

Nope.  But while you pointed out some other obvious flaws, you failed to mention the hair.  Considering the title of this thread is "in praise of Poser hair..." I felt compelled to ask.

Quote - It's not a rumor, it is correct. I have written about it many times. Poser's collision cannot be accomplished without jitter. I have collision turned off in this animation for two reasons, a) to save time; b) the jitter is distracting.

Yes, I imagine jitter is very distracting, but so is hair passing through one's head.  Seems Poser's dynamic hair does not deserve much praise after all. ;-)

Quote - Also, if you care about this hair jitter problem, instead of a sour attitude, why don't you demonstrate some sort of contribution to a solution or an alternative program, other than Maya or Max.

Why other than Maya or Max?  I don't own C4D or Lightwave, although I can probably find examples of these on youtube.

Quote - **Now, do you have anything positive to say about this beautiful kimono and its artist or any other aspects of the poser's strength in dynamics and relfection?

::::: Opera :::::**

I think the kimono is nice.  Dynamics for that look good.  As for it's "strength" in reflection... I'm not sure what's so great about it.  It's basic raytraced reflections I see there.  Any 3D program with raytracing can produce the same effect, and probably much faster.  Why do you consider that a strength of the application?

operaguy ( ) posted Thu, 16 October 2008 at 2:26 PM

have a nice day

devilsreject ( ) posted Thu, 16 October 2008 at 10:48 PM

Did I upset you?  Maybe I didn't provide you with the typical candy-coated forum responses you were looking for, but my observations and posts were accurate and to the point.

you wrote:
Besides showing off Hisaom's fine kimono, this is also a demonstration of the Poser cloth and hair dynamics and also reflection.

I pointed out the obvious problem with the hair, and I simply asked why you considered raytraced reflections (something that's been around in 3D for more than two decades now) a strength of Poser?

I guess I can understand if you have no real answer for this.  So "have a nice day" as well.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.