Thu, Sep 19, 9:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:32 am)

Subject: DS 4.6 Pro Is Slower Than Previous Versions

Disciple3d ( ) posted Tue, 18 June 2013 at 9:12 AM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 10:38 AM

I had stepped away from DS for a while in favor of the latest version of Poser. I'm noticing my renders with 4.6 Pro routinely taking 4 and 5 times as long as the same scene in Poser. I'm wondering if there's some obvious step in the render setup I'm missing which is causing this. Has anyone else been experiencing extremely long render times?

If you want to up your content game, get schooled to be a pro with Sixus1 Mentoring today!

Medzinatar ( ) posted Tue, 18 June 2013 at 1:13 PM

Must be just you, I'm having no problems and haven't heard from anybody else having problem with renders.

Disciple3d ( ) posted Tue, 18 June 2013 at 1:20 PM

Well, the program is running perfectly fine. Smooth in fact. Just when even a single character is rendered it's like running in mud.

If you want to up your content game, get schooled to be a pro with Sixus1 Mentoring today!

RHaseltine ( ) posted Tue, 18 June 2013 at 4:05 PM

What are your render settings?

Disciple3d ( ) posted Tue, 18 June 2013 at 4:34 PM

I hadn't really paid much attention and was just using the default. I see that it's set to the turtle or best result with the slider. I'm using the Default Shader.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Wed, 19 June 2013 at 2:43 PM

Well, that shouldn't be desperately slow - in fact the default shading rate, at 1.0, is a bit high. How are you lighting the scene - ray-traced shadows and occlusion with transparency are a good way to slow a render.

markht ( ) posted Wed, 19 June 2013 at 10:37 PM

My experience is that render times are less in 4.6 than they were in 4.5 for the same scene and lighting.

Render times depend a lot on how you do the lighting and how much transparency is used in the scene. Some hair can slow down rendering a lot. Some other objects with a lot of transparency can slow do your render.

How are you doing lighting? What is in the scene?

midnight_stories ( ) posted Sun, 23 June 2013 at 5:26 PM

Any transparency maps and I'm afraid DS just falls over, I still don't know why they haven't fixed this maybe it just the render engine they can't get around. So hair or fibermesh better off rendering in poser, in some case I found 15min poser and 6 hours in DS, so be careful what you render !

alexhcowley ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2013 at 2:02 AM

Quote - My experience is that render times are less in 4.6 than they were in 4.5 for the same scene and lighting.

Render times depend a lot on how you do the lighting and how much transparency is used in the scene. Some hair can slow down rendering a lot. Some other objects with a lot of transparency can slow do your render.

How are you doing lighting? What is in the scene?

My experiences of going from 4.5 to 4.6  match yours. Render times are noticably faster. I've also found that long, thick hair slows down the render.

WoolyLoach ( ) posted Thu, 11 July 2013 at 12:50 PM

Transmaps kill DS performance in my experience, and even though DS 4.6 is faster for me, a thick lush hair and 3Delight just grinds down to a snails pace.

I bame the render engine, no idea why 3Delight is so slow with transmaps.  Ugh.

ksanderson ( ) posted Sat, 27 July 2013 at 9:26 PM · edited Sat, 27 July 2013 at 9:39 PM

Quote - Transmaps kill DS performance in my experience, and even though DS 4.6 is faster for me, a thick lush hair and 3Delight just grinds down to a snails pace.

I bame the render engine, no idea why 3Delight is so slow with transmaps.  Ugh.

It has to do with shadows, ambient occlusion and raytrace calulations.

Seems like all the render engines slow down on transmapped hair. But Omnifreaker figured out a way a while back to improve it with UberHair... http://www.omnifreaker.com/index.php?title=UberHair It has controls to disable some features to speed up renders yet still get good looking hair.

If it's not hair slowing your renders, check your settings. Perhaps something got bumped up or down. The new version of 3Delight in Studio is faster. But if you have the wrong settings, you will get slooooooow renders as before. Some of the higher quality settings are just not needed.

There are things that can really speed up renders in 3delight that aren't done because of maintaining some compatibility with the Poser Firefly engine and to keep things simpler for many users. There are things you can do with geometry which DAZ has done with Genesis that will speed things up, and you can use Texture Atlas or any photo editing software to reduce your texture sizes which will also speed things up. There are also lighting tricks like rendering a scene separately for each light used and compositing all the renders together blending your layers. Simple lighting renders much faster than complex as there are fewer calculations involved. You will get the same results by compositing each separately lit scene together as you got rendering with all the lights on but in much less time as shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F79cgGPEU_k

You can find various speed up tricks in the 3delight site in the manual and also there are some speed up tricks in the DAZ forums.

You don't have access to some of the settings in their manual since DAZ has the stripped down version, but many are there and at least you'll have a clearer explanation of why the settings work the way they do.

http://www.3delight.com/en/uploads/docs/3delight/3delight_52.html

And Adam's render tips at DAZ. I do believe his script works in 4.6 but he explains the settings so you can manually set them in Studio:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/16085/

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.