Sun, Oct 6, 4:51 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 2:10 pm)

Subject: Help to determine file associations

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 04 July 2010 at 2:10 PM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 6:14 AM

I had another loss in backup drive crash...  and I'm now willing to place things on a dvd... 

I ran into a category problem.. concerning Poser and Daz files... I like to separate files to make them easier to find and get to...  here are some examples...  which files should be separated.. 
first two files can technically go into Daz studio..yes..no..?  
The last one is a Poser only file.. yes..no.?   So how would you categorize them?

7344_8_ds_EmotiSportsPack1.exe

7344_9_dpc_EmotiSportsPack1.exe

ps_ac094B_up-48.exe

Thanks 

Tom

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DemonMage ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2010 at 1:11 PM

Tom, If I remember correctly, the one marked with the ds has Daz specific materials. The one with the dpc has all the normal files. The file size is usually (always?) larger on the dpc one.
What I'm trying to say is that those that don't use Daz|Studio don't need the second file, while those that do us it do need it. D|S will read everything from poser except lights and procedural materials... I think that's right anyway.

Hope that helps some.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2010 at 2:38 PM

The last item is very old, so it will be Poser format. Unfortunately not every ds installer that's about the same size as the dpc version is self-contained - some are, some aren't (a lot of Platinum Club items include the textures in the ds installer for base items even though you need the Poser version for the mesh).

boolprop ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2010 at 2:50 PM

Quote - Tom, If I remember correctly, the one marked with the ds has Daz specific materials. The one with the dpc has all the normal files. The file size is usually (always?) larger on the dpc one.
What I'm trying to say is that those that don't use Daz|Studio don't need the second file, while those that do us it do need it. D|S will read everything from poser except lights and procedural materials... I think that's right anyway.

Hope that helps some.

I'm a litle confused about this. What you are saying is if you have DAZ you should install them both?

tom271 ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2010 at 3:40 PM

OKay, .. dpc works for Studio and Poser.. ds.. only for Studio...

ps... is old before Studio came along...   But will it work on new Poser...7 and 8? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RHaseltine ( ) posted Tue, 06 July 2010 at 2:34 PM

Most old content should work, though it may need the odd bit of tweaking. With P8 and later you will find much older content (and not necessarily that old) comes with only .rsr thumbnails which are no longer supported. Really old content (pre-Poser 5, possibly even pre_PoserProPack) will almost certainly need bump maps reattaching. Of course older items won't support newer features.

tom271 ( ) posted Tue, 06 July 2010 at 3:34 PM

Oldest I got is Poser 6... 

Thank you..

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.