Mon, Jul 8, 4:09 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 26 1:13 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Bryce 7 Lens Flare

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2011 at 8:02 AM · edited Sun, 07 July 2024 at 11:21 PM

Hello Brycer chums,

Any of you who may have seen my pictures know that I love a good old lens flare.  

Has anyone tried the lens flare option in B7?   It seems to want an image or procedual, which seems a slightly odd way to go, but hey, I'm open to try anything.   I'm going to play around, but wondered what luck any of you have had.

Please post tips and examples of your Bryce lens flares.   Specifically using the option under Radial lights.

Phil

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2011 at 8:10 AM
Forum Moderator

B7 has lens flare?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2011 at 8:59 AM

heck, I've been using the Gimp to do mine...

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2011 at 9:01 AM

file_468356.jpg

Yup, and I quote from DAZ "Lens Flare - Often, powerful light sources such as the sun will interact with the camera lens or human cornea resulting in a Flaring Effect. Bryce 7 provides an elegant means of producing Lens Flares that will make your distant sunlight and other light effects look better than ever."

It says it right in the specs, so it must be true.   Where we used to have Surface and Volume under the light settings, we now have Flare too.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2011 at 9:09 AM

AND on a related note, the new light options in the Create bar, such as dome... do they work?  I can't seem to click on them.

And why does the help go to Bryce 6 rather than Bryce 7 help? 

That's not very helpful.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

electroglyph ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2011 at 9:51 AM

file_468359.jpg

Look in Bryce7PresetsLensFlaresClay Hagebusch

You will find a directory that says:

Here's how I'm doing flares:
create a radial light
edit in light lab
select Visible, lens flare then image
select import and load one of these lens flare images.

I've highlighted the available flare image to show it's a mixture of White and clear with an alpha blend. Not tried it yet but this is the info available.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2011 at 10:04 AM

grrr, I don't have that folder.  Maybe my Bryce is out of date.....

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2011 at 10:18 AM

mmm, PLE doesn't have that folder.   Is it a separate resource?

Anyway, I've kinda moved on from that.  Now I'm trying to get the distant lights to work.  Clicking on it does nothing.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2011 at 10:27 AM

file_468361.jpg

OK, kinda got it to work.  But ended up creating a flare in Carrara, saving as a BMP and then using that in Bryce.   There's not a lot of control.   Unless I'm missing something, postwork is still a better option.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2011 at 10:37 AM

Ah, the fancy lights are a PRO feature.   Not sure I ever got the pro version.  I've switched systems since then anyway.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

clay ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2011 at 12:33 PM

It ain't fancy yet, but it does work, and yes not a lot of controls for it as well, like exclusion when the flare intersects with an object etc, will be a new feature enhancement in the future of fixes.

Do atleast one thing a day that scares the hell outta ya!!

clay ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2011 at 12:34 PM

Also if you notice on the flares...you can make multiple suns using this option and they will also actually produce light:-)

clay ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2011 at 1:06 PM

And another side note, sorry my mind is running in 20 million directions at once latley, in photoshop make your lens flare, or any other paint program, but what you want to do is after you make the flare ( I use a 512x512 aspectratio ) make your flare black, then invert it to white, select all, save selection to get the alpha channel, then flatten against a white background otherwise the flare will have a greyish haze around it. then in bryce you can also color the flare using the mat lab and the lighting lab.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Mon, 02 May 2011 at 1:43 AM · edited Mon, 02 May 2011 at 1:44 AM

file_468411.jpg

Uh..I just installed the last update I got around Xmas but some how forgot to install and it doesn't have that folder either....

'EDIT'

...thought I didn't but searched[in Win7] Lens Flare and found it in......

Users>Public>Public Documents>DAZ 3D>Bryce...see screen grab

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

electroglyph ( ) posted Mon, 02 May 2011 at 4:46 AM

I had a lot of trouble with the Windows Vista install. It wanted to break up the install and put some folders in the Program Data folder because I told it to install Bryce for a single user. I gave my daughter an account on the machine so she could install WOW and Fallout. It wouldn't find the materials lab untill I re-installed it for all users. I know it breaks the eula but she's never going to try Bryce. I even deleted the shortcuts from her account. If DAZ wants different they can fix the install and fix the bug report so I can log in.

When I installed the extra pro content the root directory was wrong. I had to manually type the path to the Presets directory. There are thousands of the old image textures and billboard tiffs from bryce 3d , 4, etc in contenttextureslegacy.

You can do a search for the Clay Hagebusch directory to see if your install mis-filed the extra content. If you find it I'd try re-installing the content and edit the path so it goes to your presets directory.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Mon, 02 May 2011 at 9:04 AM

Having had access to a proper lens flare in Imagine3D all these years I will probably never use this work around/approximation of a lens flare [add one in post with PSCS if I really need the artifact present to make an image jump].. ... but it's good to know where this stuff is winding up. Had I paid attention when I selected All Users on the install I sorta recall it sayin it was puttin that stuf in Users which is why I did the search and it turned up straight away.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

skiwillgee ( ) posted Mon, 02 May 2011 at 11:14 AM

Frankly, I'm getting very disappointed in Bryce and Studio both.  I have pro versions of both and it seems that 'pro' means more bugs, crashes, promises, non-working features, etc...

Even the installer stuff that electroglyph is speaking of.  Why install content into user files anyway?  C: drive keeps getting bigger and bigger and I wonder why.  Why not give the end user the option to put program files in C: with a path pointer to data such as presets and content in other volumes if the user desired?  That would make life a lot simpler when upgrading, or more likely, having to re-install because of corrupted files.  If executables only were in C: then operating system upgrades would take a quatum leap from "oh crap, there goes my weekend!"

(steps off soap box)

... and, another thing...   You may think I'm stupid but I built a PC for graphics only work.  It is not hooked to internet, does not have anti-virus software, and runs lean, clean and fast.  Sounds good so far?  Well, nowadays all the manuals are wikis viewable on net only because it is in a constant state of flux or you get referred to a youtube tutorial.  My word, DAZ, I'll pay $50 for a book.  Kitchen's "Real World Bryce" was an outstanding investment.  I wonder if no one tackles writing a manual for the same reason I stated above, "can't write a book about bugs, crashes and promises for a non-working feature"

... (steps down again, runs away, dodgeing stones and bricks)

clay ( ) posted Mon, 02 May 2011 at 1:37 PM

On the note of installation: we found the issue with that (most recently actually) there was a bug in the installer software and what it was is that it installs duplicates in 2 different places hence the bulkiness of file overload, it is going to be addressed as well as a lot of other issues. Right now Daz is working on getting their other software programs updated for new releases so Bryce for the moment is kinda on the backburner so our job for the moment is disecting everything we can and get it logged to the bug reports in Major to minor priorities.

As far as Susan's book: LOL I helped on that 85 pound thing LMAO!! It took a loooooong time to get it written and be accurate, that book still applies to even the latest version minus the new features, and don't ask Susan if she would add the new stuff in or she would go bolistic, by the time we got the book done I don't think she ever wanted to use Bryce again LOL!.

Rayraz ( ) posted Mon, 02 May 2011 at 3:04 PM

Okay, so this is not really brycian.. but when i think of cool lense flares.. i cant help but think of this little gem:

http://www.videocopilot.net/products/opticalflares/

Its sooo friggin sweeeet, my inner lensflare geek just cant resist it.. lol

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Mon, 02 May 2011 at 3:28 PM

Attached Link: axion page

Very cool RR...axion makes/made a plugin with killer lens flares for PS some time ago...wonder if we could convince them to do one for Bryce...hmmm..we just need .8bf functionality..is this do-able?

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

skiwillgee ( ) posted Mon, 02 May 2011 at 4:09 PM

Attached Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmzzbeQLHHo

More heresy. Look at Mec4d's Carrara animation.  The lens flare must have been generated in Carrara because of the flare's smooth interaction with the rest of the scene.

clay ( ) posted Mon, 02 May 2011 at 4:47 PM

I've always used Knolls light factory for flares for post product in AE and such, the key here though is that the lens flares in Bryce will actullay emit Light like the sun, so you can have multiple suns etc. It still needs tweaking for sure, but we have a wish list of having a lab for it, but there's so much to absorb and to get done, its a daunting task but it will come in time.

Gog ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2011 at 3:11 AM · edited Tue, 03 May 2011 at 3:14 AM

I like the GIMP lens flare, very good tools, I would also note I have a love of the LUCE photoshop plug in - works very well in GIMP with PMSP.

Edit: Adding the link -  http://amicoperry.altervista.org/luce/index.html

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2011 at 6:46 AM
Forum Moderator

So here's a thing..... why do we need lens flare anyway?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Rayraz ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2011 at 7:18 AM

cuz they're cool..

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Hubert ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2011 at 7:59 AM

Cause they are great fun to play with??  

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2012037

:)
Hubert

"All that we see or fear, is but a Sphere inside a Sphere."     (E. A. Pryce -- Tuesday afternoon, 1845)

Gog ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2011 at 12:36 PM

because an image without lens flare is like a kiss without a moustache...

:-D

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

Rayraz ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2011 at 12:39 PM

@Gog, I'm glad my girlfriend doesnt have a moustache :P I wish she came with realtime-adjustable lensflares though.... hahaha

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

Gog ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2011 at 4:07 AM

@Rayraz, I didn't specify who needed the moustache :-D

----------

Rayraz ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2011 at 5:55 AM · edited Wed, 04 May 2011 at 5:59 AM

Moustache.. I haz it!

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

bobbystahr ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2011 at 8:27 AM

And a very cool beard..never let mine do the Z Z Top thing myself....apparently my eye brows are scary enuff..LOL.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

UVDan ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2011 at 2:47 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote - Okay, so this is not really brycian.. but when i think of cool lense flares.. i cant help but think of this little gem:

http://www.videocopilot.net/products/opticalflares/

Its sooo friggin sweeeet, my inner lensflare geek just cant resist it.. lol

Wow those are some pricey lens flares!

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

UVDan ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2011 at 2:52 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote -
Moustache.. I haz it!

OMG!  You have crossed over to the dark side.  Welcome home we are glad to have you.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

Rayraz ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2011 at 4:06 AM

Quote - Wow those are some pricey lens flares!

Well its not just a few preset static lensflares, its an entire "make your own photoreal lensflares"-kit with flares that integrate with light sources in 3d space, including occlusion by other objects and picking up coloration from the lightsources they're associated with. Its pretty spiffy.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

Rayraz ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2011 at 4:07 AM

Quote - OMG!  You have crossed over to the dark side.  Welcome home we are glad to have you.

Where are the cookies?

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

Rayraz ( ) posted Tue, 17 May 2011 at 4:38 AM

Mods, Could someone remove the spammer please?

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

bobbystahr ( ) posted Tue, 17 May 2011 at 7:46 AM

All right already RR...I'm going as fast as I can...LOL.. ...thy did a number of threads in Bryce and who knows whatever other forums I don't see. All on replies and never a new thread. Guess they're hoping we can't delete from the middle of a thread but they are mistaken

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Rayraz ( ) posted Tue, 17 May 2011 at 8:28 AM

Thnx for removin the spam bobby :)

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

SteveJax ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2011 at 7:52 PM

Quote - Yup, and I quote from DAZ "Lens Flare - Often, powerful light sources such as the sun will interact with the camera lens or human cornea resulting in a Flaring Effect. Bryce 7 provides an elegant means of producing Lens Flares that will make your distant sunlight and other light effects look better than ever."

It says it right in the specs, so it must be true.   Where we used to have Surface and Volume under the light settings, we now have Flare too.

I need to crack open my copy of Bryce 7 Pro more often! :blink:

Death_at_Midnight ( ) posted Mon, 30 May 2011 at 12:19 PM

Yay! I got the len flare directory! Took a while to find it b/c I don't have a standard Bryce install.

dyret ( ) posted Mon, 30 May 2011 at 2:05 PM

rashad Carter have a method for using flares in b7 over at the DAZ forum. Should be a bit down on the first page, or maybe on the second. He's usually quite good at the things he do

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.