Tue, Sep 24, 9:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 9:01 pm)

Subject: Poser pro 2010 and Poser 7 lockup

kirisute ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2010 at 8:59 AM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 9:36 PM

well the title says it all. just got done reformatting my pc and upgrading to the new poser pro and now it simply freezes every time i try to delete the standard figure and create a "lbank" default scene to load as a user preference...
trouible is even poser 7 is doing exactly the same!
video and system drivers are all brand new (only downloaded and installed today!
tried running in compatibility modes..tried disabling aero and visual themes..tried removing user prefs..tried sreed instead of OpenGL...

seen a couple of threads in the forums with the same issue but no resolution...only a an abigious statement from a user to contact SM for help! did anyone ever get a decent resolution or reply or manage to solve the problem themselves?
im tearing my hair out here!! (and i dont have alot left anyway!)

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2010 at 9:15 AM

Whenever I've had prolems like this I've switched the display method on Poser from OpenGL to Sree3D (i think thats it).  If it works in Sree3D then I suspect it is an OpenGl/Graphics Card issue.

If so then open your display drivers 3D settings and adjust them down to minimum to see if that helps.  If it does then gradually increase them until it falls over again.

Hope that helps.

John

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

kirisute ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2010 at 9:20 AM

figured it out! seems crappy programming of both doesnt actually disable OpenGL rendering completely!
dunno why but there ya go....
so if your encountering the issue this is what to do:
head into your poser config file and remove the extraneous OpenGL settings...
in vista/w7 head to:
users>"username">appdata>roaming>"poser version" and open the poser file therein...you might need to go another folder deeper for poser pro.....usually you will need to right click the poser.cfg file and open it with NOTEPAD

inside you will find a lot of text..look for these:
USE_OPENGL 0
PREVIEW_OGL_OBJECT_BBOXPICKING 0
PREVIEW_OGL_PRELITEORDER_NEW 0
PREVIEW_OGL_HWSHADING_INTRACKING 0

they are listed in order..the first one a good ten lines above the last 3....if you click to use SREED in the preview window that simply changes the value of the USE_OPENGL statement to 0..(by default its 1) HOWEVER! it leaves the rest set to use OpenGL still!!

change all the above settings to 0 (thats ZERO) and save your poser config file...and VOILA!! you wont be using OpenGL in poser anymore and you shouldnt be crashing anymore!
until Nvidia or SM sort it out thats the best resolution...ok you wont have fancy transparency previews...but it works!!

ratscloset ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2010 at 11:26 AM

If you are not using OpenGL, it does not matter what those settings of the others are at. They are telling how to do specific things when OpenGL is active. It is sort of like a Car in Reverse... if it is not running, it will start backing up. The Use OpenGL set to 1 is the car running

I am not sure why that worked for you. If you would, contact Support (Attn: John) with the system details.

Thanks

ratscloset
aka John

kirisute ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2010 at 11:55 AM · edited Tue, 17 August 2010 at 12:00 PM

oddly enough i had it working fine and dandy..fiddled and tested a couple of renders and then POW! it went fubar again! LOL

really cant be bothered to go through the whole SM file a report card and wait for days til you get the same old: update your drivers, check this and that....
its on my pc in the office so ill have a bit more of a fiddle tommorrow....
my win7 64 bit system is hammering Poser 7 just fine, in openGL mode as well...shrugs ill figure it out one way or another.

had the same with Poser 7 when it first came out; and if i recall poser 6 as well..the joys of OpenGL and Vista/win 7. checked the FAQ's at SM and i see the same old answers as well...remove your settings, update your drivers; stab a pencil in your ear til you see god!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.