Mon, Sep 30, 11:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Help with plank shader, or will someone please smack me with a cluebat

ptsulli ( ) posted Fri, 20 February 2009 at 5:04 PM · edited Mon, 05 August 2024 at 7:43 AM

All; I have three projects currently on hold because I can't seem to get a plank shader to work. I would prefer to use a procedural shader rather than a texture map.  A screen shot of one that works,  or a link to a tutorial(other than the info in the Carrara manual.. not real helpful), heck a link to a shader I can take apart would be great.  If there is an easier way ( I have all the DCG and Inagoni plugins) Please enlighten me. When I try to create the shader, the planking runs the wrong direction, or it turns black.. GRRRR. Any help that could be provided would be appreciated.

GKDantas ( ) posted Fri, 20 February 2009 at 5:47 PM

I am not a good english reader...what is a plank shader??

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 20 February 2009 at 5:48 PM

file_424618.jpg

they may need more info.  not all planks were created equal.

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Fri, 20 February 2009 at 5:50 PM

I wish I could get my wood shaders to come out that good. :)

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 20 February 2009 at 5:57 PM

Quote - what is a plank shader??

I assume it's a wood shader for a plank.

To get the grain to go in a different direction, the usual thing to do in a procedural shader would be to apply a transformation (rotate and scale) to the UVW coords that drive the pattern (and possibly the noise source).

The wood shaders that come with Carrara have a "Direction" property which sets the major axis of the pattern.

Xerxes0002 ( ) posted Fri, 20 February 2009 at 6:50 PM

a wood shader to put the rings/texture along the wood to make it look like wood?  I am doing the fruit tutorial over at Carrara Lounge and one of the steps is a procedural shader to make the plate look like wood with texture.  Not sure if this will help

http://carraralounge.com/index.php?topic=194.msg448  the current thread and links to the video

the original thread http://carraralounge.com/index.php?topic=177.msg420#msg420

bwtr ( ) posted Fri, 20 February 2009 at 7:00 PM

file_424625.jpg

Both the Lumber Yard and Planks are items in the Carrara shader tree.

And the Help file is very--well --helpful!

Brian

bwtr

holyforest ( ) posted Sat, 21 February 2009 at 4:34 AM

Quote - Both the Lumber Yard and Planks are items in the Carrara shader tree.

And the Help file is very--well --helpful!

Brian

I do agree - HF

---------------------------------------
Holyforest,
Hundreds of shaders for Carrara

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Sat, 21 February 2009 at 3:01 PM

file_424684.jpg

Typically the Plank function is used as a Blender for a MultiChannel Mixer. To get the wood grain to match the planks, the Lumberyard shader tools is used, matching the Planks settings for X, Y and Z counts.

Click on the image to see the settings I used here.

Mark

ptsulli ( ) posted Sat, 21 February 2009 at 6:26 PM

Thank you all for the input, Especially Mark, despite the fact that I wasn't  that coherent with the original request.  A deck is exactly what I need. I seem to have problems with the easier things and and can figure out the tough ones.
  BTW, Mark, the VTC tutorials are great, they really helped me figure out a couple of things that were bugging me..  I found them by accident when I was studying for one of my techy tests, that led me to dark arts,  and the road down the mountain side that leads to the pier,  that I need a deck on. So I guess this is your fault anyway  :lol:
  Thank you all again,  It's great to be back in 3D

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Sat, 21 February 2009 at 6:37 PM

Thanks for the kind words. Glad the tuts helped out. :D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.