Thu, Sep 19, 3:04 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 2:39 pm)

Subject: P9 SR2 - Not able to use F-keys in shortcuts anymore?

Ometeotl ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2012 at 5:59 AM · edited Wed, 11 September 2024 at 6:40 AM

Hello everybody,

I just installed the SR2 and adjusted the shortcuts (Poser.xrc) to my preferences.

Most of them work fine, but the ones with F-keys in them (e.g. F1, Ctrl+F5) don't.

They are displayed in P9, but when I hit the button - nothing happens.

Is anyone else experience this problem? And is this a bug or a feature?

Confused greetings,

Ome

Medzinatar ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2012 at 1:06 PM

I have PP2012 with both 32 and 64 bit versions installed.
I updated the 64 bit version and left 32 bit as is.
Function keys still operate in 32 bit under SR1, but not under SR2 with the 64 bit.

ssgbryan ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2012 at 1:11 PM

Quote - Hello everybody,

I just installed the SR2 and adjusted the shortcuts (Poser.xrc) to my preferences.

Most of them work fine, but the ones with F-keys in them (e.g. F1, Ctrl+F5) don't.

They are displayed in P9, but when I hit the button - nothing happens.

Is anyone else experience this problem? And is this a bug or a feature?

Confused greetings,

Ome

You did submit a bug report to SM, right?

Medzinatar ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2012 at 3:51 PM

The answer I get from Smith Micro is that this is now considered an unsupported use.

They change the Bug report to a "feature request"

Case closed.

thinkcooper ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2012 at 4:36 PM

Quote - They change the Bug report to a "feature request"

...and that means it's on the product manager's radar. :-)

Steve Cooper
Poser Product Manager

Ometeotl ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2012 at 4:45 AM

Thank you for the info, Medzinatar.

Although I got really angry when I read about the "unsupported use", and de-installed the SR2 immediately.

The function keys are the only ones that can be used solo, and excluding them seems to be kind of ... not very user-friendly.

So I really hope they will be back in Poser soon.

All the best and happy rendering,

Ome

SteveJax ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2012 at 4:14 PM

I have been using Poser since version 4 and never had any need for Function Key shortcuts. They don't even exist in my copies of Poser.xrc. Where did you get a Poser.xrc that had them in it is what I'd like to know.

Ometeotl ( ) posted Sun, 15 April 2012 at 5:55 AM

Hi Steve,

It's really simple: Just open the Poser.xrc with an editor (e.g. Notepad++) and change the according entries. As an example, for the Main Camera I replaced "Ctrl+M" with "F1", the Aux-Cam is on F2, Posing, Face and Hand-Cams are on F5, F6, F7 and so on.

It's IMO a very convenient way to switch between views and makes poseing etc very easy.

SteveJax ( ) posted Sun, 15 April 2012 at 2:11 PM

So in otherwords it's a hack that's not supported. Thanks Ometeotl.

lesbentley ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2012 at 1:35 PM

Quote - So in otherwords it's a hack that's not supported. Thanks Ometeotl.

It may be an "unsupported" hack, but as is is a very useful hack that was de facto supported by the software before SR2. It would seem very stupid if they did not go all out to fix this for the next service release. After all, it's probably a very minor issue in terms of coding, and the time needed to fix it.

There has been no shortage of unsupported hacks over the years. Some of them have become major supported features in later versions. "Unsupported" in this context just means "it's not in the manual, or advertising, so we can't be bothered to fix it".

Lest this seems like all condemnation and no praise, let me say that in general SR2 fixes a lot of issues, some of them very important to me. For example PP2012 used add corrupt data to group names when spawning  props from the Grouping Tool. That has now been fixed. In general, from what I have seen so far, SR2 seems to be an excellent piece of work, but that does not mean that it's beyond criticism in every aspect.

Medzinatar ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2012 at 12:27 AM

I have just installed SR 2.1 and the function keys now again work in shortcuts.

The SR overwrites previous version of Poser.xrc, so you will have to add any customization previously done.

My installation is English Language version, so I do not know if functionality was restored in other language versions.

SteveJax ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2012 at 3:49 AM

Quote - I have just installed SR 2.1 and the function keys now again work in shortcuts.

The SR overwrites previous version of Poser.xrc, so you will have to add any customization previously done.

My installation is English Language version, so I do not know if functionality was restored in other language versions.

Not if you tell it to use existing preference files when you install it it doesn't!

Ometeotl ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2012 at 6:31 AM

Quote - I have just installed SR 2.1 and the function keys now again work in shortcuts.

Cooool! Thank you for this info, Medzinatar

Medzinatar ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2012 at 10:20 AM

Quote - Not if you tell it to use existing preference files when you install it it doesn't!

As usual, you run mouth without knowing fact.

Poser.xrc is not a preference file so it get overwritten regardless.

I have no idea why you want to play the troll for this thread.

SteveJax ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2012 at 4:28 PM

Being wrong doesn't make me a troll. Thanks for the personal attack! You've been reported to the mods!

Medzinatar ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2012 at 4:57 PM

Quote - Being wrong doesn't make me a troll. Thanks for the personal attack! You've been reported to the mods!

maybe you can tell your mommy too!

KimberlyC ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2012 at 11:41 PM

Guys.. enough. If you have a problem with another member please leave it out of the forum.  If this keeps on, a warning will be given to both of you.

Thank you

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.