Sun, Oct 6, 6:04 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: A Dummies Guide to Indirect Lighting in Poser 8

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 26 April 2010 at 10:54 AM

No - the FFRender script's chief advantage is full control over IDL parameters.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Vex ( ) posted Mon, 26 April 2010 at 11:05 AM

ok thats what i thought - though miss nancy's statement ( i failed @ quoting ) made it sound like there was a switch or something to make it flip on specular lol

JAG ( ) posted Sun, 06 June 2010 at 3:40 PM

JWFokker noted that scaling up the model will help with reducing the annoying black artifacts.  He would be correct.  I have tried maxing out the D3D controls on the IDL and I was still getting those tiny little black spots along the shadow lines between body parts and clothing that was tightly close together.  Nothing helped.  In fact, the higher I adjusted my firefly controls, the more of the tiny flecks that appeared.  On a lark, I increased the overall body size of my V4 to 500% and voila!  The flecks are completely gone.  I was using one infinite shadow casting light set with an IBL and a non-shadow complimentary light from below.  Unsure if this will work with point lights without having to move them a lot more.  But again, the black flecks disappeared entirely and the render is perfect with character set to 500% in size.

Thank you JW for noting that.   Also thanks to Bill for guiding us as always. 

MatCreator ( ) posted Wed, 09 February 2011 at 11:17 AM

It would be nice to have a series of presets supplied. One of these scriptwriters could do it.

The presets would be categorized into type of scene, then each have options like:

No Raytracing Or IDL

• Medium Quality
  • Hi Quality
  • Ultimate Render

Raytracing Without IDL

• Medium Quality
  • Hi Quality
  • Ultimate Render

Raytracing With IDL

• Medium Quality
  • Hi Quality
  • Ultimate Render

That was the best part of this thread, as most of this is wayyyyyyyyyy over my head, and I am very late to the game... Read the whole thing, and am still clueless. Marinating, give it a while to tenderize and flavor the meat.....

There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that can't..

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 09 February 2011 at 1:18 PM

If it was only that easy.  However, you can save your own presets that work well for you in your render settings.  At least, you won't need to rely on settings which only get you "in the ball park".

MatCreator ( ) posted Wed, 09 February 2011 at 1:41 PM

I'm getting there... Dentistry w/o the novacaine I suppose =P

I'm just too "eager" for the learning curve of lighting in what feels like a new program...

There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that can't..

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 09 February 2011 at 1:44 PM

Consider it more like an evolution.  It does take time.

MatCreator ( ) posted Wed, 09 February 2011 at 2:01 PM

Sorry if I come off as a pita =/ It feels at times like I'm the only one doing hundreds of test renders, but I know that isn't the case =P Anything to ease that pain is welcomed... You are an outstanding member of the communty, I wonder about how you guys aqcuire your knowledge of these programs... Who were/are the people you fall back on for tips and such?!?

Time... When pressed for that precious, intangible resource, it is better to load a light setting preset so I can spend time modeling and texturing rather than doing test renders =P

I'll get the hang of it..... It's hard not to get envious of others oh-so-awesome results, we don't "see" the time it took to get to that point.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 09 February 2011 at 2:09 PM

You have an eagerness to learn.  That is not being a PITA.  There are a tremendous number of individuals always willing and able to help.  Don't be afraid, just ask away.  That's why we roam the forum.

MatCreator ( ) posted Wed, 09 February 2011 at 2:42 PM

Superman as an avatar is fitting for you =)

Thank you...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.