Mon, Sep 9, 3:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Wind force and dynamic cloth

FaeMoon ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2011 at 6:36 PM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 1:57 PM

So, playing with the Mucha Reverie dress from Daz.. want some wind effect with it.  So far the dress itself behaves well in cloth room.

I'm following this tutorial

http://artzone.daz3d.com/wiki/doku.php/pub/tutorials/poser/poser-misc47

so, it says, with cloth selected, insert windforce object.. check.. did that.. then positioned the object and set the settings to what the tutorial author said.. then set up my simulation and ran it.  It really didn't affect the cloth at all.

I'm wondering, am I in the pose tab when I select like the dress as a prop (which it is) and then put in the windforce?  If I'm in the cloth room tab with it selected, then I can't move the force field.  

What's the deal?

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2011 at 7:18 PM

I found that the first time I tried wind with dynamic cloth that I over-estimated wind effect, so that little/no movement occurred.

Look at the < shaped wind generator guide which is visible in the pose room preview.  Place the wind generator close enough that the dynamic cloth will be well inside the cone, or increase the wind force to enlarge the cone.  Then try the dynamic simulation again.

Also, in the cloth room, be aware of the air damping variable for the cloth.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

FaeMoon ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2011 at 7:32 PM

Trying that, and also trying to turn the air dampening low so that the cloth has more effect from the wind.  Is it better to run the simulation with the pose/dynamic cloth and then do a new simulation for the wind force.  I have the figure turning a few degrees to one side (less  than 10) so maybe that is cancelling the windforce?

The settings I'm using are close to what she has, but I have the cone moved and rotated to hit her from the side.

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2011 at 7:40 PM · edited Sat, 09 April 2011 at 7:40 PM

I think greater air damping will result in more effect by air (corrections, anybody?)

I have only done the wind sim and drape/fit-to-pose sim in one shot.  I suppose you could sim the cloth draping and fitting the pose, and then with more animation frames place/turn on the wind generator and run another cloth sim.  I've never tried that.

Poser 12, in feet.  

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

FaeMoon ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2011 at 7:42 PM

Okay, I'll try it a few different ways

markschum ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2011 at 10:09 PM

I suggest to get the hang of it , you start with just a cloth square and set a couple of polys on the top edge to choreographed.

The wind device has an option for gusts, so set that and run the sim until you get the flag flapping.  

I tend to put the figure near the edge of the wind effect.

shuy ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2011 at 5:36 AM

I think you use Poser 8. Am I right?

I have read on this forum that windforce does not work in P8 and PPro.

ErickL88 ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2011 at 5:46 AM

Just in case ... I haven't tried this myself yet, but what about "Collision detection"?

Maybe it's needed to be turned on as well, for Cloths and Hair props, in oder to work with wind force.

shuy ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2011 at 5:58 AM

Found similar thread

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2815804

FaeMoon ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2011 at 9:34 AM

Oh?  So it won't work in Poser Pro 2010?  that's a rip off.. it should have all the functionality.. the forcefield is there to use.  Grrrrr.. I have poser 8 as well, but didn't want to have it installed too, maybe I will have to do that.

I have collision turned on for her body, was hoping to get a lovely wind whipping the long dress around effect.  Maybe BB knows if this is hopeless in PP 2010 or not. :P

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2011 at 9:50 AM

You dont need collision detection turned on, you need the cloth room collision objects defined for the cloth to interact with anything else.

you can simulate a constant wind by tilting your character and making gravity do the work. Once the simulation is complete , tilt it back.

FaeMoon ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2011 at 9:55 AM

Yeah, but kinda wanted the turbulence/flag snapping on the edges effect, you know?  I just wonder why it doesn't operate in pp 2010.. may have to install 08 in a bit, I'm such a perfectionist  :P

shuy ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2011 at 1:23 PM · edited Sun, 10 April 2011 at 1:23 PM

I'm affraid that PPro and P8 have the same problem (I'm not sue I have P7). Maybe you can abtain free copy of P7 from SM because software which they sold you is broken ;)

FaeMoon ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2011 at 4:41 PM

Quote - I'm affraid that PPro and P8 have the same problem (I'm not sue I have P7). Maybe you can abtain free copy of P7 from SM because software which they sold you is broken ;)

Hmm.. that doesn't make me happy.. I'll contact them though, I wanted to use IDL light too for what I was doing.  maybe I'll just fake the windforce with tilting the pose and then doing some deformation with the mesh instead.

shuy ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2011 at 5:54 PM

IDL works in P7. P8 give you only gamma correction option.

FaeMoon ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2011 at 6:00 PM

Oh,.. hrm... that's right, but I'm so spoiled with Gamma.. :P  man, I just want all mah toys in one box!  heehee

Kalypso ( ) posted Mon, 11 April 2011 at 3:47 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Actually IDL is in Poser 8 and both IDL and GC in Poser Pro 2010.  Poser 7 has neither.  I'm not sure what effect you want from the wind force object.   It works in PP2010 for me both for still images and animation. 

Try this tutorial http://www.philc.net/windforce.php 

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2011 at 12:36 AM

After trying a dynamic cloth simulation twelve times with various adjustments (collision depth, collision offset, etc) in P8, I now rather suspect that the dynamic cloth simulation feature itself is screwed up in P8 & PP2010. 

The scene simply dropped a blanket onto a sleeping dollie.  In P8 the simulation initially seemed to be running well, but then it went divergent and formed bizarre distortions of the cloth.  It also seemed to partially ignore collisions, with parts of the blanket dropping through the doll, the mattress, and the floor.

I opened the same scene in P7 and ran the simulation -with the same settings- successfully.  When it finished, I went to the last frame and exported the blanket as an obj.  I then imported this obj back into P7 and saved it as a prop.  I was then able to use the blanket in a PP2010 render.

Poser 12, in feet.  

shuy ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2011 at 5:39 AM

You are right Kalypso. I confused IBL and IDL.

I used windforce few time, but when I made this bouncing bed:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/40278/View/5/3D-Model/Dynamic-matterss

I had problem with object between windforce and cloth. I was surprised then in PhilC tutorial windforce affect clothplane under ground prop. In my simulation this did not worked.

Do you have any prop between force field and dynamic cloth? Maybe P7 and PPro treat them different way.

FaeMoon ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2011 at 7:45 AM

I have to work today, but tomorrow I will try the PhilC tutorial in PP 2010 and see.  I'm hoping it will work, though I'm not trying to get an animation, just a nice pose with her dress looking blown by the wind.  Something that should be simple, I have it in the cone area, the simulation works to set up the dress logically with the pose, only would like the beautiful wrinkles in the cloth from being blown.

If I could get it to work, would be lovely, now that I understand it, I could get a veil with a constrained area at a hand and then the rest blowing or something.  The mind races with possibilities.

Kalypso ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2011 at 9:12 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

I just tried it again with one of the free Optitex dresses.   I loaded S4 and the dress and adjusted and then with the dress selected I loaded a wind force object.   I increased the range and moved it in the direction I wanted the wind to blow.   At this point I think the tutorial you posted was not so clear.   The dress has to be within the cone but if the narrow part of the cone is too close to the dress there will be less of a wind effect.  Notice how the dress falls into the wider range.  

I changed my frames to 20 and on frame 15 I posed S4 and then went back to frame 1 and into the cloth room where I clothified and ran the simulation.   As you can see the dress is being blown in the direction the wind force object is pointed at.   To be honest I haven't tried with any other intersecting objects so I don't know what, if any, bugs there are in PP2010 but for the purpose you describe of having a pose with the dress blown it works.   I'm not sure what you mean by  "only would like the beautiful wrinkles in the cloth from being blown".   If you want some parts unaffected then I suppose you'll have to constrain them. 

I'm posting the images one at a time since I don't know how I can upload more than one so bear with me :)

Kalypso ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2011 at 9:13 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

Kalypso ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2011 at 9:13 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

aRtBee ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2011 at 3:38 PM

hi all,

from about Oct to Dec 2010 we ran a great thread on Dynamics anything, me and Bagginsbill and others doing some research.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2815804

Somewere halfway I did the details on windforce (page 10, Dec 22 11;12 am).

Quoting myself:

gravity acceleration in Poser is 9,8 m/s2 ( = 9,8 * 100 / (30*30) ) = 1,089 cm/frame^2. It is slightly different from the one used in the Gravity script from the Scripts menu, so take care when mixing results from both.

density in Poser is gram/cm2, so the default 0,0050 means 50 grams/m2, about half the value for office paper and good for light linen. The max 1.0 means 10 kg/m2 which is about a sheet of lead of 1 mm thick.

air damping in Poser is gram/cm2 per second (not per frame!). An object that feels a force will accelerate, the airdamping will increase with velocity, and this results in a maximum speed for the cloth relative to the wind/atmosphere. So when out figure is wearing a gown, and some body parts are moving at about or above this speed limit, we can expect the cloth sim to break or to show that the other forces have to work hard to make it possible.

For a force of 1G (gravity) this speed is v = d.g/a for the Poser dial values d (density) and a (air damping). So our default light linen reads: v = 0,005 * 9.8 / 0,02 =  2,45 m/s (= 2,45*100/30) = 8,16 cm/frame. Which is not that much, and does have considerable effects on the speed of our animations, and the amount of frames needed to establish a decent simulation result.

windforce amplitude in Poser is m/s, that is: amplitude 1 applied horizontally to a cloth of default material (light linen) pulled down vertically by gravity, will bring the cloth into a 45 degrees angle. That is: 3,46 m/s. For amplitudes below 1 the dial behaves in a linear way, so 0.5 implies half the windspeed. For windspeeds above 1, doubling the dial value quadruples the windspeed. This translates into: 

- amplitude 1,0 is the upper limit of Beaufort 2, light breeze. 
 - amplitude 0,5 is the upper limit of Beaufort 1, light air 
 - amplitude 0,1 is the upper limit of Beaufort 0, calm 
 - amplitude 2,0 is the upper limit of Beaufort 6, strong breeze
 - amplitude 3,0 is the lower limit of Beaufort 12, hurricane

Relevant for those who want to combine poses, moves, cloth sims and falling props into one believable shot. For instance: at windforce 2, the wind speed is 3,46 * 4 = 13,84 m/s. At default air damping, this will exercise a force of 13,84 / 2,45 (see above) = 5,65 G's on the cloth. This requires a figure working very hard to walk slowly forward against the wind, and also requires large stretch resistance values to prevent the gown from being ripped in pieces.

So I do hope that some understanding not only enables you to make believable dynamic clothes, but also to make believable dynamic pictures.

End quote.

And by the way, the wind generator is limited to some distance. You get full speed within that range, and no speed at at outside it. the sudden drop-down will give weird effects on large pieces of cloth.

happy posing.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.