Sun, Oct 6, 5:52 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Poser 8... First Impressions

Whichway ( ) posted Sat, 22 August 2009 at 8:40 PM · edited Sat, 22 August 2009 at 8:43 PM

Startup P3DO Explorer. Select Runtime in the Folders pane. From the Tools Menu, select Convert Rsr2Png.... Apply to All files and let 'er rip.

That should fix the RSR problems for you, at least.

Whichway

lkendall ( ) posted Sat, 22 August 2009 at 8:52 PM

When I use P3DO (free) on Windows Vista 64-bit. I have to navagate the program directly to a directory with RSR files before it will convert anything. It is a bit of a bother, but it does convert the files.

If there is a way to get the free P3DO to convert a whole runtime directory, I would very much know how it is done. A free batch converter (that could do a whole runtime) would be a real blessings.

LMK

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

BiggDevo ( ) posted Sat, 22 August 2009 at 9:47 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

I have tried to use P3DO with no luck. This experience is really P!$$!NG me off. I should have known that the new Poser 8 was the same half A$$ attempt as previous releases. If I don't change my mind, I'll send mine back, and stick with my poser pro. Besides the problems with content, Poser 8 is constantly crashing so I think it's a "windows millinium" a worthless program put out to make a buck, and to hell with user!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 22 August 2009 at 10:43 PM · edited Sat, 22 August 2009 at 10:46 PM

Damn, who leaked the plan? How did they figure out that the entire point of P8 was to piss people off?

Cancel SR1! They do not want things to work - they would have nothing to complain about. Who's stupid idea was it to fix the problems? That is not at all consistent with the plan.

I have a new idea!!! I will make the thumbnails only 6 pixels high. The users will be so pi$$ed off they will fart constantly with anguish. I will be very amused.

I will post a fix in the new FreeStuff area, but I will require 537,437 clicks to get past the ads, so nobody will actually get it. HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

indigone ( ) posted Sat, 22 August 2009 at 11:23 PM

And now we return you to your regularly scheduled forum.

Einzelganger ( ) posted Sun, 23 August 2009 at 12:29 AM · edited Sun, 23 August 2009 at 12:32 AM

Heres the link to a free prog that converts all rsr's in one go neocron.lunarpages.com/library/installer/RSR%20Converter_1_0_0_1.zip it takes a good few minutes but does the job.

I did suggest a mod sticky's this link but i think it got buried before one could read it.
ah yes credit to Dizzi for the link btw.

Einzy.

ACK! i just tried the link and it seems to be down.
if someone wants to host the file somewhere i can send it (if thats allowed)

Einzy.

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Sun, 23 August 2009 at 5:56 AM

When I choose render Settings the sketch setting panel flashes up briefly before the Firefly panel loads.
Anyone else found this?
(PowerMac G5, OSX 10.5.8 Leopard)

MikeJ ( ) posted Sun, 23 August 2009 at 6:32 AM

Quote -
Besides the problems with content, Poser 8 is constantly crashing so I think it's a "windows millinium" a worthless program put out to make a buck, and to hell with user!

Well your experiences with it constantly crashing and content problems don't seem to be shared by all, and I don't particularly agree with the anger with which you stated your obviously emotional reply...
I'd say relax, they're gonna take care of it. This isn't almost-bankrupt-and-desperate Curious Labs and Poser 5 here, or Shade-Obsession E Frontier, this is Smith Micro, a company with a great deal more resources and a reputation to uphold.
Since you joined here only fairly recently, you probably don't get that analogy...

But not to sound like I'm fanboy-praising it or them, I do agree somewhat with the Windows Millenium analogy. Unless they add some more new features along with the SR 1, Poser 8 looks to me more like a .5 upgrade. Poser 7.5. I'm probably a little biased when it comes to things like that though, because my primary app is Lightwave and Newtek always adds ridiculous amounts of free point upgrades to each version, and a whole mess of point releases with all kinds of added tools. In their world, Poser 8 would have been Poser 7.5.1 and would have been free for Poser 7 buyers and had all the Poser Pro stuff in it too.
Then again, it IS cheap. You should see the Maya crowd, totally pissed off because they're spending thousands on Maya 2010, which hardly adds anything new, but a few compositing tools Autodesk needed to find a home for because nobody's been buying.

Anyway, I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough. I managed to talk my girlfriend into buying it so I can continue saving my money for the full version of Maya when my educational license expires. ;-)
And for Poser Pro 2010, which I'm sure will be a helluva lot closer to what I'd like to see Poser become.

Bagginsbill, please don't sabotage the SR like you did the GUI.
We all should have seen that coming though - nobody is as generous and helpful as you've been without having some evil ulterior motive. ;-)

Silke ( ) posted Sun, 23 August 2009 at 7:26 AM

Actually one thing that really bugs me...

When I click "Render", my view switches from the pose room to the material room, every single time. I'd rather the render window popped up black, than repeat a sort of screenshot of the material room.
It's cosmetic, but it annoys me.

Silke

ratscloset ( ) posted Sun, 23 August 2009 at 2:17 PM

Quote - Actually one thing that really bugs me...

When I click "Render", my view switches from the pose room to the material room, every single time. I'd rather the render window popped up black, than repeat a sort of screenshot of the material room.
It's cosmetic, but it annoys me.

It should not do that... It should switch to the Render Tab of the Pose Room, if you are in the Pose Room.

ratscloset
aka John

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sun, 23 August 2009 at 4:11 PM

You should see the Maya crowd, totally pissed off because they're spending thousands on Maya 2010, which hardly adds anything new, but a few compositing tools Autodesk needed to find a home for because nobody's been buying.

...Speaking about Autodesk: I don't know nothing about Maya, but I pay €650,- (abour $1000,-)  a year for my autocad subscription, just to get its yearly upgrade, and I have to because every three upgrades Autodesk calls the older ones obsolete and you can't upgrade anymore or you have to buy a brand new version. And are those upgrades without bugs? No, also autodesk comes with hotfixes and service releases, and that for a software application that cost in europe over a €3500,-
So I'm not surprised nor complaining (Only to SM) about some bugs or crashes in Poser 8. Not I don't have any but I think it's all part of the game.

I don't agree that poser 8 should be poser 7.5, They rewrote the entire renderengine, and the library, and that are two mayor parts of the software. Everyone, including yours truly, was complaing about those parts in poser 5,6,and 7, and now they have done something about it. Of course it isn't perfect in the first time, but believe me there is no such thing as a faultless product, after 30 years of engineering I seen enough to prove that.

I'm happy with the new render-improvements, although I will have to learn a lot new tricks to get the best out of it and I like the new library, okay the icons could be bigger, but that will change in the SR1.

best regards,

Bopper.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

MikeJ ( ) posted Sun, 23 August 2009 at 4:22 PM · edited Sun, 23 August 2009 at 4:22 PM

Well I did say I was probably a little biased as I was comparing it to NewTek's upgrade policy for LightWave.
But yeah, it was an exaggeration on my part to call it Poser 7.5. Clearly they deserve much credit for bringing the render engine more into the 21st century.

And yeah, nobody has a worse upgrade policy than Autodesk.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sun, 23 August 2009 at 4:40 PM

I think every software company has its own policy: For the upgrade from Vue7 infinite to 7.5 you had to pay. I think in this case I'll wait till the 8 version on this one.
In my opinion I think SM is more listening to its users, they really try(!) to fix problems.

Bopper.

BiggDevo ( ) posted Sun, 23 August 2009 at 5:44 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Many sincere thanks to those who help.

No thanks to those with the smart-ass sarcasm, you know who you are.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sun, 23 August 2009 at 6:37 PM · edited Sun, 23 August 2009 at 6:38 PM

@BiggDevo:

Which OS are using?

If it's vista (64bit), I had the same problem. I believe it has  to do with the UAC in Vista. I also installed DAZ-content  in Poser 8 and it never showed up. I surpassed the issue by making a runtime on another drive and linking that to the poser 8 library and installing my daz-content there, but the search function still doesn't work on external runtimes. But I really,really hope SM will fix the problem in the next SR1.

regards,

Bopper.

adzan ( ) posted Tue, 25 August 2009 at 6:37 PM

follow on information from my first impression:  JFYI.

If your copy of Poser 8 is constantly using 50% of your CPU even with an empty scene -  it's the Paremeters Dials when displaying a Camera, iv'e sent a ticket to Smith Micro.
until they fix it - only displaying the camera dials when needed will free up the CPU.

hope it helps...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.