Sun, Oct 6, 6:09 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: A Dummies Guide to Indirect Lighting in Poser 8

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2009 at 1:10 AM

No, it's not quite as bad as that - each unit of 1 on the master dial, will dial up the slave lights Intensity by a half a percent.  So the effect of a single 80% light should be just 80% divided by 7 = 11.4 or so.  I suppose I could scale the master dial so that 100 = seven lights at 14.3%, but this makes it messy for anyone who might want to use less than seven lights - I felt it made more sense to leave the master dial on a 1:1 ratio as the slave lights (even though it isn't, really).

I still have problems with the whole intensity setup going nuts anyway, I'm not sure if this will ever work well. 

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2009 at 8:50 AM

I've come across another caveat.  The master Red Greeen Blue dials also do not work correctly - since the slave lights are already dialed to 1.0 on each channel, adjusting the master color dial only does half of what it's supposed to.  I can compensate for this on the dial (simpler) or have the lights load in with zeroed color values (more correct result).  This is so flaky I don't really want to give it out.

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2009 at 12:32 PM

Finally I've figured out what is making the lights go nuts.  Adjusting the child lights via a pose file causes this.  Once it occurs in an active scene, it won't go away until the document is closed (revert to saved or some such).  While this is "a bug", I doubt any of what I'm doing is especially supported by Smith Micro, so I don't know if it's worthwhile to submit a bug ticket on this.

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2009 at 1:18 PM

I give up.  I can get it to work very consistently the first time, but for any subsequent renders, all bets are off.  Probably it would be safer and more predictable to drive light controls via python script but I'm not interested in dropping everything for the next month or so to learn python.

My Freebies

ice-boy ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 1:40 AM

Quote - Yeah I've just found the same thing. 

how did you model this metalic parts? with zbrush or mudbox?

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 3:03 AM

All the modeling for the outfit was done in Cinema 4d.  IMO something like this would actually be harder in a sculpting app unless you just didn't care at all about poly count.  Stuff like the shoes I don't see how you'd do it in Zbrush at all.

My Freebies

MungoPark ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 3:13 AM · edited Sat, 08 August 2009 at 3:15 AM

The black spots go away when you raise the shading rate for the object and/or apply a tiny amount of displacement (but be sure to render with displacement on) - its only a solution where you dont have too much detail, like in cars, or when you use uniform shaders with simple colors etc.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 3:59 PM

file_436529.jpg

Here are some sample pics that illustrate the blotch artifact problem (or at least, this aspect of it) as clearly as possible, and also show the effect of "Number of Bounces".  First is zero bounces - note the square hovering over the sphere is 100% black.  No good.

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:02 PM

file_436532.jpg

And here is with 1 bounce. The underside of the large square is catching some light, revealing some stuff that wasn't visible at all in the zero bounce pic.  All of the light illuminating the revealed stuff is bounced light, there is no direct lighting being cast on it.  Big ugly artifacts (low quality settings, 25%).  The smaller square is completely black (it's only 2/2/2 because of Tone Mapping, which I realize now I should have disabled for this test).

My Freebies

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:02 PM

uuuuuuuuu thats bad.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:04 PM

file_436533.jpg

Here with two bounces.  Notice that on the bottom right, some crap has started to manifest that was not visible with 1 bounce.  Why not?  Because the floor plane was getting 100% direct light nearly everywhere, in the earlier pics.  Now it is getting some bounce light from the large square hovering above it, and is showing artifacts.

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:06 PM

file_436535.jpg

3 bounces.  Artifacting problem is worse because more indirect lighting is being applied.

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:09 PM

file_436536.jpg

Let's skip to the end.  12 bounces.  Surprisingly this only took 25 or so seconds longer than 3 bounces, but there is no reflection going on, so don't expect that in all cases.  Because the difference between 3 and 12 bounces appears to be so small, I suspect that internally the renderer is culling the number of rays calculated per bounce, meaning that with each bounce iteration, a percentage of rays is "thrown away" and calculations are not done for them.  This would account for the **worsening** of quality as more bounces are calculated (rather the opposite of what you'd expect).  This is still with low quality settings though (25%).

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:13 PM

file_436537.jpg

Now let's make the quality sliders maximum (actually 99%).  Now instead of a few artifacts of very large size, we have tons of artifacts of much smaller size.  Sort of an improvement, and the overall lighting intensity is all right, but wow, that looks like crap.  20 minutes of render time for this one, vs. 3:25 for the last one.  I expect render time to go up with high quality settings, but this is pretty much unusable.  I might as well go back to faking it with IBL (and until patching, I will).

My Freebies

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:13 PM

The artifacts are real, no doubt. Stefan intends to fix this for SR1. I have a call scheduled to discuss renderer stuff with Uli, Steve, and Stefan Thursday.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:19 PM

If anyone cares to fool around with this sample scene file:
http://cid-b233dcaeefa9709c.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Poser8%20samples/Simple%20GI%20Test.zip

Maybe you can get better results.  Constraints:

• No lights with shadows disabled allowed, although you may add additional lights if you feel you must
  • No IBL lights allowed, period
  • Fill lights are strongly discouraged
  • Minimum # of bounces allowed is 3, so that all surfaces "technically" should catch some indirect light
  • No deleting any geometry in the scene (there is a 10x10x10 box around the scene, to serve as a "room" environment).

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:21 PM

Quote - The artifacts are real, no doubt. Stefan intends to fix this for SR1.

Yeah I think everyone gets that, I just keep hearing that turning down # of bounces is a good workaround.  It isn't, it's a terrible workaround.

My Freebies

Anthanasius ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:25 PM

Quote - The artifacts are real, no doubt. Stefan intends to fix this for SR1. I have a call scheduled to discuss renderer stuff with Uli, Steve, and Stefan Thursday.

Hum, a stupid thing, but, without hate ... the beta testers are really beta ? I say that cause i think GI is the most feature who most poser users wait for a long time, with render time, and finally it's the most bad !

May be i'm stupid !

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

Whichway ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:28 PM

piz99 - Thanks for the series and the scene. I'd started a similar series, but, stupidly, with a more complex scene/figure. I'll try a few settings.

Have you tried the IDL Only option on the Dimension3D script? Aside from saving a little time, it may give us a feel of what's going on at the IDL level.

Whichway

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:28 PM

Yeah I understand you, I wish I'd been in the beta myself.

My Freebies

Whichway ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:30 PM

Ok, dumb question #1 - where do I find the Backdrop.obj file?

Whichway

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:31 PM

Quote -
Have you tried the IDL Only option on the Dimension3D script? Aside from saving a little time, it may give us a feel of what's going on at the IDL level.

The intent of that feature is for those who would like to render in passes, the way rendering shadows or other effects to a separate pass; I never render with that technique so I'm not a good person to guinea pig it, both because I don't know about it and I don't really care enough to learn it.

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:32 PM · edited Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:35 PM

Quote - Ok, dumb question #1 - where do I find the Backdrop.obj file?

Wherever your default runtime is installed ^^  The only scene contents are Poser 8 native stuff.
edit: oops, no, that's my own backdrop, sorry; I'll fix that and re-upload that file

edit: fixed

My Freebies

Whichway ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:40 PM · edited Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:43 PM

Ok, re backdrop. Will wait.....[edit - Got it!]

Re IDL Only: I just thought that since we were trying to understand what was going on with IDL, it might be easier to sort things out if we were rendering only the confusing IDL bits.

Whichway

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:42 PM

There's a corrected version of that test scene put up, have at it :)

My Freebies

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:46 PM

Working on it. Dang, now I probably won't eat dinner. Damn you pjz99!

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:47 PM

I'm being realistic and not expecting this to be remedied for the next six months.  If it gets done sooner than that, because you skipped dinner, thanks in advance.

My Freebies

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:56 PM

I'm betting 4 weeks.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:00 PM

if anybody tries the scene with d3d's script, please post the results.  stefan also had a script and may have more before long.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:01 PM

Paul,

I'm using the D3D script to control all parameters. I had been working on my own setup kind of like yours, and found some settings that improved things. However, loading the settings I found into your scene, the "room" is a solid wall of red dots - no gaps! The foreground objects are rendering quick, but the buckets with "room" in them are taking forever. Any idea why that would be? Why is the room different?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:04 PM

file_436539.jpg

Calculation in progress - dog slow because of the solid wall of samples.

WTF?

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:06 PM

Dinner (and sleep) is highly overrated ;) 

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:06 PM

It's simply an 8x8x8 poly cube taken from the Poser 8 Runtime "PropsPrimitivesBox" , so I've no idea why it would be sucking up so many rays (this is what the red dots are I believe, ray hits).  However this is consistent with what I told Stefan earlier, that the artifacting problem appears much worse when you have some environment geometry of any kind, apparently the environment geometry eats up a lot of rays prematurely.  No idea why.

My Freebies

Whichway ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:08 PM · edited Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:11 PM

I was about to make the same observation. My little laptop may melt. Bailing again to look for something funny going on.

Whichway

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:13 PM

Hiding or removing the "room" geometry is unacceptable under my constraints, for this test ;)  Replacing it with alternate geometry of the same shape is OK though (a higher or lower poly box).

My Freebies

Whichway ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:13 PM

pjz99 - If you're getting through that swarm of red ants in 3 min, you must have one whale of a machine.

Whichway

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:13 PM · edited Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:15 PM

Oh wait, I got confused. There's a room and a backdrop? It's the backdrop making solid red dots.

Addendum: Never mind, the room does it too, even if I hide the backdrop.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:14 PM

Oh right, turn off Smooth Polygons for the backdrop prop as it looks like crap otherwise.

My Freebies

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:19 PM

I think the room caused problems, perhaps because we're inside, with all the polygons facing outward? Replacing with my EnvSphere, where all the polys face inward, and it renders extremely fast.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:26 PM

If normal facing has a real impact on how GI is calculated, that right there is probably not desirable.  I'm not picky about what box gets used, but as my studio is not shaped like a basketball, a sphere is unacceptable for this test.  Must be a box.  If you like I can export a cube with inverted normals and make it a prop.

My Freebies

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:29 PM

No need - I can reverse the normal no problem.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:30 PM

Okey doke, although if normal facing has any impact at all here I would consider that a bug that needs to be fixed.

My Freebies

Whichway ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:32 PM · edited Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:46 PM

Can dumb ole me reverse the normals in Poser?

Whichway

[Edit: Found it. Maybe]

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:35 PM · edited Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:36 PM

Select cube
Group Editor
Create group
Add All
Reverse group normals

(actually in the case of Poser's default primitives there is already a group containing all faces so those steps "create group" and "add all" are not necessary)

My Freebies

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:39 PM

I agree reversing the normal should not matter, you had "Normals Forward" checked. That's a bug. But easy enough to work around at the moment. The reversed room is rendering well now.

Whichway ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:48 PM

Thanks. I'd mistakenly found the Normals Forward option without reading the manual first. 😊 I'll follow your prescription now, Dr.

Whichway

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:56 PM

I'm rendering and can't check what I did to screw up the transition between the backdrop front edge and the ground and/or room floor. I'm getting a seam.

Since I have to wait for the render to finish, I thought I'd just ask - is the "floor" supposed to be the ground, the room bottom surface, or the backdrop, or some combination? Did you intend for the backdrop to be above the "floor"?

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:56 PM · edited Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:58 PM

I realize that the "room" geometry also should have have Smooth Polygons disabled (will make the corners pillow out undesirably).

Revised version available here:

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 6:04 PM

Quote - Since I have to wait for the render to finish, I thought I'd just ask - is the "floor" supposed to be the ground, the room bottom surface, or the backdrop, or some combination? Did you intend for the backdrop to be above the "floor"?

The room box was moved down one foot to prevent it intersecting the backdrop's floor.  If it's not moved down the renderer becomes unhappy and tries to render both surfaces in the same "space", no good.  Although I suppose some rays will inevitably get wasted in the area between the box and the backdrop I don't particularly care.  Incidentally that's another example of why considering normals in GI is not that wise, imo - the backside/underside of the backdrop prop will behave differently from the front side, very counter intuitive.  Default behavior really ought to be "ignore normals" regardless of any material settings.

My Freebies

Whichway ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 6:05 PM · edited Mon, 10 August 2009 at 6:07 PM

Is  it possible to post more than one image per reply? I may have something interesting. Only JPEGs allowed?

Whichway

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.