Sun, Oct 6, 5:01 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Glowing Question

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 1:53 PM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 7:24 AM

Forgive me for this newbie question.

I am wondering about making something glow.  Not and entire object, but just a piece of it.

What I have is a number of computer screens from Davo's SFCS in a spaceship cockpit.

Now, I have gone through the shader and added glow with a value (and I've experimented with different values), but when I render, what is odd is when part of the screen is in shadow (there is lightsource outside of the ship) it shows the base colour I have chosen (a light blue), but the part that is in the light show the texture and looks brighter then the part in the shadow.

I guess what I need to know is if I need to attach the texture to the glow channel somehow (I can't seem to add more then one parameter, I have chosen Value 1-100%).  Also, this seems not to really glow.  Can I add Anything Glows to just a shader instead of an entire object?

If someone can just point me to a tut, that would work too.

Thanks!

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 2:08 PM

One thing you may want to be using is global illumination. When GI is on, the glow channel on an object contributes to the scene as lighting. I don't have Carrara in front of me, but I'm pretty sure you can put in a texture map for the glow channel, to adjut the color. I know you can set the glow to be, say, a multiplier, and put your color in one side and a value in the other, to adjust it.

GKDantas ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 3:19 PM

Even the "Aura" and Anything Glow only works in a whole object, so in many times we need to create a copy of the glow surface to use in the scene. You can use GI but it will take more time to render. Can you show your image so I can help you better?

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 4:38 PM

file_426012.jpg

To be clear, are you trying to do something like this where the glow is consistent between  shadow and illuminated areas like the image I posted?

noviski ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 4:45 PM

ThrommArcadia, if you post a render of your scene, it makes more easy to help you. :)

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:10 PM

Sorry, I'm at work right now, so I can't post an image, I will do so when I get home tonight.

But, yes MarkBremmer that is the effect I'm looking for.  If you imagine in you r image, what I'm getting is no texture on the side in shadow.  I am a newbie with Carrara for the most part, but I think what CaptainJack1 mentioned makes some sense, the part about the multiplier in the shader.  I'm so used to Poser's shader style, so I have a lot to learn in Carrara admittedly.

I'll post an image later.  What I'm aiming for in the final is an animation of a spaceship flying through space with the controls all lit up, providing some interest to the cockpit.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:59 PM

Ahhhh. You need to duplicate the color channel into the glow channel then.

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 10:00 PM

file_426035.jpg

Okay, here is what I have.  This is my first attempt.  (I am only working on the large screen on the left infront of the pilot fo now, when I have the proper result I will go back and adjust all of them.)

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 10:01 PM

file_426036.jpg

Now after reading some advice here, this is what I've got set up for my shader.

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 10:06 PM

file_426037.jpg

And here is the render with the above shader applied to the screen.

You can still see how it is brighter under the light then where it is in shadow.  Shouldn't a glowing object (and I have the value set at 100% in this case) like a computer screen no longer be affected (effected?) by lighting conditions?  (Well, glare on a shiny object, but I have the shininess turned off.)

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 10:08 PM

I just noticed that the Highlight was enabled in this shader, so I have now set that to none (it was a black color anyway), but I am still getting the same result as above.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 10:11 PM

Almost there. I'd use your base color art to specifically create a texture for the glow channel. the lighter the color, the more intense the glow. So, you may want to turn everything black except the glowing portion and brighten that up in your texture editor/painting program.

If you're interested, you already have an example in your browser that shipped with Carrara. Look under your shaders > Misc > and there is a shader called "Control Panel". It's the one that I used for my example. There are different textures for color, bump, shininess, highlight and Glow. After looking at that, you'll have an "aha" moment for sure.

Mark

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 10:15 PM

Thanks Mark, I'll go check that out right now!

noviski ( ) posted Fri, 13 March 2009 at 9:45 AM

I see you're using a Multiply operator at your Glow channel (Texture Map + Value). You can try this: Just keep the Texture Map and maybe decreasing the Brightnes of the Texture (slider button at these channel's tab). Sorry, my English sucks, but I hope you can understand my suggestions... :(

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.