Mon, Sep 9, 4:03 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Sci Fi Fans of the MASS EFFECT Games

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 28 May 2014 at 10:24 AM · edited Fri, 06 September 2024 at 10:49 PM

file_504598.jpg

For you fans of the "Mass Effect" Games/Universe there are poser native Figures of most of the Main Game Characters. Poser 6 or higher NOT a "Genesis" Figure these renders are C4D's AR engine. ....................

My website

YouTube Channel

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 28 May 2014 at 10:25 AM

file_504599.jpg

My website

YouTube Channel

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 28 May 2014 at 10:25 AM

file_504600.jpg

My website

YouTube Channel

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 28 May 2014 at 10:26 AM

file_504601.jpg

My website

YouTube Channel

file_504602.jpg

My website

YouTube Channel

file_504603.jpg

My website

YouTube Channel

Nicola678122 ( ) posted Wed, 28 May 2014 at 3:00 PM

Impressive, most impressive...

Knickers...

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Wed, 28 May 2014 at 3:38 PM

Those are impressive but whoever made those, let's hope they are not trying to sell them or they should be prepared to be hit with copyright infringement lawsuits from EA and Bioware. D:

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 28 May 2014 at 4:00 PM

"there are poser native Figures of most of the Main Game Characters.
Poser 6 or higher"

aaand no other information. hence, useless posts..

Zaarin ( ) posted Wed, 28 May 2014 at 9:42 PM

Quote - Those are impressive but whoever made those, let's hope they are not trying to sell them or they should be prepared to be hit with copyright infringement lawsuits from EA and Bioware. D:

Yep. But if they're not infringing copyright laws, I'd love to get my hands on them. ;)  

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Thu, 29 May 2014 at 6:26 AM

Quote - > Quote - Those are impressive but whoever made those, let's hope they are not trying to sell them or they should be prepared to be hit with copyright infringement lawsuits from EA and Bioware. D:

Yep. But if they're not infringing copyright laws, I'd love to get my hands on them. ;)

I know the russian site that carries these models, personally I wouldn't buy the models because I doubt you could use the models in any commercial render or any notes that says they obtained a licence to sell them or any of their other products based on video games. I've heard of other rumors why not to buy them, but won't get into that but I will say that the DAZ mods used to delete the site links to these way before they instituted the "no offline commerical lnks" rule because of what I heard. And the person that used that made the Bruce Willis morph for sale here before it got taken down here sells the celebrity morphs there, so that should tell you to be careful buying from that place.

Zaarin ( ) posted Fri, 30 May 2014 at 11:24 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - Those are impressive but whoever made those, let's hope they are not trying to sell them or they should be prepared to be hit with copyright infringement lawsuits from EA and Bioware. D:

I know the russian site that carries these models, personally I wouldn't buy the models because I doubt you could use the models in any commercial render or any notes that says they obtained a licence to sell them or any of their other products based on video games. I've heard of other rumors why not to buy them, but won't get into that but I will say that the DAZ mods used to delete the site links to these way before they instituted the "no offline commerical lnks" rule because of what I heard. And the person that used that made the Bruce Willis morph for sale here before it got taken down here sells the celebrity morphs there, so that should tell you to be careful buying from that place.

I know the site you're talking about. Despite the time I've spent drooling over his Mass Effect stuff...yeah, totally not touching that place. Sad thing is, a lot of artists aren't gamers and probably won't know they're using copyrighted materials from games like Mass Effect and Skyrim. :(  

Teyon ( ) posted Sat, 31 May 2014 at 12:49 PM · edited Sat, 31 May 2014 at 12:53 PM

You mean this site?

Not to be that guy but I personally feel like Rendo needs to weed out the stuff that's clearly derivative of copyrighted material.  There's an outfit for Genesis ripped pretty much right from Mass Effect. I've got no issue doing something that could fit in the same world but the design is so very close to Tali'Zoraha's  that I thought it was her at first. It doesn't help that there's a texture set included that is her classic purple look. I guess the store staff aren't big gamers.

hornet3d ( ) posted Sat, 31 May 2014 at 1:05 PM

Quote - You mean this site?

Not to be that guy but I personally feel like Rendo needs to weed out the stuff that's clearly derivative of copyrighted material.  There's an outfit for Genesis ripped pretty much right from Mass Effect. I've got no issue doing something that could fit in the same world but the design is so very close to Tali'Zoraha's  that I thought it was her at first. It doesn't help that there's a texture set included that is her classic purple look. I guess the store staff aren't big gamers.

I had the same thought when I saw it and wondered if the other site is so bad, how come something like that can go on sale here.  I don't use Genesis so it would be no good for me anyway but even if it was V4 I would not buy it as I feel it encourages rip offs.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sat, 07 June 2014 at 3:30 PM

Dang! Now I have to go searching....

AmbientShade ( ) posted Sat, 07 June 2014 at 3:54 PM

This is no different than all the Star Wars or Star Trek or any other franchise-related works that comprise a large amount of Poser-related content on various sites, to include this site. 

Being free or paid makes no difference, it's still copyright violations. It would be impossible for any site to filter it all out, so it can only be dealt with on a case-by-case basis as complaints are received by admins of the various sites. But that usually requires you to be the copyright holder in order for most of those admins to even bother acknowledging the complaint. Even Renderosity has items in the MP that would be pulled if the right people saw it, from cars to character sets. DAZ does the same thing. They just released the Dragon 3 for example, and one of the sets available for it is a Godzilla clone. It's not called Godzilla, but anyone even remotely familiar with that franchise would recognize it. 

If it's original works, and not actual content being ripped from the games, then I don't see where it would be considered anything other than fan art, and most people seem fine with fan art. I guess the problem is you never actually know if it's content that was ripped or content that was built from scratch unless you can look at each model and compare both. 

~Shane

moriador ( ) posted Sat, 07 June 2014 at 4:30 PM

Yep. Disney used to be extremely authoritarian and strict in their policing of their IP. As did Lucas Films. But at some point, both of these companies seems to have realized that prosecuting your most dedicated fans is counterproductive, and they both seem to have relaxed quite a lot when it comes to fan art. 

And some companies -- though I can't think of any off-hand -- actively encourage fan art.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sat, 07 June 2014 at 5:46 PM

Back in 2010 someone rigged them for LightWave.

I just remembered making this. :-)

Zaarin ( ) posted Sat, 07 June 2014 at 9:53 PM

Quote - This is no different than all the Star Wars or Star Trek or any other franchise-related works that comprise a large amount of Poser-related content on various sites, to include this site. 

Being free or paid makes no difference, it's still copyright violations. It would be impossible for any site to filter it all out, so it can only be dealt with on a case-by-case basis as complaints are received by admins of the various sites. But that usually requires you to be the copyright holder in order for most of those admins to even bother acknowledging the complaint. Even Renderosity has items in the MP that would be pulled if the right people saw it, from cars to character sets. DAZ does the same thing. They just released the Dragon 3 for example, and one of the sets available for it is a Godzilla clone. It's not called Godzilla, but anyone even remotely familiar with that franchise would recognize it. 

If it's original works, and not actual content being ripped from the games, then I don't see where it would be considered anything other than fan art, and most people seem fine with fan art. I guess the problem is you never actually know if it's content that was ripped or content that was built from scratch unless you can look at each model and compare both. 

~Shane

Pretty much this. My understanding is that the other site in question directly rips content from various games (including Mass Effect and Skyrim) and sells it, whereas the product here that bears such a close resemblance to Ms. vas Normandy is clearly original work closely inspired by a game--he has other products that are also clearly inspired by Mass Effect. As long as EA doesn't prosecute him, it's probably safe--and for all its other flaws EA does seem to be pretty tolerant of fan art (even beyond BioWare; see The Sims which makes its bread and butter off fan content [some of which, sadly, is stolen from Poser--saw one of Fabiana's sets being passed off as original Poser content recently; I notified Fabiana--hope it gets taken care of[).  

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 08 June 2014 at 2:50 PM

file_504852.jpg

Found em for LightWave. Not good at modern LW posing. Have to experiment a bit.

wolf359 ( ) posted Mon, 09 June 2014 at 9:20 AM

file_504861.jpg

**"If it's original works, and not actual content being ripped from the games, then I don't see where it would be considered anything other than fan art, and most people seem fine with fan art."**

Not a Copyright Attorney here, but it seems there are many "Fan art" precedents both inside and outside the poser/ Daz content communities that would support the above opinion

"I guess the problem is you never actually know if it's content that was ripped or content that was built from scratch unless you can look at each model and compare both."

Problem solved see attached:

"My understanding is that the other site in question directly rips content from various games (including Mass Effect and Skyrim) and sells it,"

No.......see attached.

My website

YouTube Channel

wolf359 ( ) posted Mon, 09 June 2014 at 9:24 AM

file_504862.jpg

.....another angle

My website

YouTube Channel

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Mon, 09 June 2014 at 10:35 AM

The mesh could have been subdivided then retopo'd, most likely to get rid of the triangles before rigging it for poser. The bigger question is, if its an original mesh, why not have one figure and multiple costumes for sale rather than the multiple figures with different costumes as it is found in the store? That should be a big red flag.

Keith ( ) posted Mon, 09 June 2014 at 10:52 AM · edited Mon, 09 June 2014 at 10:54 AM

Quote - The mesh could have been subdivided then retopo'd, most likely to get rid of the triangles before rigging it for poser. The bigger question is, if its an original mesh, why not have one figure and multiple costumes for sale rather than the multiple figures with different costumes as it is found in the store? That should be a big red flag.

To be fair, and I make no claim whether this is the case here or not, a character modelled with clothing is lighter on the hardware than one where you model the character and stick the clothing on top, simply because you're only modeling what's needed.

There's been assorted times when I've been using my own characters where I've considered frankensteining the head on the costume the character is otherwise always wearing because you never see the body underneath. That's the case with the Liara character shown; you don't see anything other than her head/neck, so there's no reason to model the rest of her.

I doubt that's the actual reason, but it's one that's at least somewhat plausible.

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 10 June 2014 at 8:34 AM

"if its an original mesh, why not have one figure and multiple costumes for sale rather than the multiple figures with different costumes as it is found in the store? That should be a big red flag."

Hi it is possible that not everyone follows the Poser/DAZ business modelof separate Conforming Clothing,since these are fairly special purpose "one off" characters
But I have Zero interest in debating about rumors regarding these figures to be frank.

People can certainly make their own content purchasing decisions I will leave it at that.

"To be fair, and I make no claim whether this is the case here or not, a character modelled with clothing is lighter on the hardware than one where you model the character and stick the clothing on top, simply because you're only modeling what's needed."

Yes and for certain types of Special use,particularly Sci fi characters, I would prefer this approach particularly as an animator.
I never saw to logic in creating conforming, Hi resolution suits of armor that covered Mike or Vicky from head to toe which forces your system to handle all that geometry that is never seen in a render.

My website

YouTube Channel

Keith ( ) posted Wed, 11 June 2014 at 10:34 AM

Quote -
I never saw to logic in creating conforming, Hi resolution suits of armor that covered Mike or Vicky from head to toe which forces your system to handle all that geometry that is never seen in a render.

If the suit is in pieces, so you could show an image looking like someone is putting on or taking off the armour, I can see that.

It's the people using suits appropriate for characters like Spider-Man or Deadpool (total, 100% coverage) that amuse me when they stick it on a figure that is never seen. Why? If it's not dynamic, just use the suit.

Keith ( ) posted Wed, 11 June 2014 at 10:48 AM

You know, the thought just occurs to me...why has no one made a Poser figure that looks sort of like the new Robocop, at least not one that I've seen?

What I'm talking about: a figure that only has a modeled head and neck (and possibly a bit of the middle of the chest, then only hands and a bit of forearm? No other geometry, except possible a single polygon if one is needed for body parts. All the bones are there, they just aren't connected to any polygons, save the modeled ones. You can have the morph dials, but they don't adjust anything on the figure (except the parts that are seen), just act as a reference for the conforming clothing.

It would be like making hidden body parts invisible, as can be done now, but instead of just not being invisible, they aren't there at all. The saving in geometry would make the figure size smaller, but would cause even greater savings because you don't need the morph data in the figure since the dials are just dummies used for make morphs in the conformer.

For figures wearing a lot of the clothing that's out there, such as business suits or other clothing that covers most of the body, such as full-body catsuits, I'd be using using these all the freaking time.

joequick ( ) posted Wed, 11 June 2014 at 11:37 AM · edited Wed, 11 June 2014 at 11:43 AM

Sorry, but you may have just proven they are pirated wolf, you just don't have the eyes to see it.

This is just armchair quarterbacking, as I don't have either mesh,  but I think if you converted the game mesh to quads and then subdivided, you'd wind up with two remarkably similar meshes in the heads. For example, I count three rows of triangulated quads between the dense eyebrow region and the start of the tentacles.  You have six rows of quads in the forender mesh. Edgeloop redirecting topology also occurs in the same spots (a tri outside of the quad pattern in the game mesh, an oblong diamond shaped quad that breaks the pattern in the forender mesh).

In the dense brow region itself, three rows of triangulated quads in 16ish columns (there's one column that culminates in a non triangulated quad on each side of the nose), six rows in roughly 32 columns in the forender mesh (again, the edgeflow redirecting polys make it so that some columns of two merge into a single poly at the top).

Further, the bottom game tentacle is two rows of triangulated quads, the forender bottom tentacle four rows of quads.  Game tentacle second up, three rows of triangulated quads, forender, six rows of quads.

Picture the head mesh untriangulated and then subdivide.  They'd be very close to the same.

@Daz3d
@ShareCG

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 14 June 2014 at 8:24 AM

"Sorry, but you may have just proven they are pirated wolf, you just don't have the eyes to see it.

This is just armchair quarterbacking, as I don't have either mesh,  but I think......."

Hi, I suggest you take your theories to the appropriate parties
( the legal dept. of the gaming company)

As a merchant for renderosity who sells poser content at renderosity I have a $$financial$$ interest in people buying here instead "other"
poser content sites.

Therefore I will not use this forum to comment further on unproven allegations,rumors& gossip about other competing poser content sites.

I would hope that the staff here would encourage members with "various competing financial interests" to do the same.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

joequick ( ) posted Sat, 14 June 2014 at 3:14 PM

Quote - "Sorry, but you may have just proven they are pirated wolf, you just don't have the eyes to see it.

This is just armchair quarterbacking, as I don't have either mesh,  but I think......."

Hi, I suggest you take your theories to the appropriate parties
( the legal dept. of the gaming company)

As a merchant for renderosity who sells poser content at renderosity I have a $$financial$$ interest in people buying here instead "other"
poser content sites.

Therefore I will not use this forum to comment further on unproven allegations,rumors& gossip about other competing poser content sites.

I would hope that the staff here would encourage members with "various competing financial interests" to do the same.

Cheers

So to clarify for others, what this means in wolf code is that he spent days huddled in front of the computer trying to prove me wrong, realized I was right, and came in here to post a delusional self-important diatribe to try and save face.

@Daz3d
@ShareCG

AmbientShade ( ) posted Sat, 14 June 2014 at 5:18 PM

Ok guys look. I've asked about this and the bottom line is if it's not your model then it's none of your business.

If you think a model is counterfeit then bring it to the original artist's attention, as they are the only one who can legally do anything about it. 

Do not make baseless accusations here in this forum as that can get yourself in trouble. 

I'm allowing this thread to remain for now. Don't link to the models or name any sites that they are available at. 

This is a fan art thread and that's all that needs to be discussed here.

~Shane

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 15 June 2014 at 5:38 PM

file_504968.jpg

I get angry and want to take action when something is taking money out of a creator's  hands-such as someone selling someone else's Poser character. I am not so motivated when someone extracts and mods a game element-to sell to to a different market. If the creators of Mass Effect were in the business of selling Poser models-then I would be more bothered.

Neither action is right- but one causes harm-and the other just leads to more FAN ART-which may influence someone to buy the game-which leads to profit for the original creator. I suspect that is why most leave FAN ART alone. If someone were to use the game elements to create their own game-then damage is done to the orginal crreator.

This is motivating ME to consider buying a PC so I can replay Mass Effect using mods-and make my own mods with Zbrush. This will cause me to buy the PC versions of Mass Effect 1,2, and 3-putting $180.00 into their coffers-which would not go there otherwise-as I have the ME series for Xbox360.

Here is Samara from ME on a TOS era Starship Bridge-some FAN art I was working on from a fan art Enterprise Bridge and someone's version of Samara (free) back in 2010.

Zaarin ( ) posted Sun, 15 June 2014 at 7:28 PM

Quote - This will cause me to buy the PC versions of Mass Effect 1,2, and 3-putting $180.00 into their coffers

That's a trifle excessive. ME3 goes on sale for $5 frequently at Origin, and ME 1 and 2 are bundled for about $30 off sale at Steam; wait for the summer sale and they're practically guaranteed to go on sale. No need to spend more than about $20 for all three. ;) That's not counting DLC, of course, which is still exorbitant. :(

(That said, there aren't very many mods for the franchise. It's not a very mod friendly game.)  

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 15 June 2014 at 9:13 PM

Oh! Good info! I also play Skyrim quite a bit and there are lots of mods for that!!

Quote - > Quote - This will cause me to buy the PC versions of Mass Effect 1,2, and 3-putting $180.00 into their coffers

That's a trifle excessive. ME3 goes on sale for $5 frequently at Origin, and ME 1 and 2 are bundled for about $30 off sale at Steam; wait for the summer sale and they're practically guaranteed to go on sale. No need to spend more than about $20 for all three. ;) That's not counting DLC, of course, which is still exorbitant. :(

(That said, there aren't very many mods for the franchise. It's not a very mod friendly game.)  

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 17 June 2014 at 8:24 AM

"Ok guys look. I've asked about this and the bottom line is if it's not your model then it's none of your business.

If you think a model is counterfeit then bring it to the original artist's attention, as they are the only one who can legally do anything about it.

Do not make baseless accusations here in this forum as that can get yourself in trouble.

I'm allowing this thread to remain for now. Don't link to the models or name any sites that they are available at.

This is a fan art thread and that's all that needs to be discussed here."

+1

Thanks for the Clarification on Bondware's policy regarding accusations & such.

My website

YouTube Channel

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.