Wed, Sep 18, 11:03 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Rigging help?

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2010 at 5:49 PM · edited Fri, 16 August 2024 at 8:39 AM

I'm trying to make a jumpsuit for V4. I rigged it with OBJ2CR2, and it fits her perfectly fine in the zero pose. Then I go to bend her forearm, and all of a sudden her elbow pokes through the jumpsuit. How can I set the joint parameters to make the jumpsuit bend better around her elbow? Here is what I have so far:

Try as I might, I can't get the suit to cover her elbow. What do I need to do to the joint parameters?

~*I've made it my mission to build Cyberworld, one polygon at a time*~

Watch it happen at my technology blog, Building Cyberworld.

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2010 at 5:52 PM

It may not be the joint parameters, Do you have enough geometry in that area? You'll need as many polys as the figure has or it won't bend the same. If you already knew this I appologize for bring it up. LOL

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2010 at 6:07 PM · edited Sun, 21 November 2010 at 6:12 PM

Click the Apply Bulges check box (from your above pic) then spin those dials (left pos, right neg, etc) one at a time, one of the dials will push "out" the back end of that bend. 😄

It probably won't look pretty.

Comitted to excellence through art.

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2010 at 6:27 PM

I do not have as many polys as the figure does, because the figure is V4 and she's pretty poly-heavy IMHO, but I do have quite a few polygons in the elbows. I that the geometry should be capable of making the curve without clipping off the corner where her elbow is.

I tried adding bulges. It helped a little, but not much and there was still lots of pokethrough.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2010 at 6:28 PM

Have you used the magnetise poses? V4 includes magnets as part of the joint rigging, and clothing needs the same magnets applied for it to conform properly. They're in your library at Pose > DAZ's Victoria 4 > Magnetize Clothing.

PhilC ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2010 at 6:32 PM

I think EB has got it, magnatize the clothing.

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2010 at 7:01 PM

You can work around this sometimes also by just giving a little empty space between your conformer's geometry and the conform target, before you get to the rigging stage.

Can you show a wireframe of how the conformer looks at the elbow at zero pose?  It may be you can just cut a loop or two and give the rig some more polys to work with right at the elbow, and the bend might work a lot smoother without adding very much poly count overall.

My Freebies

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2010 at 7:02 PM

Ever notice how those Brits stick together? LOL Kidding Phil, Bob.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2010 at 7:05 PM

They're like Poser's own little Tea Party movement. :lol:

Comitted to excellence through art.

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2010 at 8:03 PM

I have tried magnetizing the clothing, to no avail. I set Poser to show all deformers, and it looks to me like Victoria has no magnets in her elbows although she has lots in her torso, shoulders, and hips.

Here is a wireframe of the elbow:

I've been looking at the bending area a little more. It looks as though the issue is that the clothing elbow is bending in an even curve, like this: C. Victoria's elbow makes more of an angle, like this: < I'm experimenting with joint parameters and falloff zones to try and figure out how to make the suit bend properly. Surely if DAZ made Victoria bend like that, I can make a jumpsuit bend like that.

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2010 at 8:30 PM

Your mesh looks fine to me, personally I would give it a little bit more poly count there but I don't think it matters that much.  Is this happening with the V4 donor rig with no changes, or have you adjusted it very much?  Is the V4 character you're testing with morphed at all?  I think you are probably doing the right thing with both of these already but it doesn't hurt to ask.  Also did you apply the "Magnetize Clothing" pose as was suggested?

I'm kinda thinking your simplest fix is going to be just pulling the conformer's surface a bit away from the V4 base a bit and leaving a little empty space.  You also can solve this with a joint controlled morph (JCM).

My Freebies

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2010 at 10:49 AM

I don't know exactly how much the CR2 has been changed from the original--I rely on OBJ2CR2 to do that for me... I did apply the Magnetize Clothing pose and I am working on the straight-up, default, zero-posed Vicky with no morphs. I am looking into JCMs, but I'd prefer to make this work with a minimum of morphs possible because the jumpsuit is going to have a lot of shaping morphs to play dirty with other morphs.

What do you mean by "pull the conformer's surface a bit away from the V4 base"? Do you mean to just not make the clothes fit so tight on her elbows?

lesbentley ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2010 at 10:53 AM

V4 has one JCM (Joint Controled Morph) in the shoulders named "JCMElbowBendR" or "JCMElbowBendL", depending on which shoulder. This morph functions to make the elbow more pointed when the forearm is bent. I strongly suspect that it is that morph that accounts for the diffrence between your clothing and the figure.

I feel that the best solution may be to make equivalent JCM for the clothing. If that sounds too hard, you could try using "Morphing Clothes" from D3D to transfer the morphs fron V4 to the clothing.

lesbentley ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2010 at 11:38 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_461980.png

(click image for larger view)

The above image shows V4 with JCM turned off for the right forearm.

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2010 at 1:06 PM

lesbentley, you are my hero! I didn't think about V4 having a JCM because I couldn't find it... of course DAZ had hidden it carefully. I pulled out Morphing Clothes and transferred the JCM to my clothing, tweaked the falloff zones a bit, and it worked perfectly 😄

Just a random observation, I had to load V4 into Poser, save a copy of her in my figure library, and then load the copy in Morphing Clothes to get it to show her JCMs. Interesting... but I found them!

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2010 at 1:37 PM

Glad that worked out :) 

My Freebies

lesbentley ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2010 at 1:47 PM

Glad you got it working. 😄

If I remember correctly, the default V4.2 cr2 does not actually contain any JCM channels. What it does contain is readScript lines that load the JCM when the figure is loaded. If you save V4 back to the library, that new copy will contain all the morphs, and no readScript lines.  I tend to work with a saved copy of V4. But when doing that, you need to save a new copy from the original whenever you use the updater, so that your copy has all the latest morphs. It's also worth remembering that you need external binary morphs turned off, if you want the copy to contain the morph deltas.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.