Fri, Oct 4, 5:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 1:56 pm)

Subject: Installing content on a MacBooc Pro

dyret ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2012 at 7:00 AM · edited Sat, 28 September 2024 at 8:37 AM

Could somenone provide me with a safe process to installing zip on a Mac? It keeps overwriting files and does NOT behave like my Windows system used to do. LOL.

jestmart ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2012 at 2:34 PM

I am not a Mac guy, actually have an irrational hatred for the Apple company.  If your Mac is capable of running the latest OS that should fix the overwriting.

Xerxes0002 ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2012 at 2:51 PM

Not sure why its overwriting, normally when you double click on a zip file it opens it as if its a folder, allowing you to copy what you want where you do.  On windows I use a program called Total Commander and on Mac I use muCommander both are paneled based file management.  Here is a link to 5 alternates.  muCommander allows you to go in and out of zip/rar etc as if they are just folders.  Some of the others on the list do as well.  It has been awhile so some of the others may be nicer than mu Now why I included the list.

http://mac.appstorm.net/roundups/utilities-roundups/5-alternatives-to-the-os-x-finder/

Xfolders was out of date on there.

Xfolders: http://www.kai-heitkamp.de/cms_en/main.php?content=9&module=0

The Disk Order also looks interesting with its multiple tabs like TotalCommander has.

Hope these help.

dyret ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2012 at 3:23 PM

@Xerxes0002: Thank you for those links. I must admit the learnig curve coming from Windows to Lion have been really bad! And I really do NOT like finder. Half of the time I´m not able to find files wich I KNOW is on the disk for instance. LOL. On the overwriting: I´ve actually started a new work flow. On Windows you are able to unzip files directly into for instance the "Runtime" folder without overwriting the filles allready there. On a Mac that doesn´t seem to be possible.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2012 at 3:48 PM

I thought Lion had fixed the replace rather than merge behaviour of the Mac OS? A tool like 7Zip should allow you to extract and merge, and I think (test on a safe location) that I was told that copying, instead of dragging and dropping, would merge on Lion.

Xerxes0002 ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2012 at 5:23 PM

Ahh yeah I forgot about that, I used the other program like those listed or 7zip not even thinking about that find copy overwrite.  I think there is a way around but I can't think of it off the top of my head. 

Even for windows I never use the explorer for copying, moving, extracting.  I do everything in total commander.  I know so old school but its fast and I have all my tabs setup to where I normally go or bookmarked :)

dyret ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2012 at 3:36 AM

Lion dont´t fix overwrite. I´m not able to find 7-zip for mac. I really like the prog so thats a bid sad. lol

Razor42 ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2012 at 11:16 PM

Lion only fixed this in the aspect of copying a single folder and pasting it to a location where the folder name already exists. It doesn't appear to offer the merge option if the copied folder has folders enclosed within it.

So kind of useless in the case of merging MyLibrary Contents from a product zip.

I use a little freeware program called Macmerger

Macmerger

Just unzip the product to your desktop then run the Product "MyLibrary" folder into the source folder of macmerger and select your content "MyLibrary" folder as the destination and this will merge your new product into your library while retaining all of your current content.

I'd suggest backing up your Content Library before trying but it works for me like a charm.

dyret ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 2:59 AM

Thanx. But now I´ve sort of gotten addicted to allways KNOW where i place things. My runtime on the Mac is a lot cleaner beacuse of that than it ever was on my PC.

Razor42 ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 3:36 AM

Yeah I still install some stuff manually its good to know where its going. Just be careful as some Daz files are rather selective as to what is put where and may not load correctly if the File/folder content is modified from the setup in the product zip.

Xerxes0002 ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2012 at 1:05 PM

Which if any of the file commander type program did you settle on?

DemonicaEvilius ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2012 at 8:14 AM · edited Thu, 14 June 2012 at 8:24 AM

I use Stuffit's 'Destinations' bar and extract to the relevant folder (I had to turn on some options like dont use a containing folder etc)  ... this sorts it out :) I went almost 3 years manually placing things and I could have done that the whole time :P

Also I hear BetterZip does it well also ... but havent tried it (BetterZip being half the price, and offers a free trial so you could test it out and see if it is what you want :))

Stuffit Deluxe Link (not sure if the other versions behave the same):
http://store.smithmicro.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=13939

BetterZip Link:
http://macitbetter.com/

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.