Fri, Sep 20, 5:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Freestuff

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, RedPhantom, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Freestuff F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 4:48 pm)

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum. The Freestuff Forum is intended for all  freestuff related postings within our community. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review, announce and give feedback in greater detail on various freestuff items offered.  Members can also post wishes of freestuff items they would like to see.

Notice: Links to offsite 'For Sale' items will be removed

Renderosity Free Stuff Area

Free Stuff Gallery

Free Stuff Guidelines

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: License for uses other than render?

darshie76 ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2009 at 12:39 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 5:33 AM

Hi

I wonder if the free stuff in the free area is also usable in other projects and scopes different from simply rendering them, like as avatars or props in games.

I wonder if there is a chance for a license that include the rights to modify and use the models or textures for games or animated interactive software or similar; even paying more than the regular price on renderosity (there are various companies that sells models with different licenses based on what you do with the model and how much money you make)

Same for the commercial content; so i wonder if some of the artist that contribute to the free area would chime in and give his opinion...with all the great artist in this forum and other sites; is a waste that these models cannot be used for games or other interactive software other than for being placed in static renders or animations; the quality here blows away the sites that sell products for game makers :)

mishamcm ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2009 at 12:48 PM

In general, no.  Unless something specifically says you can, it probably can't.  Commercial items you buy usually can't, either.

nruddock ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2009 at 1:16 PM

You can of course contact the creator and ask about alternative license terms.

darshie76 ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2009 at 2:59 PM

thanks for replying :)

Indeed i would love to ask the creators, but i rarely get back a reply from them; so my hope was to throw the bone in and hope that who create contents will take in consideration to add on their license the authorization to use the models for other applications other than renders, and do the same in the marketplace, adding a version with different license for other uses....i am a dreamer i know :)

mishamcm; the problem is that when something is not mentioned in the product license, you never know if is ok or not to use them (legally if you don't add explicitly that something cannot be done, it can be done; but is true also the opposite, where if you authorize the user to do something with that item, you automatically exclude all the other uses....)

As comparison, the google sketchup community is pretty active and release a lot of contents that can be used freely (sometimes just mentioning the author in the credits); so i wonder what is the difference between this community and that one (where in some cases, users from poser forums are also on other forums for other 3d software)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2009 at 4:39 PM

Quote -   (legally if you don't add explicitly that something cannot be done, it can be done

this is false. e.g. I don't go around telling everyone they aren't allowed to steal from me, but that doesn't mean they are allowed to steal from me.  I ain't a lawyer, but in terms of copyright, any use not explicitly allowed is prohibited.

3-d-c ( ) posted Mon, 24 August 2009 at 8:53 AM

myself as i am offering products and freebies would usually say: ask me.
it depends on whats suspected to be done. For use in Games, i wouldnt have an issue with it ; however wouldnt allow the product or freebie to be used in other 3D products.....

3-D-Cs Facebook Page: 3-D-C on Facebook

Check the K-Azonica Story and World Evolving:   K-Azonica

Check my website and products and the large freebie section:   3-D-C

adamthwaites ( ) posted Mon, 24 August 2009 at 9:43 AM

Hi everyone,

I allow commercial use of my freebies in renders and animations, but if anyone wants to use them in other products like games then they should email me.

I have given the go ahead for use in a couple of indie games and other things and basically if the project is OK for me then I'm pretty flexible.

Artists have to put some kind of restriction on their work when they release it so that they don't get taken advantage of. But if you ever see anything you want to use in a project I'd say the best thing to do is simply ask the person who made it.

If you don't ask, you don't get.

Cheers

Ad

www.most-digital-creations.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.