Sat, Aug 3, 10:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 03 7:14 am)

Subject: Am I right in thinking

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Mon, 15 August 2011 at 10:35 AM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 8:55 AM

That Poser Pro 2012 can handle clothes with or without the traditional poly groups.

If so this is marvelous news for Dynamic Cloth fans, as conforming clothes will come in one main piece (with seperate details), making the conversion process much easier :)

John

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

lesbentley ( ) posted Mon, 15 August 2011 at 11:18 AM

I read the title of this thread "Am I right in thinking", and was going to advise against it, as thinking usually gives me a head ache. :blink:

I don't know the answer to the rest of the question.

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Mon, 15 August 2011 at 12:34 PM

Quote - I read the title of this thread "Am I right in thinking", and was going to advise against it, as thinking usually gives me a head ache. :blink:

I don't know the answer to the rest of the question.

Normally I'd take your advice, because it hurts, but sometimes it's necessary :)

Ian Porter ( ) posted Mon, 15 August 2011 at 3:27 PM

John,

I think this is possible. There is a thread at RDNA about converting pants for Brad by Phantom3D which would be worth looking at.

I don't know if you 'have to' weld a mesh for Poser Pro 2012 to convert it to weight mapping. I guess that would destroy any morph targets. Going the opposite way it sounds like converting a dynamic outfit to weight mapped conforming would be very easy though. Run it through the cloth room as a single mesh, and then apply weight mapping.

Cheers

Ian

ps. Your Digital Tailor videos are excellent.

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Mon, 15 August 2011 at 3:36 PM

Quote - John,

I think this is possible. There is a thread at RDNA about converting pants for Brad by Phantom3D which would be worth looking at.

I don't know if you 'have to' weld a mesh for Poser Pro 2012 to convert it to weight mapping. I guess that would destroy any morph targets. Going the opposite way it sounds like converting a dynamic outfit to weight mapped conforming would be very easy though. Run it through the cloth room as a single mesh, and then apply weight mapping.

Cheers

Ian

ps. Your Digital Tailor videos are excellent.

Hi Ian

I think 2012 can either use a grouped mesh or welded single mesh.  I have not even thought of the implecations of a weight mapped mesh in the cloth room :) if there are any.

It just occurred to me that converting conformed clothing made with a single ungrouped mesh could have real advantages for the fans of the cloth room :)

John

PS too kind :) hope you are having fun with them :)

joequick ( ) posted Mon, 15 August 2011 at 4:03 PM

The cct tools in ds4 are running very similar technology. You just import your mesh and it transfers the weight map so that it conforms. Ds4 cct also allows you to specify things like glove, dress, bodysuit. I don't know if Pro has at level of versatility.

@Daz3d
@ShareCG

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 15 August 2011 at 4:05 PM

Quote - That Poser Pro 2012 can handle clothes with or without the traditional poly groups.

They can be done without, but there are several advantages to sticking with groups (restricting influence of tools, selecting body parts, hiding body parts) and really only one disadvantage (loading morph targets from outside).

Quote - If so this is marvelous news for Dynamic Cloth fans, as conforming clothes will come in one main piece (with seperate details), making the conversion process much easier :)

You could work around this right now by just welding the seams with tools inside Poser, e.g. import the OBJ and check "Weld Identical Vertices".

My Freebies

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Mon, 15 August 2011 at 4:36 PM

The folks over at RDNA forums are saying that it's correct, yes, weight-mapping can be done over a single-grouped mesh.

BUT I don't think everyone will make that always. And I doubt that this can hope to become standard anytime soon. I mean, a lot of people are still stuck at Poser4-compatible content.

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Mon, 15 August 2011 at 5:04 PM

Quote - That Poser Pro 2012 can handle clothes with or without the traditional poly groups. If so this is marvelous news for Dynamic Cloth fans, as conforming clothes will come in one main piece (with seperate details), making the conversion process much easier :)

John

I've been trying to convert conforming cloth to dynamic: the primary obstacle I've run into is that by design a given area's vertices don't share a close-enough common space with another area's vertices to where you could "weld" the entire garment together easily, so taking it into the cloth room is an exercise in futility as you watch the thing fall apart. But I seem to be missing something, by your remarks.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 15 August 2011 at 5:27 PM

Good point, there's two aspects to making a conforming garment into dynamic - the body part borders, and parts of the model that are just not intended for use as dynamic.  The latter won't be affected by whether the model is grouped or not, but you can address those with features already in Cloth Room like constrained groups, or decoration groups.

My Freebies

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 15 August 2011 at 6:21 PM · edited Mon, 15 August 2011 at 6:22 PM

yep, the room here is lying full of fallen off digitally buttons ///// 8-)
Who has a digital vacuum cleaner?

the glue? texture and displacement maps.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.