Mon, Jul 8, 5:14 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 07 9:15 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: cloth & rigid body dynamics

kobaltkween ( ) posted Mon, 28 December 2009 at 12:13 PM · edited Mon, 24 June 2024 at 1:47 AM

i was wondering if anyone knows how to do things like add weights to cloth?   a pendant at the end of a ribbon would be an experimental example.  i'm not even sure how to do rigid body dynamics, or where to start looking for information about it.  so i'm really unsure about how you'd put the two together.  but i'm sure it's possible.

haloedrain ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 8:05 PM

I was trying to figure out how to combine rigid bodies and cloth some time back and eventually gave up, but that was a couple blender versions ago.  If you figure it out I'd love to know, too.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 8:11 PM

ooooo.  do you know how to do rigid bodies?  because if you could give me a lead on that, i'm pretty sure i could get them both to work together.  it shouldn't be any different than combining clothes and any other kind of controlling animation.  i could tell you how to do that in a snap if you don't know how.  if it's some other issue, like how fluids and cloth won't respond to each other, then i'm stumped.  but the thing is i haven't been able to find a good rigid body tutorial.

haloedrain ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 8:14 PM · edited Mon, 11 January 2010 at 8:15 PM

Oof.  It was a while ago, but you know, I think it was figuring out how to do rigid bodies at all that stumped me.  I know it's possible because I've seen animations of dominoes falling...  I think those might have used the game, engine, does cloth simulation work in the game engine?

Edit: aha, http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Physics/Rigid_Bodies

kobaltkween ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 8:42 PM

ah! and that does explain my confusion.  i wasn't looking at game information, thought that if there were soft body, fluid and cloth dynamics in a certain area, surely there was a way to set up rigid body physics there. i wonder if they're more integrated in 2.5?  i'll let you know if i can find anything out.

haloedrain ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 8:45 PM

I vaguely remember seeing that it might be in 2.5, but that was back when everything and the kitchen sink was going to be in 2.5, so I don't know if it made it.

cookiewiz ( ) posted Tue, 12 January 2010 at 5:19 PM

You might want to check out the Book, Bounce, Tumble and Splash by Tony Mullen. Good book for many Blender sfx. also check out fairly new Blender Video web site.

haloedrain ( ) posted Tue, 02 February 2010 at 12:38 AM

It occurred to me that rigid bodies are really just stiff soft bodies, so I tried setting up the dominoes example using softbodies.  I could get the first domino to collide with the second, but I couldn't get the second to fall.  That's probably the way to get hard things to interact with cloth, though.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 02 February 2010 at 8:32 AM

oh, that's brilliant!  thanks for the tip!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.