Fri, Sep 20, 4:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: How to determine the x, y and z axis with lights?

Michaelab ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2011 at 8:10 AM · edited Sat, 07 September 2024 at 7:26 AM

I'm having a devil of a time - and wasting a lot of time - trying to position lights with the Poser 8 Light Controls. One thing that would help is if I could determine, when moving the lights, which direction is x, y and z when I try to rotate them. Can anyone give me tips you use to position lights to get them where you want them?

And why can't you move the light closer and are only able to rotate them?

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2011 at 8:29 AM

Which type of lights?

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2011 at 11:09 AM

with my setup and default camera locations  x is left/right, z is forward/back and y is up/down   The infinite lights cant be moved , just rotated around the 0,0,0 position. 

Spotlights and point lights can be placed anywhere.

grichter ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2011 at 11:14 AM

Quote -  

And why can't you move the light closer and are only able to rotate them?

Has to be talking about infinite lights. Spot and point you can move all over the place.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

geep ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2011 at 11:24 AM

Attached Link: Poser's Lights Tutorial

file_465994.gif

*(click the image to view full size)* *(click the link above the image to view the complete tutorial)* *(then ... scroll down to view all the pages in the tutorial)*

Here's a tut for ya that might help. 😄

It's an oldie but a goodie and may help explain how Poser's Lights work.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2011 at 11:27 AM · edited Thu, 24 February 2011 at 11:27 AM

Attached Link: Poser's Spotlights Tutorial

file_465995.gif

Or ......... perhaps, this one. 😄

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2011 at 11:29 AM

Attached Link: Poser's Lighting Basics Tutorial

file_465996.gif

Or ............. 😄

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2011 at 11:31 AM

Attached Link: Fine Tuning Poser's Spotlights Tutorial

file_465997.gif

And ... last but not least ... 😄

Enjoy !!! :biggrin:

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Michaelab ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2011 at 12:08 PM

Thanks big G I'll get educated!

lesbentley ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2011 at 3:09 PM

I find the way Poser adds lights with a random colour and off center is annoying. I zerowed the the translations, and rotations of a spotlight, and set its colour to white. I then used Ctrl+C to Copy the data, and Pasted it (Ctrl+V) into a text file.

I can copy the text and paste it into a light to give me a zeroed white light. The same file should work on any type of light.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2011 at 4:47 PM

Quote - I find the way Poser adds lights with a random colour and off center is annoying. I zerowed the the translations, and rotations of a spotlight, and set its colour to white. I then used Ctrl+C to Copy the data, and Pasted it (Ctrl+V) into a text file.

I can copy the text and paste it into a light to give me a zeroed white light. The same file should work on any type of light.

That's one way, but not as convenient as how I do it.

I make a light configured how I want. I save it to the library. Later, I load as many of these as I want using the "Add preset to current scene" button. This leaves the existing lights and adds what I want. I never use Poser's "Add a light".

I have saved all my favorite individual lights, such as my favorite sun, as well as multi-spot setups, several rims for add-ons, etc.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

lesbentley ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2011 at 5:39 PM

"Add preset to current scene" button.

P6 (grumble, grumble), must update (grumble grumble).

LBAMagic ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2011 at 7:14 PM

@Geep - Great tutorials.

@Michaelab - You may also want to consider purchasing Semidieu's Advance Lights & Camera Guides (at RuntimeDNA). They're a great visual aid to setting up lights and camerals. Maybe able to grab them at the next special sales (I did).

geep ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2011 at 9:07 PM

Thanks LB. 😄

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

moriador ( ) posted Fri, 25 February 2011 at 12:52 AM

Geep, you're a hero. Thank you!

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 25 February 2011 at 3:45 AM

Quote - "Add preset to current scene" button.

Same here, Les.  :(

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

SteveJax ( ) posted Fri, 25 February 2011 at 5:55 AM

Quote - "Add preset to current scene" button.

Get someone to write you a python script for "Add Light to Scene"? Or isn't there already one that does that called Light Panel?

cspear ( ) posted Fri, 25 February 2011 at 6:59 AM

file_466017.txt

Here are the default Point and Spot lights I made for myself. They will load with Inverse Square attenuation into the middle of the scene at about head-height. They're intended for P8 / PP2010. I've changed the way they preview so they're easier to see and find.

Save the file above to your PC and change the .txt extension to .zip. Then extract to where you want (into a Lights folder).

Load these default lights by selecting them in the library and clicking on the Double Tick: any other method will cause all other lights in the scene to be deleted.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

Michaelab ( ) posted Sat, 26 February 2011 at 11:46 PM

Thanks for all the help guys and gals. I'll check into them all.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.