Wed, Sep 18, 11:52 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: Nuke explosion

zorzim ( ) posted Tue, 06 April 2010 at 7:08 AM · edited Mon, 29 July 2024 at 9:39 PM

Hi everyone,

from time to time I wonder how to render a HUGE thermonuclear explosion.
I'm relatively new on Vue, but the main problem with it is the flaming/smoke material
of the mushroom.

Any help regarding mats and thing would be appreciated

zorzim ( ) posted Tue, 06 April 2010 at 4:56 PM · edited Tue, 06 April 2010 at 4:58 PM

file_450779.jpg

There are two basic type of explosion I would like to render. Here they are. I would incorporate some element of one into another, like if I choose to go for the undewater big bang, I' have to add if not flames an intense glow beneath the water. Also I love the concept of the tiny little ship standin on front of it.

Any idea regarding the material to be used for the "mushroom" cloud ...?

Also I would ask if it effective to use a geometry like mushroom to fill with aforedmentioned mat, or its best to try metaballs or a series of spheres...

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 06 April 2010 at 9:23 PM
zorzim ( ) posted Wed, 07 April 2010 at 5:58 AM

Thanks Shawn,

your render reflects almost exactly what I had in mind...  what version of Vue are u using, and what's the cloud mat ?

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 07 April 2010 at 11:38 PM · edited Wed, 07 April 2010 at 11:44 PM

file_450869.jpg

> Quote - Thanks Shawn, > > your render reflects almost exactly what I had in mind...  what version of Vue are u using, and what's the cloud mat ?

I'm using the Stretched Stratus cloud with:
Altitude 0km.
Height 10km.
Cover 68%.
Density 98%.
Opacity 81%
Sharpness 8%.
Feathers 5%.
Detail amount 5%.
Altitude variations 0%.
Ambient lighting 60%.
Shadow density 60%.

For the mat's Cloud layer detail, I'm using:
Scaling 25%.
Roughness 59%.
Variations 45%.
Uniformity 58%.

The Custom cloud layer profile is the image above.  The left side is the bottom (ground shockwave).  The right side is the top of the mushroom.  The top is the profile shape that gets spun around the Z axis.  Somewhere around the middle is the Z axis (0.00 level).  The top I have go negative so that there is some air pressure at the top going on.  Just a trial mockup.

I'm using Vue Infinite 8.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

zorzim ( ) posted Thu, 08 April 2010 at 5:58 AM

Yours is a remarkable accomplishment in that direction. I mean, as a starting point is really ok, but there is a way to render it more like a gigantica mass of water instead of ... a gigantic amass of vapour...?

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Thu, 08 April 2010 at 5:14 PM

If you model the same shape as polygons (with displacement and/or hyper texturing applied), you can then use any material for it.  My test was to see what I could model using only the Spectral Cloud v2 portion of Vue.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

zorzim ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 12:08 PM

file_451056.jpg

Well, tried this approach. As I' m using Vue 6 (got with LW a while ago, only learning it these days...), I can't edit clouds like Shawn, so I edited a polygonal "mushroom" in LW modeler and import it into Vue. Then I played around with diffrent volumetric settings 'til I came to this. The result is very dependig on the type of amtosphere I'm using in it, GI atmos for instance make the mushroom mass go way too darker...  what do u think anyway ?

Any suggestion on how to do a billowing fire mat for it its welcome...

Cherryman ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 2:00 PM

Maybe this helps:[

I could really use an animated mushroom

cloud.http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3502440&ebot_calc_page#message_3502440
](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2798440)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.