Sun, Oct 6, 5:58 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: A Dummies Guide to Indirect Lighting in Poser 8

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 04 October 2009 at 10:26 AM

Went to check archibase and it wants me to install a toolbar?!? Really? I have to install crapware to get a frigging chair?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 04 October 2009 at 2:10 PM
Online Now!

Just to get back to the background/photo shader, could this arrangement be applicable to RDNA Terradome?  It would seem logical for the skydome image to be anti-TM corrected since it meet this criteria.

bantha ( ) posted Sun, 04 October 2009 at 2:58 PM

I have a virtual machine for things like that toolbar. But, since I haven't found any usage informations, I don't know if it's worth the time.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

bantha ( ) posted Sun, 04 October 2009 at 3:42 PM

By the way, try 3DBar.net. No software, just the models. Look if they are in 3ds-format, though, some are .max only.  

-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 04 October 2009 at 5:52 PM

Quote - Just to get back to the background/photo shader, could this arrangement be applicable to RDNA Terradome?  It would seem logical for the skydome image to be anti-TM corrected since it meet this criteria.

Yes - this is exactly the scenario - a photo that is not reacting to local lighting needs to be presented exactly as is.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 04 October 2009 at 6:00 PM

BB,
very nice renders, one remark.

Is there a problem with the shadow of the plant lower left corner?
No shadow on the pot. . . . shadow on the sand, but not on the inside of the pot? (From the light coming from the right?)
Otherwise very nice setup. . . .
It is one of my next projects to build my house in Poser. . Pfffft, so many things to do.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 04 October 2009 at 6:54 PM

I don't know about that shadow - i didn't notice it. I don't really care about hte props. I had just finished 10 hours on the room and wanted to fill it with some stuff - didn't care what that stuff did really.

Slowhands ( ) posted Tue, 06 October 2009 at 9:40 PM

I haven't heard about Poser 8's Service Pack. I was under the impression that it would be out about now. And Improvement in Render times with the lighting. Poser 8 has great render times as is, but improment times are allways a plus.

Believable3D ( ) posted Tue, 06 October 2009 at 9:55 PM

I guess you haven't been following the forum, because SR-1 has been talked about at length on numerous threads.

Download the service release here:

my.smithmicro.com/win/poser/updates.html

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

Wild_Dog ( ) posted Thu, 05 November 2009 at 11:56 PM

Quote - Went to check archibase and it wants me to install a toolbar?!? Really? I have to install crapware to get a frigging chair?

Can you tell me how to get rid of the toolbar/uninstall it?

vincebagna ( ) posted Fri, 06 November 2009 at 3:11 AM

If it's for Firefox, through the module window, if it's for IE, through the programs configuration.

My Store

Anthanasius ( ) posted Fri, 06 November 2009 at 3:16 AM

Archibase is bad, the furnitures are here http://archive3d.net/

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

Wild_Dog ( ) posted Fri, 06 November 2009 at 10:02 AM

Quote - If it's for Firefox, through the module window, if it's for IE, through the programs configuration.

Eh, i apologize for being technologicaly ignorant, but what exactly is the module window as well as how do i remove archibase toolbar from it?

kobaltkween ( ) posted Fri, 06 November 2009 at 1:49 PM

i hope this doesn't confuse anything, but i'm wondering about the statement regarding corrected materials.  you mean the final correction, right?  not that we shouldn't linearize/anti-correct our color (textures, simple colors, etc.) input?                                                                                

jdcooke ( ) posted Sat, 07 November 2009 at 10:29 AM

Thanks for the link Anthanasius.

take care

ice-boy ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 12:26 PM

is it possible that with IDL lighting the light is leaking through one sided planes?

should we use boxes for walls?

carodan ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 12:47 PM

Quote - Whoa - we seem to have some things mixed up.

With IDL, we cannot use GC shaders. These are producing non-linear voltage levels for display on monitors, not actual luminance values. When you give IDL voltage levels instead of linear luminance levels, it makes nonsense.

Sorry to be picking this up again...do you mean that with IDL we cannot use GC shaders for reflections or all materials.
This kind of explains one problem for me but presents another. For a time I did stop using GC in the VSS PR3 skin shaders but I was finding that even with Tone Mapping this was creating very heavy dark shadowing on models under armpits and in eye sockets etc, especially where GI was doing most of the lighting. This seemed particularly acute with bright outdoor scenes lit with the EnvSphere and maybe a couple of other lights. I tried a variety of Equirectangular maps and HDRI's. Using GC shaders and no TM seemed to prevent this.
Conversely, in low lighting setups the non GC shader setup rendered with IDL and TM were much better than with GC shaders and no TM.

So it seems certain lighting conditions favours different approaches...?

PoserPro2014(Sr4), Win7 x64, display units set to inches.

www.danielroseartnew.weebly.com

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 12:57 PM
Online Now!

BB recommended recently that if you are considering using P8 Tone mapping in your render, dispense with Gc (If shaders are present, set Gc = 1) and use HSV exponential = 2.  It is not quite the same but it's close under the circumstances.

carodan ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 1:08 PM

Mmmm...but in bright lighting conditions with IDL this often seems to result in the dark occlusion shadowing that I mentioned.
I need to take another look at this and post some examples.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 1:13 PM · edited Tue, 15 December 2009 at 1:14 PM

i think that's not the issue.  that is, yes, Tone Mapping is a color correction technique.  so it doesn't make sense to use it and GC, i'm sure.  the issue is if you're still doing calculations after the shader is produced,   the IDL calculation is, like all other calculations, linear.  if you feed it non-linear information in the form of your shaders, that's a problem.

basically, these means you can linearize your input, but you shouldn't correct anything but the whole render. you could do that several ways, including bagginsbill's artistic lens trick.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 1:27 PM

Quote - is it possible that with IDL lighting the light is leaking through one sided planes?

should we use boxes for walls?

I know it leaked at one time. Does it still leak? I can't remember. I have so many test cases and after 2 SR's I'm really confused about what happens anymore.

The reason I haven't run into this and therefore know the answer is because I always use enclosed objects now, because I generate my rooms automatically using Python. And my walls are much more complicated, what with all the windows, doors, arches, etc.

ice-boy ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 1:28 PM

it leaked in my last render. but i think it didnt leak before(SR2).

so its so strange.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 1:37 PM

I still get leakage...a little maddening.

Comitted to excellence through art.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 1:49 PM · edited Tue, 15 December 2009 at 1:53 PM

file_444824.png

Re GC versus TM, here is a graph of the reponse curves.

Solid red is the GC 2.2 correction.
Solid blue is the TM 2.0 correction.

Dotted red is the apparent luminance of GC'd colors on a monitor with gamma 2.2. (Obviously it is a straight line - and no other color mapping will produce this straight line.)

Dotted blue is the apparent luminance of TM'd colors on a monitor with gamma 2.2.

=====

What am I planning to do with P8? Nothing. I have Poser Pro 2010 now - with GC and IDL.

If I had to stick with P8, I'd change my shaders to do anti-gamma on incoming material, no outgoing GC, use IDL, no tone mapping, then do the GC in post. If I was in a hurry, I'd use the artistic lens to do the final GC and avoid postwork.

How to do GC in post? I'd write a program or a plugin for Photoshop. Or maybe Photoshop already does it.

I've played around with "Fill Light" in Picasa. It seems to be close to GC, but I'm not sure, and since it is set up for people who are not like me, it's a workflow that is hard to reproduce. Basically, slide the slider until it looks right.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 1:51 PM

file_444825.png

If you use the D3D Render Firefly dialog, you can adjust the TM gain.

With an exponent of 2 and a gain of 1.15, the blue (TM) curves shift to this.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 2:43 PM

so still no sRGB correction in Poser Pro?  ah, well.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 2:59 PM

file_444837.png

Hmm. Here's an interesting idea combining GC and HSV ETM. Don't ask me how I came up with the math to derive these parameters I'm going to tell you. Your head will explode.

In any GC shader (VSS or otherwise) set the gamma to 1.3. In VSS skin, drop PM:SSS to .3.

Using the D3D Render Firefly dialog, set the tone mapping gain to 1.33. Note: The gain is not labeled. It's the first number, next to the Enabled checkbox. Set the exponent to 1.4.

See screen shot.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 3:00 PM

file_444838.jpg

This setup actually gets you close to sRGB. Here's how it looks. I chose the clothing to demonstrate what happens to darks and lights.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 3:24 PM

Quote - Hmm. Here's an interesting idea combining GC and HSV ETM. Don't ask me how I came up with the math to derive these parameters I'm going to tell you. Your head will explode.

oooo, nice!  wow, thanks so much for the info. yet another trick to go into my files.  and i'm very sure you're right about the 'sploding. 

Anthanasius ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 4:35 PM

that want say all material need to have the structure of GC shader with antigamma to put it at 1.3 if i understand correctly .

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 4:38 PM

file_444842.jpg

I used my VSS shader which only has a single gamma settings, both for anti-gamma (in) and gamma (out). So yes it was 1.3 in both directions. The clothing I didn't touch - it is standard shaders with no GC. That's the beauty of using *some* HSV ETM - it will work fine for most things. Only skin is so tricky that you want to GC it some, to provide what is missing from HSV ETM alone. (Look at my graphs above to see).

Here is a larger version, with hair, too. I also used a GC 1.3 hair shader I made. I wish I had better hair - in particular, the hair texture doesn't have enough detail to bring out the highlights properly. Oh well.

Render time was just under 8 minutes. Click for full size.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 5:11 PM

IDL leakage (if any) might be ameliorated using welded wall/wall and wall/floor edges.  if it's just poser boxes as walls/floors and touching each other, that might be a problem at low IDL IC.  it was in sr0 and sr1 anyway.  DL light leakage (shadow dial<1.000) is still a feature (not a bug) of P8SR2.

carodan ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 8:39 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_444858.jpg

bb - that's a very good happy medium between shader GC and P8 tone mapping. Solves most of the issues I was having in brighter lighting setups. (ignore the eyes) Thanks for yet another display of mathmatical excellence.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 9:22 PM

That looks great, Dan.

carodan ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 9:49 PM · edited Tue, 15 December 2009 at 9:52 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_444861.jpg

:) What really impresses me about this is that before, using either just shader GC or just Tone mapping, maintaining a brightness in the highlights as well as a natural transition of tonal values was really tricky. This setup really helps, dramatically. It holds ip very well under low lighting as well. I pushed the SSS value higher for this (0.7).

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2009 at 11:15 PM · edited Tue, 15 December 2009 at 11:16 PM

file_444866.jpg

Heh. I was just playing with the same sort of lighting. There's still too much skin-to-skin glow under the arms, I think.

Anthanasius ( ) posted Wed, 16 December 2009 at 3:05 AM

Quote - Heh. I was just playing with the same sort of lighting. There's still too much skin-to-skin glow under the arms, I think.

I've say that a few mounth ago, light emit by VSS is very high !

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 16 December 2009 at 7:23 AM

Quote - > Quote - Heh. I was just playing with the same sort of lighting. There's still too much skin-to-skin glow under the arms, I think.

You said that like it was some sort of revelation.

Just to be clear, it isn't VSS, it is GC, and it isn't too high at all FOR DISPLAY. It is too high to use as luminance data in GI. I said months ago that you musn't use shader GC with P8 IDL. But people keep trying to do it.

ksanderson ( ) posted Wed, 16 December 2009 at 9:46 AM

Quote -

Just to be clear, it isn't VSS, it is GC, and it isn't too high at all FOR DISPLAY. It is too high to use as luminance data in GI. I said months ago that you musn't use shader GC with P8 IDL. But people keep trying to do it.

Isn't that the definition of insanity? ;)

Thanks for all the great tips!!!

Kevin

carodan ( ) posted Wed, 16 December 2009 at 10:02 AM

Quote -

I guess it's just a limitation of P8 we have to accept - SM decided rendertime GC was a pro feature.
Personally I've found P8 tone mapping gives less than desirable results (I admit I don't understand all the math involved), particularly with skin using VSS without shader GC in bright lighting using IDL. At least I now have a clearer understanding why that is.

How much is PoserPro 2010 goung to retail at?

kobaltkween ( ) posted Wed, 16 December 2009 at 10:23 AM

you can linearize the input with shaders, and either use the artistic lens trick to correct the final result or correct the final result after the fact.  you could even do the latter in Poser if you want by using your render as a corrected texture for a plane.  even though i know the latter would be kind of crazy, and having uncorrected output isn't convenient, it shouldn't prevent you from doing corrected renders at all in P8.

Anthanasius ( ) posted Wed, 16 December 2009 at 11:24 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - Heh. I was just playing with the same sort of lighting. There's still too much skin-to-skin glow under the arms, I think.

You said that like it was some sort of revelation.

Ouffffffff i'm not in the people :-) Since p8 sr0 i dont use GC ;-)

carodan ( ) posted Wed, 16 December 2009 at 4:26 PM

Well, this is a 'dummies' guide. I'll put my hands up and confess to being such, in certain respects at least.
My curse is that my observation skills far exceed my technical understanding in the material room...oh, and I have a poor memory. I can often make things work based on what I think they 'should' look like, but that usually leads to one-render solutions and at a fair cost of time.
I feel I've rarely been able to move past the technical stumbling blocks to really focus on trivial aspects like composition.

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Wed, 16 December 2009 at 10:07 PM

Ok just for clarification (To me a dummie ), It is ok to use vss skin shader with IDL and GC (if it comes from poser pro 2010 renders setting), not just the GC within the skin shader, right?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 16 December 2009 at 10:53 PM

I'd agree if you reverse the order of "not just" to "just not" the GC within the skin shdaer.

The VSS skin shader is not a problem with IDL - it's the GC part. The rule is simple - if you're using IDL, your shader must produce the true linear luminance for its material. Compensation for monitor gamma must happen after IDL calculates its results. Render GC will do that in Poser Pro 2010.

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Thu, 17 December 2009 at 3:03 AM

Oh right you are. I meant "just not" not the other way around, guess I was fearing the math (the one make my head explode).

bantha ( ) posted Thu, 17 December 2009 at 4:19 AM

So, if I got this right, there won't be a possibility to do GC with IDL outside of Poser Pro?

-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 17 December 2009 at 4:26 AM

i understand that BB is a perfectionist. but other then Carodan i dont know who makes so good renders that you would need GC and IDL together.

with good lighting and a good skin shader you can use TM with IDL and it will look fine.

IMO.

carodan ( ) posted Thu, 17 December 2009 at 8:09 AM

I'm really busy with work so haven't got a lot of time.
I've partly come to realise that some of the issues I've encountered using VSS PR3 and IDL with outdoor setups have been related to placement of lights in conjunction with the EnvSphere (or IBL) that produced very dark shadowing in the recesses of models (armpits, eye sockets etc). I had used shader GC (rather than Tone mapping) to rectify this which seemed to work for outdoor scenes, but had adverse effects under low lighting. This is because (as bb has pointed out many times) the shader GC causes the PR3 skin to react much more with the diffuse bounce-light of IDL.
Hopefully I can come back later to illustrate with a few renders to show exactly what I was encountering and why the shader GC 'seemed' to work. I think it might serve as a good example as to some of the pitfalls of the new IDL lighting.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 17 December 2009 at 9:36 AM
Online Now!

I will be interested in your results, Dan.  It might help us avoid some of those pitfalls in the future.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.