Wed, Sep 18, 11:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Ambient Occlusion on lights—what's the latest word?

Believable3D ( ) posted Fri, 15 August 2014 at 6:08 PM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 7:08 PM

I've never paid any attention to the Ambient Occlusion setting on the Properties tab for lights. For doing realistic renders (hopefully without too many artifacts), is this something I should be using? I'm trying to understand whether this is something "artificial" that technically shouldn't be allowed by the other light settings if the brightness were realistic, or....?

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

Believable3D ( ) posted Fri, 15 August 2014 at 6:30 PM

One reason I ask is because I feel like I'm not getting sufficient shadows with dynamic hair, particularly against the skull, even though I have all hair set to Casts shadows and Light emitter. But perhaps I'm doing something else wrong.... I have skullcap set completely invisible to everything.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

vilters ( ) posted Fri, 15 August 2014 at 6:49 PM

In the Math room : CHECK Opaque in shadows on the hair node.

In the hair properties : UNCHECK Light Emitter, leave Cast shadows checked..
Re-render

And washing away shadows is a signal that you could have too many lights in your scene.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

Believable3D ( ) posted Fri, 15 August 2014 at 6:56 PM

Thanks, Vilters. No, I don't have too many lights, and shadows are not washed away. It is only at the hair roots that I expect more shadows than I'm getting; everything else is fine. And unchecking Light Emitter? that improves speed, but it doesn't give improved shadows, just makes things less realistic....

aRtBee ( ) posted Sat, 16 August 2014 at 2:01 AM

essentially, Ambient Occlusion is meant for IBL lights only.

It should not be in the materials any more, it should not be on infinite / point / spot-lights, and it should not be around in IDL environments.

But of course, one can find some artistic needs for AO, for instance when switching off light emitter to take the surface out of the IDL process.

In my opinion, IBL/IDL are good in soft lighting but tend to ruin the shadows and shades that give depth to the scene and shape to the objects (and translucency to scatter). Direct lights do the opposite. High GC exaggerates the workings of IDL and reduces the workings of Direct Light, low GC does the opposite. So the art is in the balancing of those elements, like photographers are balancing natural light and additional flash.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.