Fri, Oct 4, 12:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: When rigging, do I have to worry about those inner/outer mat spheres?

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 20 May 2009 at 11:55 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 12:20 PM

I'm about to start my first practical rigging project. (A lovely mermaid tail for Yuki)

Do I have to worry about those inner/outer mat spheres?
Or can I accept what ever defaults the setup room will generate?  If it generates.

thanks.

Cheers,
Lara

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 20 May 2009 at 12:45 PM

Don't worry about them, because that will get you nowhere - but you may have to adjust them, yes. :) See how the tail performs and we'll take it from there. 

odf ( ) posted Wed, 20 May 2009 at 9:16 PM · edited Wed, 20 May 2009 at 9:16 PM

If you don't use them (i.e. leave them turned off), you don't have to worry about their position. If you do turn them on, though, you'll have to adjust them, because Poser's default is to drop them to the floor.

For a tail I don't imagine you'll need them. Inclusion/exclusion angles should be enough.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 27 May 2009 at 10:50 AM

here's an animation clip of the Mertail so far.  This is with whatever defaults were set with drawing the bones.

http://www.realmsandgalaxies.com/wings3d/Movie.wmv  (420k)

Creating the bones was pretty straight forward.  I found it easier to initially draw the bones next to the figure and then dragging into the center of the model.

So, next is the inclusion/exclusion thingees?
And I should rename the parameter dials to twist, bend, etc.

attached is the model so far in Wings3d, if anyone wants to play with it.

Cheers,Lara

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 27 May 2009 at 10:51 AM

oops, renderosity says the .wings file has an invalid extension.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 27 May 2009 at 11:50 AM

Attached Link: mertail wings wip

file_431711.jpg

link if you want to copy the file - 

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 27 May 2009 at 2:07 PM

renaming the dials is a convenience issue for the user. It just makes it clearer which way the thing will move . You may also want to set the limits for each dial.   You could also consider , after its finished , to add some erc dials for movement of the entire tail.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 27 May 2009 at 2:24 PM

another neat trick is to get it to conform to TY's hip.

When I do the 'conform to' command the tail is rotating in the z plane. 
at least when I zero pose the tail, it straightens.

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 27 May 2009 at 6:20 PM

comform aligns the joints of the two figures . YOu would want to be really careful with the joint positioning and rotation order .

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 28 May 2009 at 12:33 PM

do you mean the hip bones have to line up exactly?

svdl ( ) posted Fri, 29 May 2009 at 1:27 AM

You need another "helper" bone that doesn't have any geometry assigned: abdomen or waist (I dont know the name of the first bone above the hip in TY's case). It should have exactly the same joint parameters as the abdomen/waist bone of TY, just as the hip does.

Actually, the easiest way to rig the tail is to use TY's rigging as a donor. Remove all bones above the abdomen, add your own tail bones to the hip, then delete the right and left leg bones. Result: a perfectly conforming tail.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Fri, 29 May 2009 at 11:01 AM

cool. 

I didn't know I could have bones without geometry. 
Come to think of it, that's probably where those free floating bone handles come from.

Thanks!  This should keep me busy over the weekend.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.