Wed, Sep 18, 8:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Well, I gather my 90-day ban from the DAZ fora...

SeanMartin ( ) posted Mon, 02 November 2009 at 3:49 PM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 12:41 AM

... is a permanent one, since I still dont have any posting "privileges" after almost 120 days.

Their loss.

But let this be a lesson to you all: never annoy moderators with thin skins and fragile egos.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Mon, 02 November 2009 at 3:51 PM

plays "Welcome to Duloc" from Shrek

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 02 November 2009 at 5:04 PM

Quote - ... is a permanent one, since I still dont have any posting "privileges" after almost 120 days.

Their loss.

But let this be a lesson to you all: never annoy moderators with thin skins and fragile egos.

Aw, that's too bad Sean. Have you notified someone there to have them confirm that you're banned permanently? Seems to me they would have told you that if that were the case.

Hope you get it resolved.

Laurie

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 02 November 2009 at 5:18 PM

I didn't know any of these forums had 90-day bans.  if it's permanent, they may allow ya to re-register with a different username.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Mon, 02 November 2009 at 5:30 PM

Oh, I was told quite specifically that it was 90 days for being a very, very bad boy.

I gather Dan et al simply dont want to deal with me anymore, because apparently I never say anything they like to hear. (I have, but you know how selective memory can be.)

Like I said, their loss. I started the thread only as a reminder to those who might engage in high spirits some night. There are consequences..... LOL

fls13 ( ) posted Mon, 02 November 2009 at 5:34 PM

lol  Frankly every site should have a rule: if you want to moderate, you can't post. Period.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 02 November 2009 at 5:53 PM

Quote - lol  Frankly every site should have a rule: if you want to moderate, you can't post. Period.

Oh you're going to be popular around here!

fls13 ( ) posted Mon, 02 November 2009 at 6:14 PM

Quote - > Quote - lol  Frankly every site should have a rule: if you want to moderate, you can't post. Period.

lol   I never had a problem here and don't go to the daz site. That's just a general opinion based on some other sites I've been on, none of them related to CGI. I've often seen moderators who act as trolls or in other instances, if there's a debate and the moderator takes a side, other posters feel free to be extra rude towards those with an opposing view.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 02 November 2009 at 6:44 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - lol  Frankly every site should have a rule: if you want to moderate, you can't post. Period.

lol   I never had a problem here and don't go to the daz site. That's just a general opinion based on some other sites I've been on, none of them related to CGI. I've often seen moderators who act as trolls or in other instances, if there's a debate and the moderator takes a side, other posters feel free to be extra rude towards those with an opposing view.

Oh I've noticed that myself, I'm just saying you put a spotlight on the subject you might want to duck for cover.

TZORG ( ) posted Mon, 02 November 2009 at 7:02 PM

I agree with you guys but I'd have to say it seems like the DAZ mods actually don't post that much.

It's not the tool used, it's the tool using it

SeanMartin ( ) posted Mon, 02 November 2009 at 7:07 PM

Generally they dont -- particularly when there seems to be a problem or issue with one of their products, but that's another story for another time.

But there is one who shall remain nameless who really likes to express his opinion but has issues, it seems, when someone calls him on it.

Ah well. Enough. I just wanted to share the good news. :)

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 02 November 2009 at 7:15 PM

How is that good news?  Aren't you also blocked from downloading your order history from there?

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Mon, 02 November 2009 at 7:34 PM

nope. and your free to shop as well.... ;)

fls13 ( ) posted Mon, 02 November 2009 at 7:55 PM

Quote - nope. and your free to shop as well.... ;)

Of course! You're always free to spend money and sites rarely block anyone completely . . . they want the numbers for any ad sales. :O)

lmckenzie ( ) posted Mon, 02 November 2009 at 8:04 PM

Perhaps you should emulate Mr. Marx.

"“I refuse to join a club that would have me as a member.”  - Groucho Marx

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Kendra ( ) posted Mon, 02 November 2009 at 8:31 PM

"thin skins and fragile egos" is an understatement. 

...... Kendra

InfoCentral ( ) posted Mon, 02 November 2009 at 10:02 PM

I once got kicked off a forum for saying good-bye.  They deleted it and I reposted it.  Later I was banned and the reason quoted was TOS violation "we reserve the right to ban anyone with or without cause."  Go figure...

metabog ( ) posted Mon, 02 November 2009 at 10:04 PM

You're better off hanging here in the real world, Sean. Daz makes some nice products but the forums are just neverland  - and that's just where their mods are living too! But they have no deletion power here.

flibbits ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 12:24 AM

I was "placed into a cell" on another message board.  The moderator message said I had to post a message of apology in the cell or I'd be banned permanently.  I was "placed in the cell" because they had given me two infractions for violating subjective rules of posting.

I wrote the moderator telling him/her that I wasn't in a cell, I was still able to go outside and do whatever I want.  They can't put users in cells, users decide whether to use their service.  If they sent me a message apologizing I'd consider returning to their site and viewing the ads on their pages.

They banned me permanently.  Well, they banned a certain IP address permanently.  I'm still not in a cell, and I am not banned, only one computer's IP address.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 1:05 AM

Sean, try contacting Daz.  Someone might have forgotten to unban you.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

SeanMartin ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 5:16 AM

Quote - Sean, try contacting Daz.  Someone might have forgotten to unban you.

Are you kidding? Thatd be way too easy and nowhere near as much fun. :)

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 8:24 AM

is a member record like the permanent record they used to threaten us with in grade school?

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 9:03 AM

hmm...been lucky so far, but I only go to the Freepository, and I remember i'm a small dawg on the big dawg's porch there...;)

Still, they could at least make their wishes known...hope it gets fixed for ya.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

SeanMartin ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 9:08 AM

Quote - is a member record like the permanent record they used to threaten us with in grade school?

You mean now I cant go to Yale???

flibbits ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 11:55 AM

I can picture some techy geek sitting at his desk eating cheetos (I call them Cheeto Eaters,) smirking as he exercises his ultimate power, the ban button.

I bet at that other site (it's not 3D related) the Cheeto Eater actually thought I'd sit there with their "cell" on the screen trying to beg for my release.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 12:14 PM

I dunno: sometimes the fora feel like a super trendy "all that" bar on a crowded Saturday night.

jerikson40 ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 12:30 PM

Dude, they OWN the fourm. It's their property. They can do whatever the heck they want to. Honestly I don't blame them. They're there to make money, and keep customers happy. If one person is making life difficult and ignoring their rules, it's bad for business.

fls13 ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 12:33 PM

Quote - Dude, they OWN the fourm. It's their property. They can do whatever the heck they want to. Honestly I don't blame them. They're there to make money, and keep customers happy. If one person is making life difficult and ignoring their rules, it's bad for business.

If the person spending the money is causing the problems, they get more slack. No question about it.

jerikson40 ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 12:36 PM

Quote - If the person spending the money is causing the problems, they get more slack. No question about it.

And whose rule is THAT? Yours?

Gimme a break.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 12:41 PM

Quote - Dude, they OWN the fourm. It's their property. They can do whatever the heck they want to. Honestly I don't blame them. They're there to make money, and keep customers happy. If one person is making life difficult and ignoring their rules, it's bad for business.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "difficult". I'm more than happy to applaud something that deserves it, as I've done several times. But one mod decided that I HATED everything associated with DAZ (which, sorry, aint true) and, frankly, went out of his way to push a few buttons. And when I called him on it, I got tossed.

Well, y'know, again, their loss. To be perfectly blunt about it, DAZ hasnt had much all that attractive in months. They're just retreading old desiign concepts over and over -- and you can only blame the vendors so much for that. But the place just doesnt have any imagination anymore. It's just all... grey. So nope, dont miss it. My money's far better spent here, thanks.

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 1:11 PM

Well I dont  know about the particulars of your "case"
But I must agree with your particular opinion about:
***"DAZ hasnt had much all that attractive in months. They're just retreading old design concepts over and over -- and you can only blame the vendors so much for that. But the place just doesnt have any imagination anymore."

Sadly thats the Current state of Computer Graphics in General
even in Movies,TV and Probably Games.
Everything has Already been done it seems
and there is Little Attempts at Creative innovation
EVERYTHING is Formulaic!!
and dont Think this is because Poser/Daz studio are "low end" programs either .

Just Google "Vray" or "Mental Ray" or "Maxwell" and you will mostly get a Quatigillion "me too" images of Shiny Cars & Perfect Uber buildings Exterior interiors with Flawless green landscapes etc.

Just Google "Zbrush" you will mostly get a Quatigillion "me too" images of "orc" Like Creatures & Old Man Busts with Uber Detailed Zbrushed to Death topology.

Now with all the Innovation & advances in Software over the last ten years( Hobbiest & Pro level ) I honestly Dont think everyone is doing the same type of stuff but the ones who hang out & post in Web Forums/Galleries Sure Seem to be.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

SeanMartin ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 1:53 PM

Y'know, I've used the same model mesh for six years now. I started using it because it was gosh darn cute but more importantly it did what I needed it to at the time, and since then it's performed beautifully, no matter what I throw at it:. I've learned all its quirks, rebuilt its rigging, created scores of textures for it, even modified the mesh to suit a particular project for a client.

And y'know why I'll stick with it? Because nothing better has come along since.

Now granted, my needs are more narrowly defined than most, but I'd be happy to see something new that can do what Impossibly Old Ichiro 1 does, with the same style and the same intelligent design. But I kinda doubt anything will.

Maybe that's a sign that it's time to move on from ever hoping as such. My purchases these days are mostly backgrounds and textures, with the occasional prop as I need for the occasional porject. But with my library, which now stands at over 210 gigs of highly organized stuff, there's just not a whole lot out there that does it better.

Just an observation.

jerikson40 ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 2:00 PM

DAZ was mean to me, so I'll knock their products.

Good one.

fls13 ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 2:31 PM

Quote - > Quote - If the person spending the money is causing the problems, they get more slack. No question about it.

Gimme a break.

That's a rule at a site with paid content. Told to me by someone who moderated there. If I ran a site, I'd do the same thing, within reason.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 4:12 PM · edited Tue, 03 November 2009 at 4:14 PM

Quote - DAZ was mean to me, so I'll knock their products.

Good one.

LOL -- dude, get real. I'm knocking everyone's products right now. :-)

Face it: this stuff is getting old. Same this, same that, same fantasy armour, same bikini set, same predictable makeup texture. We collectively ran out of imaginative steam in 2005 and have never recovered.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 4:20 PM

"frankly, went out of his way to push a few buttons. And when I called him on it, I got tossed.

So you knew that the guy holding a gun was goading you and you went at him anyway. Rule Number One - don't bring a knife to a gunfight. You seem to feel that the short term satisfaction of telling this guy off outweighs the long term benefits of not being banned. If that's the case then all is good I suppose, though it sounds a teensy bit like sour grapes. The internet tends to bring out the pugnacious side of people, I know it does in me, but you have to pick your fights. 90% of the time, it's just ego and BS. It's great that we can communicate instantly with the world, but the lack of the instinctive constraints on behavior that come with face to face communication (including ultimately, the threat of a punch in the snoot) make this a pretty uncivil environment far too often. 

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 4:21 PM

Quote -

Face it: this stuff is getting old. Same this, same that, same fantasy armour, same bikini set, same predictable makeup texture. We collectively ran out of imaginative steam in 2005 and have never recovered.

YET AGAIN

"Thanks DAZ!!!
Downloading now!!
ohhh my poor credit card"

My website

YouTube Channel

SeanMartin ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 4:34 PM

Quote - "frankly, went out of his way to push a few buttons. And when I called him on it, I got tossed.

So you knew that the guy holding a gun was goading you and you went at him anyway. Rule Number One - don't bring a knife to a gunfight. You seem to feel that the short term satisfaction of telling this guy off outweighs the long term benefits of not being banned. If that's the case then all is good I suppose, though it sounds a teensy bit like sour grapes. The internet tends to bring out the pugnacious side of people, I know it does in me, but you have to pick your fights. 90% of the time, it's just ego and BS. It's great that we can communicate instantly with the world, but the lack of the instinctive constraints on behavior that come with face to face communication (including ultimately, the threat of a punch in the snoot) make this a pretty uncivil environment far too often. 

LOL -- no, you misunderstand, honest. Frankly, I could care if I ever get to post there again. In retrospect, it was a huge waste of time that could have been put to far better use.

The guy holding the gun said something especially moronic, and I happily called him on it, because (1) it came clear out of the blue and (2) had nothing to do with the conversation in progress. It was being a jerk just for the sake of being a jerk, and I dont care if the person involved in a mod or not -- when they act like that, I'm gonna call them on it, pure and simple. But rather than deal with it himself, he ran off to his boss, and she got stuck with the mess he created.

... which sorta figures.

Sour grapes? Not at all. I find it hysterically funny. I doubt many people will understand that, but to me it's just another one of those funny things DAZ does that keeps me amused.

And who knows, maybe one of them will actually see this thread and make comment in their fora, secure in the knowledge that I cant respond. That, to me, would be the ultimate joke.

Okay, enough for me with this. You guys carry on if you wish, but I have a cartoon to finish some time tonight. Later, folks.

klown ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 6:42 PM

I appear to be damaging an ego of a Daz moderator so I may be limited to posting here too. Because you can and no one else is permitted is never a good enough reason, but that does not pass through their THICK HEADS!

InfoCentral ( ) posted Tue, 03 November 2009 at 11:09 PM

So you haven't received your 90 day ban yet?

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Wed, 04 November 2009 at 6:19 AM

With Content Paradise--They Banned EVERYONE.  At DAZ, they are only slightly more selective.:laugh:

@ wolf359--OMG! That is CLASSIC! It's all part of DAZ going green. You know...RECYCLING old products and ideas endlessly.

I'm all in favor of doing new stuff and following my muse to the ends of the universe and beyond. If anyone thinks I'm doing the same old crap as the rest of the herd, look at my gallery.:lol:LOLOLOLOL

Seek out the new and different and celebrate it.  You might still get banned, but that's life.

"You stick out your neck and people cut your head off! Look at that French queen! Talked about eating cake and dieters KILLED her! Huh! FRANCE! What a place!"-- Mel Brooks

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

klown ( ) posted Wed, 04 November 2009 at 8:22 AM · edited Wed, 04 November 2009 at 8:32 AM

Quote - So you haven't received your 90 day ban yet?

If you are referring to me; the mod waiting for me to do something stupid.
They won't have to wait long!

In all seriousness the mod took umbrage with a response I made to a thread, even though what they are singling me out they are guilty of numerous times on their own threads. They don't appreciate when you point that out to them, do they. They know who they are and they are mod here so I'm sure I will get pulled from here too.

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 04 November 2009 at 8:31 AM

trust me. you won't miss the forums there at all.. unfact you;'ll thank them for the ban :)

InfoCentral ( ) posted Wed, 04 November 2009 at 8:41 AM · edited Wed, 04 November 2009 at 8:44 AM

There is something to be said for the independent forums.  This is why Renderosity is a big as it is, the companies don't run it.  Although, sometimes they come in and try...

The only exception would be the Animation Master Forum where the moderator for Hash is also the coordinator and has managed to kick out everyone and killed the forum.  But that is the only incidence I can recall where the company was able to take control and squash the forum.

bantha ( ) posted Wed, 04 November 2009 at 9:38 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - If the person spending the money is causing the problems, they get more slack. No question about it.

Gimme a break.

That's a rule at a site with paid content. Told to me by someone who moderated there. If I ran a site, I'd do the same thing, within reason.

Don't expect the same thing here. I would not know how much you spent, and the "you will loose a big customer" argument will be ignored. You can buy stuff for Poser and other applications here, not the right to break the TOS.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 04 November 2009 at 10:55 AM

Quote - You can buy stuff for Poser and other applications here, not the right to break the TOS.

$50,000 in used non sequential notes? ;)

ShawnMcCarthy ( ) posted Wed, 04 November 2009 at 11:53 AM

We appreciate the dissatisfaction and frustration of
policies in practice on other sites, and the need express
that frustration. That being said it is unacceptable to use
our forum to criticize about the policies of other
communities. It is always better to communicate any
grievances you may have with the community you are
displeased with, rather than to express those grievances on
other sites that negatively reflect your weighted opinion to
the aforementioned communities policy and how it was
executed. This thread is therefore being locked.

Shawn

Shawn McCarthy
www.defyallchallenges.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.