Mon, Sep 9, 8:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Possible new python script?

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sun, 19 December 2010 at 10:42 AM · edited Tue, 23 July 2024 at 1:09 AM

I noticed the other day that posers drop to floor command is pretty basic, and was wondering if anyone else ever wondered why there isn't an option to make the lowest foot to hit the floor flatten as if standing on it  (whilst keeping the figures pose), and altering the higher foot until the heel is as close to the floor without changing the pose or dropping the lower foot below the ground plane.... there could even be a bias so the the feet would be at an angle to the floor (to allow for high heels etc), this would save so much time as im sure everyone spends time altering feet possitions when posing figures, it would be much easier to pose the figure a distance above the floor then drop the figure and the feet would bend automatically...

could this be made into a python script and would anyone be interested? or is this one for the next generation of poser?

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 19 December 2010 at 10:56 AM

That would be a very convenient script if someone could get it just right.  It may require some sort of collision detection and separate scripting for different foot positioning.  The scripting may be extensive and may slow poser response down.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sun, 19 December 2010 at 11:02 AM

it would only slow down during the use of the command, and im betting it would be a lot better than manual posing....

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 19 December 2010 at 11:17 AM

Yes, i agree with you on both points.  I wonder how IK response could figure into equation.  Giving the model some weight and gravity response.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 19 December 2010 at 11:34 AM

Well, I want Poser to get up every morning at 6am and cook my breakfast. But that's neither here nor there....;o).

Laurie

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Sun, 19 December 2010 at 11:50 AM

file_463082.gif

[lol@Laurie](mailto:lol@Laurie) I was thinking the same thing.

It  would seem easier to maybe allow for save-able "Foot" poses...not unlike the Hands library though they would likely be item/character specific. Then just use the Drop To Floor command.

Personally...I like fiddling with posing body parts, It makes me feel like I have more to do with the creation process, than just pointing and clicking.

Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sun, 19 December 2010 at 12:48 PM

but this would also help out with custom walk animations too, or perhaps people just like to have anything easier?

jonnybode ( ) posted Sun, 19 December 2010 at 1:16 PM

Im sure many people would be interested in a script like that, and theres nothing wrong with asking for one either.

Shedofjoy, take your question to the Python forum and cross your fingers for good luck.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sun, 19 December 2010 at 1:50 PM

Ive been a member here since 2002 and still i should have realised there is a python forum,lol... im off to ask there now thankyou Jonnybode

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Sun, 19 December 2010 at 2:03 PM

You guy's are right...nuthin wrong with scripts,automation,array's...they are used in CG all the time.

Just bustin yer chops a bit.

8 )

Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 19 December 2010 at 2:44 PM

And I was just kidding as well. I tend to do that sometimes ;o).

I use scripts all the time (thank you ockham), although I use them mostly when I'm setting up to do something else...zeroing a figure or turning off IK, mirroring magnets and morphs, etc. :o).

Laurie

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 19 December 2010 at 6:56 PM

file_463086.jpg

@ the OP:

Hi not to bring up the touchy subject of poser rigging
but it sounds like you are describing the "industry standard"
Foot rigging where the characters feet stay "pinned" but can slide left right and have a separate controller for heel& toe lift
this is something that should built into  poser rigs from the start but since most poser figures are built with still poses in mind and NOT animation  well blah blah .. dont get me /us started

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 19 December 2010 at 11:05 PM

I generally animate using IK for the feet. I just find it easier and have always done it that way.  Move the hip, move the feet , tweak the thigh and calf .

I am having a look at the requested script, because what I miss is a drop to floor where the floor may be a scene prop.  First cut is a bounding box calculation.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 4:26 AM

I just thought it would be nice if the drop to the floor would alter the feet so the figure is properly in contact with the ground, but i think a drop to object would also be usefull.

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 5:31 AM

Actually, there is have a "make art" button now...

Poser's "make art" button

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

lesbentley ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 10:30 AM · edited Mon, 20 December 2010 at 10:33 AM

Quote - the "industry standard" Foot rigging where the characters feet stay "pinned" but can slide left right and have a separate controller for heel& toe lift.

Hu? I must be missing the point somehow, I thought Poser already had most of that that. With IK on you can use the translate dials to slide the or lift the feet, and the rotate dials to lift the toes. The only thing it does not have is a way to lift the heel whilst keeping the toes on the floor. You could probably do that by making a new IK chain with the toes as the goal.
[edit]
I like very much shedofjoy's idea of a script to make  the foot parallel to the  ground, as this can be very time consuming.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 10:57 AM

I get the feeling that some realise what im saying and others seam to think that i want the pc to make art for me.

Making the feet stand on the ground during the Drop to floor command i think is a good idea, maybe the old painfull ways are best, makes you wonder why anyone upgrades to the newer versions of poser,lol

grichter ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 11:01 AM

Weired part is (in my mind at least) you can get away with a lot where the hands grab something or the body leans against or sits on something and things being slightly off and not killing the final render. But a foot not positioned right as the viewer of the render would expect on the intended surface and the scene looks hookey.

Going forward if the artist of the shoes stated the shoes were X thick (some type of offset measurement in the cr2 or pp2), and when doing a drop to floor poser added that to the bottom of the foot, then you would have a home run in my opinion. But I don't expect this to ever occur. :bored:

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

markschum ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 12:39 PM

I just turn IK on , drop to floor , and lower the hip a bit till the feet are flat, if the pose is not too far off to start with .

I am looking for a fast way to tell the foots position relative to the floor, but I lost my worldmatrix script :( at the moment.

Adom ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 1:30 PM

Quote - I just thought it would be nice if the drop to the floor would alter the feet so the figure is properly in contact with the ground...

this might be a little more difficult that it seems. In some cases making the foot steady(within even few frames) is quite challenging (if not imposible) - altering one of the rotation may give completly unexpected results

...but since that script has to move whole figure only in one direction (y) and doesn't have to take care of anything else it should work.

wolf359 ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 4:06 PM

Quote - i think is a good idea, maybe the old painfull ways are best, makes you wonder why anyone upgrades to the newer versions of poser,lol

Well as an animator and user of C4D R11+Vray with the INTERPOSER PRO  bridge

I have /Will not upgrade from poser6 OSX
The animation tools effectively have not improved since poser4 and obviously I have no interest in actually rendering  in poser

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 4:14 PM

..out of interest Wolf.. how many times have you told us that....? ;)

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

wolf359 ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 7:25 PM

Do a search .. start counting.. get back to us with your results

My website

YouTube Channel

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.