Wed, Sep 18, 11:42 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 12:29 pm)

Subject: Hair for Generation 4 Figures

Agent0013 ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2012 at 8:05 PM · edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 7:31 PM

I have the following DAZ figures for DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro:

1. Genesis - can be either gender, and has morphs to make it any age, size and shape;

2. Victoria 4.2 - female, and I have a few morphs for her that change her looks and some other aspects;

3. Michael 4 - Male, and a few morphs for changing his looks and some other aspects;

(Both of my Generation 4 figures have the Morphs ++ feature.)

4. Victoria 3 - for which I have the most morphs of any figure I have aside from the Genesis figure;

5. Aiko 3 LE - for which I have several morphs for various aspect changes, (pretty good);

6. Victoria 2 - Victoria 3 - which I may have some morphs for but I have not done much with her as she is not that good to use in closeup.

Now this is my dilemma; I have no hair that is specifically made for my Generation 4 figures. Michael 4 and Victoria 4.2 might as well be considered bald by certain standards. Virtually all the hair I have is made for the Generation 3 and Genesis figures (with the exception of my 3rd party figures, which have hair of their own). The Gen3 characters have the most, and Genesis has the hair that came with it, which is limited to 4 different styles. My Victoria 2 - 3 figure has no hair either, but I'm not that worried about that.

What I have been doing to have hair on my Gen 4 figures is to load Gen 3 hair and tweak it drastically to fit. Even so, When I have a set of settings I can live with for the current scene at hand, there are still one or more anomalies that I cannot remove with my admittedly limited skills.

I recently read an article, (I can't recall the website), that indicated that there is a solution to this problem that makes it possible to fit any hair made for any DAZ figure to any DAZ figure. (I hope I am being clear about this.) An example would be fitting Victoria 3 Elita hair to say Michael 4, just so you understand the extremes that might be possible with this. The problem is that the article says it can be done, but does not provide the "how". This would be some really valuable knowledge to have in my opinion. Might the solution be some type of converter that does this, or perhaps a plugin?

I have very limited funds at this time, so I have to do what I can with what I have or can get for free. I recently acquired a much better collection of clothing and props for Michael 4, as I had hardly any until a friend in this forum replied to one of my other threads and provided several links where I could find what I needed. (All of my female figures have tons of clothing.) I do have a few facial hair files for M4, but as for hair on his scalp, only the short butch he comes with is available. This hair does not even have other colors with it. It can be removed for a "SHINY DOME" look, but that is all.

I welcome any suggestions, advice, links for free hair for Gen 4 figures, or links to tutorials either in document or video form that anybody here can provide. Whatever gets posted here will be appreciated.

Stay awesome!

Agent 0013.

FSMCDesigns ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2012 at 8:35 PM

Might want to work on your fitting skills as most hair is easily fitted with the scale dails. There are a couple of hair utilities that make most hair fit other figures, but I don't own any (look for netherworks). You could also try the free files area here at rendo for some free hair. Male hair and especially facial hair are very hard to find. If using genesis as your figure, you can get most hair to fit with the autofit utility that comes with DS.

I know you say you are limited on funds, but the PA sale is going on at DAZ so you might want to keep an eye out as you can get some good deals on gen 4 hair.

Regards, Michael

My DeviantArt page

Paula Sanders ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2012 at 8:50 PM

There is free hair out there. google "daz V4 free hair" for example. I cannot think of sites since I am onmy iPad and do not have a list. But I have gotten free hair as well as bought hair.

PickledPapaya ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2012 at 10:54 PM
Agent0013 ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2012 at 11:05 PM

Quote - Might want to work on your fitting skills as most hair is easily fitted with the scale dails. There are a couple of hair utilities that make most hair fit other figures, but I don't own any (look for netherworks). You could also try the free files area here at rendo for some free hair. Male hair and especially facial hair are very hard to find. If using genesis as your figure, you can get most hair to fit with the autofit utility that comes with DS.

I know you say you are limited on funds, but the PA sale is going on at DAZ so you might want to keep an eye out as you can get some good deals on gen 4 hair.

As you are suggesting, my eye is on the store at DAZ 3D. I have an account there and I receive email from the site on a regular basis. You can bet when the opportunity arises for snatching up so hair for Gen 4 figures I'll do exactly that. 

I appreciate the heads up about netherworks. I'll do a search for that and see want is offered.

Stay awesome.

Agent 0013.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2012 at 11:08 PM

Quote - There is free hair out there. google "daz V4 free hair" for example. I cannot think of sites since I am onmy iPad and do not have a list. But I have gotten free hair as well as bought hair.

Thanks for your response. I'll do the search with your suggested search words and see what I can find.

Stay awesome!

Agent 0013.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2012 at 11:11 PM

Quote - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/447/

Thank you for this link. I'm on my way there to see what there is to see and learn.

Stay awesome!

Agent 0013.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2012 at 1:02 AM

Quote - > Quote - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/447/

Thank you for this link. I'm on my way there to see what there is to see and learn.

Stay awesome!

Agent 0013.

The link you provided has turned out to be the real gold mine for hair. I recommend that anybody reading this who is looking for hair for any figure Click on this link, and then click on as many links as you want from the long list you can find there. You will not be disappointed.   

When I put my own search in at Renderosity, or at ShareCG, for some reason they show hardly any hair, and there will only be textures and so forth for hair with a lot of unrelated stuff mixed in.

This link takes me to a place where there are literally hundreds of links available to explore. I found so much free hair for every imaginable figure, it is almost hard to choose among them all. There is even hair that fits M4, H4, V4, A4, and of all figures Apollo Maximus, all the same hair style! I even found hair for the Sixus1 figures. I'm like a kid in a candy store, and the clerk is telling me I can have all the candy I want for free. Totally awesome!

You get infinite thanks for this link!  I now have it bookmarked.

Stay awesome!

Agent 0013.

tparo ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2012 at 2:40 AM

The Daz freepositry Forum is a goldmine of freebies, there's more than just hair there.

PickledPapaya ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2012 at 6:56 AM

Quote - The link you provided has turned out to be the real gold mine for hair. I recommend that anybody reading this who is looking for hair for any figure Click on this link, and then click on as many links as you want from the long list you can find there. You will not be disappointed.  

Kerya has done a great job over the years keeping this data for us all!  It is a treasure trove for free 3d hair.  Glad you found what you needed!

Agent0013 ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2012 at 8:28 AM

Quote - > Quote - The link you provided has turned out to be the real gold mine for hair. I recommend that anybody reading this who is looking for hair for any figure Click on this link, and then click on as many links as you want from the long list you can find there. You will not be disappointed.  

Kerya has done a great job over the years keeping this data for us all!  It is a treasure trove for free 3d hair.  Glad you found what you needed!

These links this person provides also lead to other really great products, like wings for fairies to name one thing. There's a whole ocean of stuff at all those sites! I'll be visiting there for years to come.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2012 at 2:22 PM

Alright, I now have some great choices for hair in DAZ Studio. That is fantastic. I quite happy about that. Now I need fur textures for the Millennium Animals I recently downloaded, and a few morphs would be great as well. Here is a list of the DAZ Animals I have in my Content Library: Millennium Dog LE - has one texture for the red Doberman; Millennium Horse LE - might have one or two textures, but I'd love to have a larger variety to choose from; Millennium Cat LE - has no textures yet; Millennium Big Cat LE - Has the Lion textures for both male and female, although it would be cool to have other textures for different looks; Panther - has five textures including the no map, and like the Millennium Big Cat, I'd love to have more to choose from. I did a search at all the sites I could find, but was only able to find two or three good usable textures for any of my animals. I know there are some freebies available for these animals because I have seen them before. I just don't remember where they are or how to find them again. As the good folks here have already helped me tremendously with finding hair for my DAZ human figures, it makes sense to bring this request to you as well. As with the hair, any links, advice, etc. will be appreciated. I thank you all for what you have already provided. Stay awesome! Agent 0013.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2012 at 2:43 PM

Quote - Might want to work on your fitting skills as most hair is easily fitted with the scale dails. There are a couple of hair utilities that make most hair fit other figures, but I don't own any (look for netherworks). You could also try the free files area here at rendo for some free hair. Male hair and especially facial hair are very hard to find. If using genesis as your figure, you can get most hair to fit with the autofit utility that comes with DS.

As you suggested, I have been working on my fitting skills. Even so, certain hair products do not work on other figures very well even when tweaking the scaling. An example is the Elita Hair for V3, which does not want to fit and lay correctly on my other female figures, especially Aiko 3 LE with her larger head and breasts. Poke through is very hard to prevent even on V3 for which the product is made. I think the dynamic feature is not working like it should, which if I'm not mistaken, is supposed to have collision detection to prevent poke through. Of course there may be a need to turn that on, but how that is done is for the moment beyond me.

As a relative newbie there is still a lot I need to learn.

Stay awesome!

Agent 0013.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.