Wed, Sep 18, 2:10 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Tiling textures

Barwickian ( ) posted Thu, 16 December 2010 at 4:14 AM · edited Fri, 06 September 2024 at 5:06 AM

file_463010.jpg

Are there any issues with using image-based tiling textures in material files for distribution?

I see relatively few items built on tiles - full image maps, shaders, procedurals, yes.

Here's a couple of textures I've made for Powerage's Strapped Suit using only seamless tiling textures (also by me) with a touch of displacement.

Does the fact that I use metres as my default unit affect the scale if somone using US/imperial measurements or Poser native units using the texture? Or does it, as I suspect, relate only to the size of the UV map (ie, if I set my U and V scales to 0.1, the tile will repeat 10 times on that map)?

I can, of course, use my seamless tiles and textures to paint the UV template and create a full image-based texture, but it seems a bit pointless to  create large texture files when a couple of vastly smaller tiles will do the job.

Andy Staples
The Penultimate HârnPage -- www.penultimateharn.com

ShaaraMuse3D ( ) posted Thu, 16 December 2010 at 4:19 AM

I think that whatever units you use, is just how it's displayed, the values won't change.  If the actual values would change, most of the bump/displacement maps would not look very pretty. ;)

I'm no poser authority though, so don't take my word for it or anything!

But it looks like it to me that what you are doing works. Looks good, too.  

Barwickian ( ) posted Thu, 16 December 2010 at 4:53 AM

Quote - But it looks like it to me that what you are doing works. Looks good, too.  

Thank you. I've been practising a bit, and tweaking those textures until I'm happy with them - but after more than 6 years using Poser, it's about time I got round to making my own textures.

Andy Staples

BionicRooster ( ) posted Thu, 16 December 2010 at 2:02 PM
Forum Moderator

I have made a lot of my props and clothes using tiled textures, seems easier to me, and more universal when it comes to changing from one texture to another.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2010 at 1:12 AM

This would matter if a user goes to export whatever content to a third party app, but typically they're on their own in that case anyway.  I can't think of any other caveat.

Your selected default measurement unit doesn't matter, it's converted internally to an "agnostic" value to avoid just the trouble you're thinking of.

My Freebies

Barwickian ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2010 at 5:10 PM

Thanks Paul.

Your mention of exports makes me wonder whether these tiling textures would work in DAZ Studio.

I guess I ought to download it and find out. While these particular textures are intended to be freebies, I do evenually want to start making some commercial ones, so I shouldn't ignore Studio users.

Andy Staples

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2010 at 7:45 PM

Pretty sure they won't.  It's frustrating that they only offer the most basic materials support in the free version of D|S, I'm not interested in paying for the materials plugin for an app I never use and I'm not convinced it would ever pay me back anyway.

My Freebies

Barwickian ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2010 at 5:18 PM

file_463065.jpg

I suspected as much. But when I have the time, probably in the new year, I'll download it and give it a go anyway.

But even if it cuts off a good number of DAZ Studio people, I'm reluctant to go the whole hog and create a full, painted texture map because I think it'll lose one of the nicest parts of tiling textures - the ability to render in extreme close-up without overstretching your system.

The attached image was rendered in PP2010 with IDL (using IDL Studio), GC and displacement. Since the tiles are 512x512 pixels, at a UV scale of 0.1, that's the equivalent of a 5120x5120 pixel texture (if this works the way I think it does - an assumption not always accurate in Poser).

Meanwhile, the Poser version is about ready to load into freestuff. Is anyone willing to test it for me before I do so? If so, please send me your email address via site mail, and I'll send you the zip.

You'l need P6+. While having Powerage's Strapped Suit is an advantage, it isn't necessary, as I'm also including all the base tiling textures as single materials to apply to other models.

(Testing a freebie? Yes, please. This will be my first content upload, and I'm in training to become a vendor eventualy. I want this to look good, be packaged right, be nice and easy to use. In short, I want it to be professional.)

Andy Staples

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2010 at 5:47 PM

Quote - This would matter if a user goes to export whatever content to a third party app, but typically they're on their own in that case anyway.  I can't think of any other caveat.

Your selected default measurement unit doesn't matter, it's converted internally to an "agnostic" value to avoid just the trouble you're thinking of.

Thanks! This has been worrying me a little, too. More with displacement values than with tiles, but same thing really. If I make something and enter the displacement value in cm... I just HOPE it is converted to something usable for those who use inches or PNU :) I'm glad to know everything is internally converted (to PNU I guess?)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 19 December 2010 at 3:26 AM

Honestly I never bothered to work out exactly what the base measurement is, once I noticed it didn't matter what unit I had selected.

My Freebies

Barwickian ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 6:23 PM

The textures are now in Freestuff. Commercial use allowed. Enjoy - and if you can give me feedback, especially things to improve, thank you in advance.

Andy Staples

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 6:41 PM

Well don't link it or nothin, can't have things too convenient for people or they get all soft and lazy!

My Freebies

Barwickian ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 6:45 PM

That sound is me slapping my forehead. Duh!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=62821

Thanks, Paul.

Andy Staples

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 2010 at 8:49 AM

Cool.  Thank you.  I love tiles, it helps to make one of M4's outfits into a matching set.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.