Mon, Sep 9, 8:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Old python scripts help

shedofjoy ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2013 at 5:19 PM · edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 2:18 AM

ok, i know this should be in the python forum,and i will be posting this there too.  My question to all you python gurus is, can someone make a python script that can take an older python script and update it so it then works with poser 2012? i have too many scripts that force me to fire up older versions of poser just to run them. very annoying, surely a script can be made to update other ones.

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

ockham ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2013 at 5:49 PM

That's an interesting idea.  There are two different types of problem. 

(1)  A script that is only available in a compiled .PYC form can't be converted at all; it has to be rewritten by its author and then recompiled. 

(2) A script that's written in .PY form (readable text) typically needs only a couple of predictable changes that I know of. 

col=

needs to be changed to

column=

and

raise "some message"

needs to become

raise Exception("some message").  

There are other differences between versions, but those are the ones that come up most often here.

I'll try writing a batch converter for those changes.  I've got quite a few scripts with the raise Exception() problem, so I can test it and solve my own problem at the same time.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

shedofjoy ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2013 at 7:35 PM

what is the benefit of pyc scripts over py?

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2013 at 7:49 PM

The pyc format is compiled, allowing distribution of a script in a form that can't be read/modified/swiped by the end user.  Some people like them.

Another big update issue is Numeric to Numpy conversion.  Generally, one can fix any issues in that area with a few simple, predictable tricks that might be scriptable.  Sometimes there's a more complex problem which may require human thought.  :unsure:

Tk for the current Poser Python also has a bug in askopenfilenames, which has required that I update a few scripts.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Wed, 03 April 2013 at 9:10 AM

thankyou for answering,i wondered why no one has made such a script to do this,shame,im sure alot of people would have found it usefull,and i certainly would have paid for one

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.