Fri, Oct 4, 12:13 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: group editor to create new smoothing group? how to access the new groups smoothi

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 16 July 2009 at 11:14 AM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 12:55 AM

from what I was reading,
it says you can use the group editor to define polys for a new smoothing group
to make a 'second skin' act like the neck or sleeve of a t-shirt (harder edge, right?).

it's probably staring me in the face, and I can't see it.

how do I access the smoothing parameter dial for the group I just made?
I'm not finding it in the bodypart dropdown list.

Thanks!

I should change my username to Klutzy

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

geep ( ) posted Thu, 16 July 2009 at 12:25 PM

Hi Misty,

The Group Editor in Poser can not create new groups of polygons, per se.  That is, you can not create new polygons, i.e., increase the total number of polygons in a figure.  You can only use the Grouping Tool to select certain (existing) polygons to assign material or assign them to a "smoothing group" as opposed to a group of polygons that is not assigned to a smoothing group.  Polygons that are not assigned to a smoothing group may have hard edges as opposed to smooth edges.

Smooth edges are used for figures to smooth transitions between body parts, etc.

Hard (not smooth) edges are normally used for mechanical type of object props such as a box that would look funny if you smoothed the edges.  That could make it look like a round balloon.

Hope this help asplain things 😄

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 16 July 2009 at 12:47 PM · edited Thu, 16 July 2009 at 12:48 PM

How do I get to the smoothing group parameter on the new smoothing group?

or rather I should say, the crease parameter on the new smoothing group?

thanks. -Lara

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

geep ( ) posted Thu, 16 July 2009 at 5:17 PM

Sorry Lara, :sad:

I have played with this "feature" for several hours and ...
... can not make it work per the instructions in the manual.  :cursing: ___ %&@$%@$#**

Perhaps someone else will happen along and can shed some light on this "mystery."

cheers, (anyway)
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 16 July 2009 at 5:27 PM · edited Thu, 16 July 2009 at 5:28 PM

one can assign a new material name to a new group of polygons in group editor.
said group (material) can use a displacement map to give it a ridge, as in the displacement between a sleeve end and the skin.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Fri, 17 July 2009 at 9:35 AM

Quote - Sorry Lara, :sad:

I have played with this "feature" for several hours and ...
... can not make it work per the instructions in the manual.  :cursing: ___ %&@$%@$#**

Perhaps someone else will happen along and can shed some light on this "mystery."

cheers, (anyway)
dr geep
;=]

Thanks Dr. Geep.  I appreciate the time you spent to help.

I have a theory some stuff in the manual is a carry over from earlier versions, that don't work anymore.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Fri, 17 July 2009 at 9:44 AM

Quote - one can assign a new material name to a new group of polygons in group editor.
said group (material) can use a displacement map to give it a ridge, as in the displacement between a sleeve end and the skin.

it would be a handy feature, if poser could export a uv map of the new material group.
it's hard to find the corresponding part of the 'under-lying' texturemap. 

unless, someone has worked this out already?

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 17 July 2009 at 2:46 PM

yes, they've worked that out.  assign a material zone to each group and then run one of the scripts that gives a different colour to contiguous zones.  they use it for texture seams.  but this "smoothing group" appears to be something else.  like if one is doing a smooth-shaded preview and one wants creases to appear somewhere away from a body part edge, in an analogous way to setting the same toon ID so there will be a line between groups that are to use a different toon shader.  the main place where the new group names appear is in deformer zone dropdown lists.  I don't see anywhere to set smoothing and crease angle for the new group.  I don't see any python variables for it, either.

shuy ( ) posted Fri, 17 July 2009 at 5:54 PM

I think you mean "crase angle" option (default 0,80).

If yes you cannot assign different "crease angle" parameters to 1 mesh - or I do not know how to do it. Anyway you can set it to separate mesh - prop or body part in parameters/properties window. It is visible in preview mode and on render when you check "smooth polygon" option.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 17 July 2009 at 5:58 PM

you can assign a new smoothing/crease angle, per group area,  from the parameters pallet in poser 6/7/Pro.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.