Sun, Sep 15, 4:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: OT: New trends in English usage

tjohn ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2012 at 6:03 AM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 10:51 AM

Well just one actually, but I thought others here might have some more to add.

I've noticed something becoming more prevalent lately, online and in the real world - the phrase "Just sayin'".

It is being used to follow insulting remarks in order to take some of the "sting" out of what's being said. Examples:

I can't believe you'd say someething so stupid! ...Just sayin'.

That's the ugliest baby I've ever seen. ...Just sayin'.

Sometimes it seems to be used tongue-in-cheek, other times I'm not sure.

John

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

rstar ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2012 at 8:06 AM

Where I live, when I say "Hi" to males in a certain demographic, their sole reply is always a congenial... "Alright, now" - it literally is the lone first response I get when I speak to them.

Odd!

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2012 at 8:17 AM

I've noticed a lot that when people mean 'your' they actually type 'you' - but I'm not sure if that's some odd useage of language common to some strange country we may or may not have heard of, or just a constant typo, caused by pure laziness engendered by the net.

If this is a new trend in English useage then I'm leaving.

I dunno, cruelty to commas is one thing, and we are probably used to the desecration of apostrophes, especially that appertaining to the 'Grocer' - but now in any conversation - it's me they are targetting!

ROFL!

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

kiwi_gg ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2012 at 2:09 PM

Ever had a text message from a teen tht u hvnt hd 2 reed 3 tym 2 get it????

Cheers

GG

WHO said Kiwi's can't Fly ?????

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2012 at 4:38 AM · edited Wed, 05 September 2012 at 4:38 AM

Nope, but I've had some that I've never got - had to ring 'em up asking 'what the heck?'

Hardly anyone texts me anymore - thankfully.  te he he!

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

tjohn ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2012 at 5:44 AM

I went to my cell phone account and turned texting off. I told my nieces (the only ones doing it) "If you've got time to type you've got time to talk."

So now they call me, lol.

BTW (oops) is anyone besides me old enough to remember the "Speedwriting" ads from the 1960s? It was a course that was aimed at stenographers as an easier dictation method than "Shorthand". They advertised on matchbooks and in magazines and it went something like this:

If u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb wth bttr py.

Look familiar?

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2012 at 6:53 AM

Oh that's brilliant tjohn, so now I can call persistant texters - 'old fashioned' ROFLMAO

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

karl.garnham1 ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2012 at 11:02 AM

I See what you mean People only seem to say it so they can get away with being rude. Not  all from England are like that though I come from England and I hate Rude People I am a Bit Like Hannibal in that department But I don't Eat them. 

Karl

UVDan ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2012 at 2:42 AM
Forum Moderator

Let me axe you this.  Can you see what I am sayin'?

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 6:04 AM

The better spelling is actually "Just saiyan", because insults are even better when combined with a Dragonball Z pun!

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 6:14 AM

As far as text messages go. I'm starting to get the idea that the amount of mutilated words used by teens these days has a strong correlation with promiscuity and teen pregnancy.

That is, out of the various people I've talked to over the past few years, the ones that use excessive abbreviation of words such as in kiwi's example, more then half of them became pregnant by accident.

In contrast, out of the people I've talked to who type mostly normal, that percentage is so low, that I'd probably have to guesstimate it at 1% or less...

Scary thought isn't it?? 

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

tjohn ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 12:56 PM

@Rayraz:

Had to laugh at "pregnant by accident". It made me imagine someone saying, "Well, I was walking along minding my own business, tripped and fell on a guy and got pregnant by accident." 

😄

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 1:23 PM

Hahaha, i know, that's why i added the term promiscuity :P

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.