Mon, Sep 23, 1:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 10:18 pm)

Subject: 2 questions about skin shaders

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2012 at 7:45 PM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 2:53 PM

1 - Some skin shaders look roughly the same rendered or not, while others not at all.

Before render,  they look like some kind of weird shiny plastic, making it very difficult to guess how the light set is going to work and how the render is going to look like.

Why is that so?

2 - I just got a new character for V4 that has 2 set of shaders, a standard one and one for Poser Peo 2012 using SUBSURFACE SCATTERING.

It's quite difficult to appreciate the differences on the promo pics.

What is it, how does it work and is it worthwhile?

Thanks 

dlfurman ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2012 at 9:52 PM

The cool thing about Poser is you get to play.

Set up 2 characters, load the two skins, render and see what you get.

PLAY!

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

meatSim ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2012 at 10:04 PM
  1. well your preview window is just that.. preview.. if the shader is very basic and doesnt use much in the way of posers features. it will look pretty similar once rendered... This is a bad thing unless you want your renders to look like poser 5 or DS renders.  Those funky looking ones in the preview window will often render out much better as long as you set up your lighting and settings correctly.  Sub surface scattering, IDL and GC in PP2012 make for some fantastic renders.

1.  SSS shaders can be very worth it, though I cant comment on specific packages.  SSS is basically the scattering of light withing the surface of an object.  How it works in poser? ...  math math math AWESOME!!!   that is to say.. I dont know exactly but it does!

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2012 at 10:07 PM

Oh, I do play alright! ;-)

I don't have PP2012 and the newer shader looks weird in PP2010 

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2012 at 10:39 PM

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2012 at 10:41 PM

Then the Sub Scatter is useless to you; PP2010 does not have the features to utility those extra nodes.  However, Bagginsbill's VSSPR3 Prop skin shader template fakes SSS in those versions prior to P9/PP2012.  Highly recommend it if you are interested in attaining realism.

ToxicWolf ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2012 at 10:28 AM

The shiny look to the skin is probably caused by a "glossy" node or some other Lighting node. It only looks that way in the preview. You can look in the material room to check it out.

Poser Pro 2012 SR3

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Intel Core I7 990x 3.46G 6 core

24G RAM

EVGA GTX580 R Video Card

Single HP LP2475 1920x1200 monitor

http://www.toxicwolf.com

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2012 at 1:54 PM

Thanks to you all for your helpful answers.

@Toxicwolf: I've realised it looks alright once rendered although a little shine sometimes subsists on the render. I don't know much about shaders, i must say it's rather hard to understand how it works.

I have 2 characters, one "normal" one shiny, both look fantastic (i don't know if I can mention the vendors)

Rendering of the shiny one takes much much longer (I'd say 4 to 6 times) even on PP2010, so without using the SSS.

Why is that so? 

cyberzen1 ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2012 at 9:35 AM · edited Thu, 26 April 2012 at 9:36 AM

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2323011

Have you tried Real Skin Shader python script by face off here at rendo? Personally, I think its bloody brilliant!!! My picture new beginnings was my first go with it!!!!

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2012 at 9:54 AM

The problem with Faceoff's Real Skin series, it is light dependent.  Change the lighting and you need to rerun the script.  Bagginsbill's VSSPR3 Prop overcomes that barrier and will give you acceptable skin quality under any variable light condition without needing to recalculate the script.  One time application, adjust lighting and render.

vilters ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2012 at 10:33 AM

file_480879.jpg

Try this setup.

Most skin shaders are WAY overdone, and / or require a specific Poser version.

Try this simple one, for all Poser versions, and it works pretty well in Poser9/PP2012 with the new SSS Wacro too.

The texture, a Blinn node and Granite for the bump map.
Forget all the rest. Study the settings and I use inches as Poser Units.

Remark for the texture image map filtering;
For older Poser versions use Quality : Crisp only exist in the Poser9/PP2012.

Happy Posering.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2012 at 2:44 PM

Thanks for your suggestions.

I tried Bagginsbill's VSS3 'cause I had it and knew how to use it.

Render times are back to "normal" and the images look great!

I'll give the other methods a try asap.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.