Mon, Sep 23, 11:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 11:27 am)

Subject: Trying to set up my new monitor

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2010 at 10:50 AM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 2:02 PM

Hi.
What a nightmare!
I had to buy a new monitor today as the old one died.
Its an ASUS/plug and play 19 inch wide screen,and after installing the screen and letting it do an auto config things are still a bit streched on the display,Eg my folders are now more rectangular that square.and Ive had to regulate the brightness controll quite considerably to get things back to normal,and compared it with a grey scale tool(heres the URL for those who might want to look at this http://www.techmind.org/lcd/greyscale.html)
Ive looked in to the display properties ,opened settings and its set up thus;1024x768.
I looked then at the advanced settings and the dpi is set to (96 dpi),I have then two options here1)120 dpi
or
        2) custom
Screen refresh rate is 60 hertz
video card is GeFORCE 8600 GT

Any help would be appreciated.

p

Magic_Man ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2010 at 11:12 AM · edited Tue, 27 July 2010 at 11:16 AM

Your resolution is set wrong, being a 19" wide it could be 1400x900, 1680x1050 or 1360x768 depending on the panel and aspect - it's not 1024x768 that's for certain. Should say the native resolution on the box.

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2010 at 11:56 AM

Hi
I cant find anything about the resolution on the box niether the booklet that it came with???
on the asus web site ive found this for 19 inch wide

19”W+ format with higher resolution 1680x1050 and 3000:1 high dynamic contrast ratio deliver finer and sharper images.

p

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2010 at 12:03 PM

1440x900 is a vast improvement,thanks so much!
 The nightmare ends here at Renderosity forums as usual!!

p

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2010 at 12:40 PM

Quote -
19”W+ format with higher resolution 1680x1050 and 3000:1 high dynamic contrast ratio deliver finer and sharper images.

If that's what is says for your monitor, then that is the native resolution. The next question is then if your graphics card supports that. Try downloading the newest drivers for your card if that resolution isn't in the list.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2010 at 12:51 PM

Ah Trekki girl,I couldnt go any higher in properties.so i figured it was the Grapic card.

Drivers also ,dont know

p

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2010 at 1:56 PM

You may need a monitor driver as well. This will tell Windows what the correct native resolution is, and you'll be able to get more pixels.

Most monitors come with a CD with the necessary drivers installed, and software to configure monitor properties independent of your specific display card. See if you have one.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2010 at 2:26 PM

Actually there was no cd regarding the montor drivers and Im haveing trouble fining any on the web, so ill register with ASUS there and see what I can find on their forum,your right it could do with some more pixies in there,thanks for your help.
If i get the wrong drivers and install them can I then uninstall same back to the original drivers?(hate installing drivers)

p

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2010 at 2:42 PM

Most times when you install a driver it will create a System Restore Point. If you're nervous, you can always make one before installing :) 

restore points is the best feature ever invented IMO :) It has saved my ass more than once :)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2010 at 2:53 PM

There's also a button to roll back that individual driver.

How you get there depends on OS. In XP, right-click on My Computer and select Manage.

Then select Device Manager.

You should see a tree. In that tree are two branches: "Monitors" and "Display Adapters".

In those you'll find your devices. Double click one and you get a dialog with tabs.

Choose "Driver".

There you will find what you've got loaded and a button called "Roll Back Driver" if you need it.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2010 at 3:00 PM

Ah,wonderfull,Ill feel better about installing them now,feel abit of a dunce sometimes with this techy stuff but at least here every one is sincere and helpfull so it ok to admit that your not so computer literate.
Thanks again.

p

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2010 at 3:08 PM

*Quote - There's also a button to roll back that individual driver.

How you get there depends on OS. In XP, right-click on My Computer and select Manage.

Then select Device Manager.

You should see a tree. In that tree are two branches: "Monitors" and "Display Adapters".

In those you'll find your devices. Double click one and you get a dialog with tabs.

Choose "Driver".

There you will find what you've got loaded and a button called "Roll Back Driver" if you need it.*

****Hello again,
Ive just followed your directions to device manager/monitors and I see that I can also download microsoft drivers for my asus monitor from there,or am I dreaming,and would you recomend that?

p***

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2010 at 3:25 PM
Online Now!

In most cases, those are just generic drivers to get you going.  If the monitor is an old model, www.driverguide.com has an extensive collection of old and hard to find drivers.  Sometimes, it's a hit-or-miss process and you may need to wade through countless files before you find the right one.

BTW: free-registration

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2010 at 3:48 PM

Thanks for your advice but happily its a recent model 2010 so maybe Ill be ok?
Ill keep a note of that url though:)

p

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2010 at 8:36 AM

Hello,Ive been digging around trying to find more info on the monitor,looks like i gave you all the wrong info,easily done as its a rabbits warren out there,The product ASUS was built 2008 and the resolution specs are;
This screen boasts a resolution of 1440 x 900 pixels, an aspect ratio of 16:10 and can handle 16.7 million colours. The VW 193DR is also equipped with a dynamic contrast ratio of 50,000:1 to plunge you straight into the heart of the action.

so i dont think I can really improve on that?? Its a plug and play device,I looked under manage devices in My computer and it indicates that no drivers are installed at least there was no available info on drivers for this device.??

p

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2010 at 10:24 AM

The purpose of Plug and Play is so you don't have to install special drivers. I kind of suspected the resolution really was 1440, since the PnP should know.

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2010 at 11:25 AM

Well Ive certainly gained a lot of knowlege from all this,so thank you again for all of your help every one!
and "bagginsbill" of course:)

p

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.