Mon, Jul 8, 6:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 07 8:11 pm)

Subject: request: blood material

kobaltkween ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2008 at 6:38 PM · edited Thu, 04 July 2024 at 2:57 AM

hi, i'm wondering if anyone has advice on a blood shader?  i'm not thinking about the most realistic results, because the image i'm working on is fairly stylized. slick, red and reflective aren't so much my worry.  i'm wondering how you make it look viscous and obviously liquid and not glass.

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2008 at 6:49 PM

You will probably get better results if Bagginsbill comes along but you're welcome to the "Bloodpool" material in the Dark Sorceress / Demonatrix materials in my freebies, it's not exactly blood because there is some variation in color but you could take that out pretty easily.

My Freebies

kobaltkween ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2008 at 7:08 PM

thanks!  i'm guessing (probably incorrectly) that curve based diffuse variation is actually part of the impression of viscosity.

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2008 at 7:15 PM

Dunno, I think it is more about bump - since the surface beneath a thin film of blood is not perfectly regular, the layer of blood itself would not be perfectly flat, so imo some bump is mandatory.  There is some procedural bump in my shader that looks more like a countour map, so it isn't really great for simulating blood perfectly but the color and specularity, I think they're okay.  A bit cinematic though, it looks VERY wet (probably more than it should if it were real blood).

My Freebies

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2008 at 9:53 PM

Hmm. Because Poser does not implement real SSS, I'd have to design the shader in context. A bowl of blood, a drop of blood on a surface, or a thin layer of blood on skin would all be different.

What's the context. Is there a prop involved, like a splatter? If so is it your own and you can give it to me to work with?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2008 at 1:30 AM

thanks for the offer!  sorry i've taken so long to respond. i'm having a weird but consistent browser problem.  it's a dress, and mine, so i can send it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.