Sun, Oct 6, 3:08 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Renderosity Wiki will not be returning

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 3:04 PM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 11:36 PM

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2831996

For some reason Renderosity decided to remove the Wiki page.

The Wiki is still on the net and can be accessed if you already know the link, but Renderosity isn't going to be providing a link on their site to it.

I'm not sure of the reasoning behind that. It's not hard to make a hyperlink!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/rrwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

SteveJax ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 3:11 PM

That's just sad! Antonia's Wiki page was being kept there!

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 3:38 PM

Terrific. I spent a lot of time on the damn thing. Why offer it to begin with then?

Laurie

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 4:25 PM

Really? No joking? Seriously? I'm being quiet, while I ponder whether this is real or not.

Because if it's real, I'm going to over-react a bit, so I want to make sure it is justified.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

SteveJax ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 4:48 PM

Quote - Really? No joking? Seriously? I'm being quiet, while I ponder whether this is real or not.

Because if it's real, I'm going to over-react a bit, so I want to make sure it is justified.

You?!? Over-react?!? Never!!!

nruddock ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 4:53 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3825602&ebot_calc_page#message_3825602

> Quote - Really? No joking? Seriously? I'm being quiet, while I ponder whether this is real or not. Because if it's real, I'm going to over-react a bit, so I want to make sure it is justified.

Seems pretty clear what it's fate is going to be.  

As they disappeared it once already without a mention, I guess they aren't intending to keep it around overly long.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 4:59 PM · edited Wed, 03 August 2011 at 5:00 PM

Quote - Really? No joking? Seriously? I'm being quiet, while I ponder whether this is real or not.

You may as well have at, cause they are NOT bringing it back. I have it on good authority. Maybe you can say it better and louder than I'm able to ;). I'm quite pissed about it.

Laurie

lesbentley ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 5:35 PM · edited Wed, 03 August 2011 at 5:40 PM

It's hard to believe that Renderosity is delivering this slap in the face to all those who have contributed to the Wiki.

The Wiki was a great idea. But now we have been lead up the garden path, encouraged to to spend time and effort on something that enhances Renderosity, only to have our work flushed down the lavatory!

:cursing:

** STEAM COMING OUT OF BOTH EARS**

3dvice ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 5:40 PM

That's really a slap in the face to all who contributed to the Wiki! 

Le cinéma substitue à notre regard un monde qui s'accorde à nos désirs. - André Bazin

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 5:52 PM

Well well. I have much to say but won't say it. I have posted so much info on this site and the Wiki was a welcome way of me not having to point to it all myself over and over.

Not interested in links to my posts, are we? I see.

Maybe I take my traffic elsewhere.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 6:04 PM

I'm trying to be diplomatic and seeing their viewpoint about this, but failing miserably only just because they haven't really expressed any reason why they feel flushing our work down the gurgler is actually okay to do. They haven't said anything but: "the Wiki won't be returning." This seems disrespectful of their users and contributors.

Well, it does, to me, anyway. :blink:

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

Willber ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 9:13 PM

I believe the issue is that spending time on the WIKI is not spending time at Renderosity..... it's diverting traffic and hang time from this site.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 9:22 PM · edited Wed, 03 August 2011 at 9:23 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Bullshit. The hundreds of threads I wrote in, and linked from the Shader wiki page, kept people reading here (and seeing ads) for HOURS and HOURS.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 9:26 PM · edited Wed, 03 August 2011 at 9:27 PM

Also if they had any smarts, they'd just put the banner ad at the top of the wiki page formatter. It's not rocket science.

Willber ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 9:43 PM

Well there must be a good buisness reason not to support the WIKI... this just doesn't make sense.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 9:45 PM

Poser needs official wiki.  The manual is only so so and it really doesn't get to the in depth information that some subjects need.

How are people supposed to know that white times white equals white instead of white squared or why red times blue eqauls black instead of purple?  When are we supposed to use bias as opposed to gain?  Why do I have to use both specular and diffuse, isn't one good enough?  What's a good starting point for render settings?  Dynamic cloth settings?  Lighting?  Why does my donut look like metal and my metal look like a donut?

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 11:23 PM

they may need to sell said asset in these difficult economic conditions.  or, if copyright issues involved, they sell the method and means of organising said info, then sell the method, not the info, which would belong to the contributors.  I ain't a lawyer.

KimberlyC ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 11:29 PM

If you all wish I will be happy to add the link to the top header of the forum or make a sticky of the link.

Before anyone ask, I'm unsure why the wiki is not going to be supported I have not been told.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 12:29 AM · edited Thu, 04 August 2011 at 12:29 AM

Quote - If you all wish I will be happy to add the link to the top header of the forum or make a sticky of the link.

That would be real nice ;) Top header of the Poser Forum is nice, but what about others?

Laurie

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 12:50 AM

This is not good. But it can be fixed. I hope whoever made this decision sees sense.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 1:13 AM

I wasn't concerned about the link. I was concerned about the data disappearing.

Kristi said:

Quote - We are currently looking into making the Wiki available if somebody else would like to host it.

That implies it will not be available, hosted here, at some point. The link will stop working because it won't be hosted anymore.

Now if they're just planning to not publish the link, but it's still hosted, then why mention "somebody else would like to host it"?

Somebody else asked for clarification and it was not given.

Is the link gone? Who cares. Is the Wiki itself going away? Then that's a problem and placing links will do nothing to fix it.

stepson ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 2:23 AM

Any guess as to how much disk space and bandwidth it would take to host it?

Life is hard, but what a ride.

dphoadley ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 2:30 AM

Renderosity had a Wiki?  Since when?

dph

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

nruddock ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 3:19 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/the-renderosity-wiki-is-now-online-cms-14955

> Quote - Renderosity had a Wiki?  Since when?

Since Feb 2010 based on the linked FP article.

dphoadley ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 3:29 AM

Quote - > Quote - Renderosity had a Wiki?  Since when?

Since Feb 2010 based on the linked FP article.

Well, the only Wiki I've ever seen is called Pedia.

dph

vilters ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 4:23 AM

Another bad policy move.
A  good Wiki is one of the best ways to get traffic.

Together with good tutorials, it is a magnet to traffic, certainly for an app like Poser, where the manual does not say it all.

Hours and hours of time and work will get lost, and this is indeed a lack of respect to those who invested their own time into getting the Wiki set up and read.

Very bad policy Rendo.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 4:41 AM

Quote -
Hours and hours of time and work will get lost, and this is indeed a lack of respect to those who invested their own time into getting the Wiki set up and read.

Exactly. It's member driven, not company driven, which I think might be the whole problem. Renderosity has been tightening their control of the content on their website, and since the Wiki is an off site feature, they don't have a moderator keeping tabs on it for content.

That's just my guess seeing how easy it is to create a hyperlink in a menu. So IMHO there has to be another reason behind their decision to no longer link to it.  Whether it will be deleted entirely, I don't know. All we have is what Kristi said in her post in the CC forum.

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 8:47 AM

"Renderosity had a Wiki?  Since when?

dph"

Ok perhaps there IS hope for world peace.
David P hoadley and Wolf359 read the same thread

and had the EXACT same reaction.

Wiki??

My website

YouTube Channel

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 10:25 AM

there are a few hosts for free wikis such as wikispaces, wikidot and maybe even google sites.

Hopefully rendo would make the data available to move it to a new home.

Perhaps Daz could be convinced to host it ? or smith micro ?

dphoadley ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 10:52 AM

Quote - "Renderosity had a Wiki?  Since when?

dph"

Ok perhaps there IS hope for world peace.
David P hoadley and Wolf359 read the same thread

and had the EXACT same reaction.

Wiki??

And I still say that the only one I've ever heard of has Pedia as the 2nd half of its name!

dph

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 11:11 AM · edited Fri, 05 August 2011 at 12:09 AM

David,

Wikipedia is the most famous example of a wiki, but it is by no means the only wiki.

Ironically you should look up wiki at Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

Quote - A wiki (Listeni/ˈwɪki/ wik-ee) is a website that allows the creation and editing of any number of interlinked web pages via a web browser using a simplified markup language or a WYSIWYG text editor.[1][2][3] Wikis are typically powered by wiki software and are often used collaboratively by multiple users. Examples include community websites, corporate intranets, knowledge management systems, and note services. The software can also be used for personal notetaking.

Wikis serve different purposes. Some permit control over different functions (levels of access). For example editing rights may permit changing, adding or removing material. Others may permit access without enforcing access control. Other rules can be imposed for organizing content.

Ward Cunningham, the developer of the first wiki software, WikiWikiWeb, originally described it as "the simplest online database that could possibly work."[4] "Wiki" (pronounced [ˈwiti] or [ˈviti]) is a Hawaiian word meaning "fast" or "quick".[5]

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 11:21 AM · edited Thu, 04 August 2011 at 11:21 AM

http://www.wikispaces.com/content/wiki

This is free wiki hosting. Maybe I move my shit there and just stay there.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 11:24 AM · edited Thu, 04 August 2011 at 11:25 AM

Quote - http://www.wikispaces.com/content/wiki

Sounds good I'm really mad that I wasted my time on it, as have others.

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 11:50 AM

Theres a lot of wikis. The wiki software makes fixing damage fairly easy as well as simple links between articles so if the editors add the links finding stuff is also fairly simple.

I can understand Rendo deciding not to host it. It might be a bandwidth hog and with the forums and galleries they also provide there must be a limit to what the store sales can support, it does after all come out of profits.

Hopefully someone in management will see this thread and comment.

ypvs ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 12:12 PM

It seems that a lot of bad feeling has been caused by Renderosity NOT giving a reason. If they would give the economic or legal factors that made them reach this decision then at least we could understand why, even if we're not happy about it.

Poser 11 , 180Gb in 8 Runtimes, PaintShop Pro 9
Windows 7 64 bit, Avast AV, Comodo Firewall
Intel Q9550 Quad Core cpu,  16Gb RAM, 250Gb + 250Gb +160Gb HD, GeForce GTX 1060

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 12:40 PM

Stacey clarified the reasoning in the CC forum thread.  Here is what she said.  As of August 23, 2011, the Wiki will be entirely deleted:

Quote - We are cleaning up some areas on the site that do not get much if any use and it appeared the wiki really wasn't being added to or utilized much at all over the past 6 months or so.  There are only 2 or 3 pages that really got any focus at all with adding/editing/linking, other than that nothing has really been touched all year. It just didn't achieve the desired results that was our intended goal with bringing on the wiki.

Sometimes when a site gets too much on it, it becomes a little overwhelming for folks and if there are areas that aren't really being utilized much or producing the desired effect then those are the places we were focusing on.

You can still access it via the link Kristi gave and if anyone wants to gather the information off of it to use I would suggest doing that as we will be taking it completely down on August 23rd

vilters ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 1:04 PM

What if we just ALL left, and went over to "the next best site".

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

basicwiz ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 1:25 PM

The trouble will be agreeing on which site is "next best."

BTW... I have tons of disk space and traffic allocation left over in my hosting account. What would be involved in hosting the wiki (I've never seen the software anywhere.) If it can be managed given my knowlege level or lack thereof, I will gladly volunteer to host it.

Can anyone with backroom knowlege help me here?

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 1:32 PM

Quote - http://www.wikispaces.com/content/wiki

I just got one there to at least preserve the Pose2Lux stuff ;).

Laurie

basicwiz ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 1:42 PM

I just checked.

I can host one using the following softwares:

Mediawiki

PMWiki

Tikiwiki

or Wikkawiki

LauriA...

Is wikispace a better option than us having a dedicated one? If so, why could everything not be transfered to the one you've just created?

I repeat my offer to host if that is the best option, but I certainly am not campaigning.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 2:30 PM · edited Thu, 04 August 2011 at 2:31 PM

Well I just don't wanna lose the work I did on it. I couldn't care less what happens to it after that now.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 5:38 PM

Sheesh, is this ever a case of Rendo shooting itself in the proverbial foot. They seriously don't seem to care - they keep the useless tutorial pages (which are not editable and hence suffer almost immediately from obsolesence) and remove the one means of keeping information about Poser centralised and refreshable. The marketplace looks exactly the same year after year, and now information-sharing is going back to quill-and-parchment.

<>

Oh, do I need to install some wiki software on pose2lux? Trying to remember whether that's already on there - I know we have Drupal "books" or "story" or whatever it's called, which are editable...

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

WandW ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 6:09 PM

Quote - I repeat my offer to host if that is the best option, but I certainly am not campaigning.

Would it be possible to mirror it  between your site and one of the free sites?  That way if (heaven forbid!) something should happen to one or the other, it would be preserved..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 6:30 PM

Quote - Sheesh, is this ever a case of Rendo shooting itself in the proverbial foot. They seriously don't seem to care - they keep the useless tutorial pages (which are not editable and hence suffer almost immediately from obsolesence) and remove the one means of keeping information about Poser centralised and refreshable. The marketplace looks exactly the same year after year, and now information-sharing is going back to quill-and-parchment.

<>

Oh, do I need to install some wiki software on pose2lux? Trying to remember whether that's already on there - I know we have Drupal "books" or "story" or whatever it's called, which are editable...

I already started a Pose2Lux Wiki on Wikispaces :P  http://pose2lux.wikispaces.com/

Laurie

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 6:51 PM

Bagoas has started a Poser Content Wiki and is seeking permission from people to migrate the Renderosity Wiki pages over to it. 

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2831996&page=2#message_3826154

So if you want the content that you submitted moved over, please post in the above linked thread and let him know.

SteveJax ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 7:42 PM

Quote - Bagoas has started a Poser Content Wiki and is seeking permission from people to migrate the Renderosity Wiki pages over to it. 

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2831996&page=2#message_3826154

So if you want the content that you submitted moved over, please post in the above linked thread and let him know.

I've moved my contributions to the Poser Wiki over there. Thanks for the link. Now, could we possibly get the Poser Forum mod's to add a link to the Poser Content Wiki to our forum header here?

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 10:18 PM · edited Thu, 04 August 2011 at 11:44 PM

Go elsewhere spammer jackass.

** Edited Spam quote from thread - KimberlyC **

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 10:23 PM

This "person" has been busy with over 300 identical spam posts on his first Day here
hopefully a Mod will  ban his account in short order.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

Latexluv ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 10:24 PM · edited Thu, 04 August 2011 at 11:43 PM

I reported this spam attack. It seems to have hit more than just the Poser forum. We have to wait for an admin to remove the posts. Don't click any of the links in the spam note, there is the potential for damage here.

***Edited spam thread from this post  - KimberlyC ***

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 11:19 PM · edited Thu, 04 August 2011 at 11:20 PM

Hahah. You guys quoted the spammer and now his posts are not deleted after all. Don't quote spam. grin The mods are always on top of these things quickly.

Really it's too deliciously funny. Don't click these links that I preserved forever. Hahaha.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2011 at 11:30 PM

Yeah, I guess I didn't think that one thru, did I? lol

Laurie

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.