Tue, Oct 1, 5:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Morphing Props

Zaarin ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2012 at 5:10 PM

Quote - I don't even know how to choose anymore. There are just too many beautiful combinations.

Of course, the stain is a parameter so you don't have to stick with my presets. You can make an infinite number of variations yourself, too.

I want this. Like, in my house. Only replace the fixtures with brushed brass or wrought iron. O_O Note to self: dedicate entirety of now very limited budget to everything BB releases. 

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 1:13 PM

The Dressing Table is in the store now.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 1:18 PM
Online Now!

IN-CRE-DI-BLE!!!!!!!!!

jonnybode ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 1:46 PM · edited Tue, 22 May 2012 at 1:47 PM

"Meanwhile, I finally figured out a good UV mapping for taking flat-photo textures and wrapping around the ends, sides, and corners of the table so it looks good."

It sure does, Ive never used wooden tables (in 3d pictures) because all their borders looks so weird, your example is the first one ive seen that looks belivable.

Are you going to put that table of yours (with the mapping and shaders shown) up for sale?

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 2:10 PM

I am a little concerned about the new release. No where in the promo's do I see the squirrel that was present in past promo's. Was it killed or maimed in the making of this product? Perhaps or left homeless, due to all the wood shaders included? Is it just me or does the owl look well fed? Sure it's been said due to poser scale the community is small minded, and easily out raged, But Never did I hear, that Genesis had killed a rodent in it's making, and look at the hoopla that it caused.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 2:30 PM

Perhaps it's hiding in a drawer. Well, only one way to find out...

;-)

Zaarin ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 9:28 PM

Ou la la! Looks fantastic!

BTW, what materials am I missing out on in the movie set and car? The movie set I intend to buy anyway, but I have no use for the car unless it comes with awesome materials I must have. ;) I mean, I [i]know[/i] the materials that come with the car are awesome, but I have the BBGlossy shader...Are there any fancy materials I'm missing with the car set? 

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 11:14 PM · edited Tue, 22 May 2012 at 11:28 PM

The movie set has wet stone, puddled stone, wet wood, damp wood. The camera equipment black material is kind of unique - a bumpy black anodized (I think) metal. There's a pretty nice copper and brass on the lamps - using some of the techniques in my newest metal set, but not all. If you were of a mind to put 255, 215, 150 in there it would also make a great gold. Accurate chrome. Perfect thin glass in the lamp glass. The camera leather is new - not the same as the free BBLeather. The rubbery material for the power cords is new, and the rubber on the camera eye cup is really good - totally over the top work for such a small part. The paint on the poles is interesting. Glowing cloth on the diffuse lamps is interesting. There's no light bulb in there, but I made it look like there was. That set was hours and hours and hours of work.

On the car, the car paints are improved over anything I gave before, especially the candy apple red. (Although it is not the perfect one I have in the queue) The tricks I did with the headlamp glass are useful, to make lit versions as well as remove extraneous colors that were in the photo of the headlamp texture. It also has the thin glass shader.

The furniture has the new stained wood I mentioned earlier, which is incredibly useful. The colors were carefully chosen which takes hours of test rendering under many light conditions. You could make them yourself, but it's a lot of experimenting. That's why I'm making so many presets for the set. Chrome, brass, pewter, antique (aged) brass, and iron are important materials in that set. An accurate mirror material (no mirrors do not reflect 100%).

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 11:25 PM

Quote -

I am a little concerned about the new release. No where in the promo's do I see the squirrel that was present in past promo's. Was it killed or maimed in the making of this product? Perhaps or left homeless, due to all the wood shaders included? Is it just me or does the owl look well fed? Sure it's been said due to poser scale the community is small minded, and easily out raged, But Never did I hear, that Genesis had killed a rodent in it's making, and look at the hoopla that it caused.

LOL

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2012 at 11:26 PM

Quote - "Meanwhile, I finally figured out a good UV mapping for taking flat-photo textures and wrapping around the ends, sides, and corners of the table so it looks good."

It sure does, Ive never used wooden tables (in 3d pictures) because all their borders looks so weird, your example is the first one ive seen that looks belivable.

Are you going to put that table of yours (with the mapping and shaders shown) up for sale?

I will. I have some more work to do with that first, but I'm pretty happy with it.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 1:52 AM

Quote - Ou la la! Looks fantastic!

BTW, what materials am I missing out on in the movie set and car? The movie set I intend to buy anyway, but I have no use for the car unless it comes with awesome materials I must have. ;) I mean, I [i]know[/i] the materials that come with the car are awesome, but I have the BBGlossy shader...Are there any fancy materials I'm missing with the car set? 

I have to say I've used the car paints quite a lot recently. Yes, I've played with tweaking BBGlossy myself. But the last two renders I've done, I went for those car paint mats, out the box... good for shading both little robots and sci-fi beds, I've found... so thanks ;-)

The challenge I have now is to try mixing them with other stuff to get effects like mud-splattering or rust...

...this is no doubt, entirely beyond me...LOL.

So, just a hint there BB? ;-)

monkeycloud ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 3:50 AM

Also, good for shiny shoes, I've found...

I may be over-using them a bit currently.... LOL. But they just look so nice in a render :-)

Zaarin ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 9:26 AM

Quote - The movie set has wet stone, puddled stone, wet wood, damp wood. The camera equipment black material is kind of unique - a bumpy black anodized (I think) metal. There's a pretty nice copper and brass on the lamps - using some of the techniques in my newest metal set, but not all. If you were of a mind to put 255, 215, 150 in there it would also make a great gold. Accurate chrome. Perfect thin glass in the lamp glass. The camera leather is new - not the same as the free BBLeather. The rubbery material for the power cords is new, and the rubber on the camera eye cup is really good - totally over the top work for such a small part. The paint on the poles is interesting. Glowing cloth on the diffuse lamps is interesting. There's no light bulb in there, but I made it look like there was. That set was hours and hours and hours of work.

On the car, the car paints are improved over anything I gave before, especially the candy apple red. (Although it is not the perfect one I have in the queue) The tricks I did with the headlamp glass are useful, to make lit versions as well as remove extraneous colors that were in the photo of the headlamp texture. It also has the thin glass shader.

The furniture has the new stained wood I mentioned earlier, which is incredibly useful. The colors were carefully chosen which takes hours of test rendering under many light conditions. You could make them yourself, but it's a lot of experimenting. That's why I'm making so many presets for the set. Chrome, brass, pewter, antique (aged) brass, and iron are important materials in that set. An accurate mirror material (no mirrors do not reflect 100%).

Thanks. Sounds like I'm off to put the car in my cart as well, awaiting the day I have money for them all. ;) 

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 10:42 AM

Might want to wait on the car - new ones are coming. You might find a modern vehicle more useful. Colors will be different (I research the stock manufacturers colors and then add some of my own choices) but the actual shader will be the same.

ErickL88 ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 12:56 PM

Quote - The movie set has wet stone, puddled stone, wet wood, damp wood. The camera equipment black material is kind of unique - a bumpy black anodized (I think) metal. There's a pretty nice copper and brass on the lamps - using some of the techniques in my newest metal set, but not all. If you were of a mind to put 255, 215, 150 in there it would also make a great gold. Accurate chrome. Perfect thin glass in the lamp glass. The camera leather is new - not the same as the free BBLeather. The rubbery material for the power cords is new, and the rubber on the camera eye cup is really good - totally over the top work for such a small part. The paint on the poles is interesting. Glowing cloth on the diffuse lamps is interesting. There's no light bulb in there, but I made it look like there was. That set was hours and hours and hours of work.

I know, that this is not the right topic for this, but dang, I'm still blown away by this set. Soooo much stuff to discover. The modelling is excellent and the included materials are really pushing the envelope. If only I had more time play around with all the included and to render g

Zaarin ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2012 at 4:33 PM

Quote - Might want to wait on the car - new ones are coming. You might find a modern vehicle more useful. Colors will be different (I research the stock manufacturers colors and then add some of my own choices) but the actual shader will be the same.

Thanks, I'll probably do that then. ;) 

Zaarin ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2012 at 5:36 PM

Sorry to double post, but I just bought the car patio and the furniture set. Bagginsbill, I really must object to your using photographs as thumbnails on the furniture set--that's most unfair. :P

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2012 at 8:59 PM

Quote - Sorry to double post, but I just bought the car patio and the furniture set. Bagginsbill, I really must object to your using photographs as thumbnails on the furniture set--that's most unfair. :P

This made me actually laugh out loud. Thanks for that. And thanks for your business.

Zaarin ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2012 at 9:30 PM

Quote - > Quote - Sorry to double post, but I just bought the car patio and the furniture set. Bagginsbill, I really must object to your using photographs as thumbnails on the furniture set--that's most unfair. :P

This made me actually laugh out loud. Thanks for that. And thanks for your business.

My pleasure. I've certainly been benefiting from your knowledge and your free shaders for the last three or four years; I'm happy to give back. :)

Actually, my budget for Poser is becoming a little more limited than it has been as I approach graduate school and the student loans implicit therein, but I'll definitely be prioritizing what I have for your products, 'cause I know I'll be getting maximum bang for my buck there, not to mention adding a lot to the uses I can get from what I already have. :)

DreamlandModels ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2012 at 10:50 PM

Hi Zaarin,

If you knew just how many hours Mr. Bill and I put into these products you would know how happy I am to hear someone say that they feel like they are getting a lot of bang for their buck. So many people these days want a $100.00 bill for $10.00. You really do get what you pay for in most cases. 

Thank you as well for buying our products as this is my sole means for making a living. Just got too old for construction. 40 years of woodworking can really take it's toll.

Sorry I don't come in this forum that often, but after reading all these nice comments people are making about our stuff, I will be back more often, for sure.

:-)

Regards, DM

monkeycloud ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2012 at 4:59 PM

I'm looking forward already to seeing what's next from your and BB's collaboration Dreamland Tom... great work so far. Well worth every penny (or cent) ;-)

Meantime, I'm busy making some images from the releases to date...

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2012 at 5:21 PM

I am so going to blow all my cash on these things and anything else you guys cook up when I get the dough.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2012 at 6:47 PM

Love the comments - thanks you guys. And I love the sales - last two days were busy. Was it because of this thread?

Do you want to influence the second piece? I need ideas for the paint colors. Each piece will have black and white, but I need 5 more for each. The first set had baby pink and blue, and some very dark reds.

Got any pictures of your favorite furniture paint colors to show me? Of course you can make your own, but it's easier for you when I build the pre-set material collection that applies to all zones in one click - top, panels, drawers, and feet.

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2012 at 6:55 PM

I don't know if it will work with your idea, but neglected of any sort would be appreciated.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2012 at 7:03 PM · edited Fri, 25 May 2012 at 7:04 PM

Colours... maybe this sort of green would be good...as my suggestion?

But also, I would like to see some "distressed" look paint effects, on some of this stuff... if that's at all possible? (I appreciate maybe not at this stage)

Like this... is the sort of idea I have in mind:

Cheers ;-)

monkeycloud ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2012 at 7:05 PM · edited Fri, 25 May 2012 at 7:05 PM

Quote - I don't know if it will work with your idea, but neglected of any sort would be appreciated.

Crossposted there with the General... and we had the same idea I think!?

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2012 at 7:06 PM

Yep, you just expressed it better.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2012 at 7:43 PM

file_481685.jpg

Monkey Green - you got it.

The distressed stuff is coming later.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2012 at 7:45 PM

file_481686.jpg

Practicing distressed. No promises - this is a quick test.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2012 at 7:46 PM

file_481687.jpg

Or this.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2012 at 7:58 PM · edited Fri, 25 May 2012 at 7:59 PM

Phwoaarrrr!

Is about all I can say to those...

...and... oooh, very nice ;-)

Thumbs up on that distressed test from here...

monkeycloud ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2012 at 8:05 PM

That "Monkey Green" colour, painted onto furniture, reminds me of my earlier childhood...

...already I'm planning what scene I can render around it ;-)

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2012 at 8:07 PM

I like what your doing with both the distressed stuff. They both would come in handy. Making something look just slightly not perfect always has more appeal to me then perfect. Perfect is great for show rooms, but I don't render that.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2012 at 8:12 PM

Yep, definitely with you there General... some degraded options...

Also, on that theme...what would be great, on the next vehicle... or so, down the line... that you guys do, BB and Dreamland Tom, if possible, would be a rusted car paint shader... is that possible??

Could you have two or three grades of rusted even?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2012 at 8:20 PM

I had a rust shader in the Chevy but Tom said it was not good enough because it was too uniformly distributed. Rust needs to be controlled where it shows, otherwise it looks fake. So a generic shader driven by a control map would work, but you have to make a unique control map for each vehicle.

ssgbryan ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2012 at 8:44 PM

These are incredible!

I wondered what I would do with my DAZ money this month, Thanks!

moriador ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2012 at 7:09 AM

Quote - Love the comments - thanks you guys. And I love the sales - last two days were busy. Was it because of this thread?

Honest reviews drive sales.  I couldn't help buying the furniture and car patio.  You don't really realize how good a model is until the shaders are really great.

I look forward to the distressed furniture.

Soon we will need empty rooms (with plaster, drywall, and/or wainscoting) in which to put all of this furniture. ;)

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2012 at 7:20 AM · edited Sat, 26 May 2012 at 7:21 AM

The room you describe is already modeled. I have to do the materials. Thanks for your purchase.

moriador ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2012 at 8:04 AM

Quote - The room you describe is already modeled. I have to do the materials. Thanks for your purchase.

Excellent.  I am very pleased to hear it. You have already sold it and the upcoming car model. :)

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2012 at 8:38 AM

Quote - I had a rust shader in the Chevy but Tom said it was not good enough because it was too uniformly distributed. Rust needs to be controlled where it shows, otherwise it looks fake. So a generic shader driven by a control map would work, but you have to make a unique control map for each vehicle.

I kind of thought that would be the case... otherwise I guess you'd need to be able to tell a shader to treat different parts differently based on some sort of "physical" rules... rust, I guess, apart from around random chip spots on the main body (caused by small stones etc. being thrown up from the road) usually forms around lower, more exposed edges on a vehicle, facing the road surface... there's some sort of dynamics in there somewhere, probably...??? Maybe just orientation awareness, on a par with, for example, the Snow Machine script though?

Overall, it's maybe not disimilar to the issues around generating a full body's worth of convincing, procedural human skin I guess?

DreamlandModels ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2012 at 10:53 AM

The rooms are coming. But no promnise on the date.

One is in the pipeline as we speak. I am guessing around 1 or 2 weeks.

Just don't tell Ted I told you or he will scold me for spilling the beans.

Hey, wait a minute, I see he already did!

Well then I get to tell you it has a door. :-)

Tom

DreamlandModels ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2012 at 11:33 AM · edited Sat, 26 May 2012 at 11:42 AM

file_481700.jpg

The Long Dresser is now in the store.

Tom

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2012 at 12:19 PM

ROFL, and one soggy keyboard later, the promos kill me. I guess I have no choice but to add them to my runtime. Thanks guys.

DreamlandModels ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2012 at 12:55 PM

Thanks General! You are the first!

You get a cookie, well not really, as how would you download a cookie?

That would be absurd!  :-)

Tom

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2012 at 1:03 PM

I have a question though. The materials want to over right materials (I'm guessing from the last set) with the same name, are they really the same?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2012 at 1:16 PM

Yes - materials with the same name are the same.

We have quite a few materials, such as the hardware, that are published with every prop, because we don't know which one you will get first.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2012 at 1:18 PM

Also, the default wood, 1113, is going to be the same across the whole set. However, each prop will come with three others, times 7 stains = 21 new woods with each prop.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2012 at 1:20 PM

If it's suggestions for furniture you need, how about looking to more modern, Scandinavian designs.  I know a lot of people knock Ikea nowadays but their designs (and the originals they took 'em from) are, IMO, some of the best examples of "modern" furniture you could look for.

In any case, my own preference is for simple geometric lines.  I hate repro and "traditional" furniture with a passion, dislike brass fittings, finials, carved mouldings and anything of that sort. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2012 at 1:28 PM

I like Shaker.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2012 at 1:36 PM

Shaker or Scandinavian... both work for me.

But I like a bit of English Gothic Revivalist too, when it comes down to it ;-)

Especially if there's a Gargoyle or two involved... definitely if it's a genuine Victorian era antique...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.