Sun, Sep 22, 2:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 8:54 am)

Subject: Need Help With Understanding Render Settings Poser User Trying Studio Again

shannonsuzanne ( ) posted Sun, 18 January 2015 at 10:37 PM · edited Tue, 17 September 2024 at 5:34 PM

Hello!  I started my 3D career in Studio 3, but I quickly moved over to Poser 7 and then 2012/2014.  I love Poser, but most of my favorite vendors are almost exclusively making things for the pesky Genesis creature.  Now, I was on the boat when it came out.  I have lots of lovely things for the first Genesis.  Yet, I never could figure out how to render big pictures like I do in Poser.  I even tried the DSON importy thing.  I didn't like it so much.  

So, for example, I generally render at 300DPI and type in some pixel sizes that I like..such as if I need an 11 x 17 etc.  This works well for me in Poser Pro 2014 and 2012 and 7....in fact you Google Poser Render Settings and you find all kinds of tutorials.   Studio?  Still a mystery.  Are all the resolutions 300 DPI?  Do you just monkey with the shaders and pixels samples for better art?  I have found where to change the size, but what DPI is it going to be?

Can anyone that uses Studio to render now, I just re-downloaded all my Genesis goodies and the new 4.7....starting from scratch again, share what buttons you push in there or direct me to a tutorial that shows me a better understanding of what this stuff means in English?  I see the box on the "Dimension Preset" but what in goodness sake do you choose?

I mostly render things without SSS on in Poser and they are usually 8x10 and 300 DPI.  Basic render with just a clothed person takes 10 to 15 minutes on some decent settings that I like.  

Any guidance would be most appreciated.  I'm willing to give Genesis a try again, but I won't be mixing Poser and Studio ever again...blarg that was awful.  I'm eyeballing Aiko 6 right now, but the bundle I want is 130 bucks...so I'll just play with my Manga Hart outfit and some PRIME Gen 2 Girls I have until I see if I can render good in Studio again.

Thank you!

ldgilman ( ) posted Sun, 18 January 2015 at 10:52 PM

I agree with all the above!!

Razor42 ( ) posted Sun, 18 January 2015 at 10:52 PM · edited Sun, 18 January 2015 at 10:54 PM

Really DPI is a misnomer when it comes to digital image sizing. DPI is Dots per inch and relates to print size or screen size generally speaking.

What you need to look at is Pixel dimensions so for example if wanted 8x5 inches to be printed at 300 dpi your pixel dimension size would need to be 

8  x 300 = 2400

By

5 x 300 = 1500

So thats a pixel dimension size of W:2400 x H:1500 (Landscape).

(InchSize) x (Required DPI) = (Pixel Dimension)

You can find the settings at Render/editor/general.

Hope this helps!

file_bd4c9ab730f5513206b999ec0d90d1fb.jp

shannonsuzanne ( ) posted Sun, 18 January 2015 at 11:14 PM

Yes!  That helps a great deal.  I always knew the formula, but it is always confusing...especially since Poser asks you for your DPI.  This makes it much easier.  I actually already tried a quick render and playes with the pixel size.  Boy it rendered fast.   A lot faster than I remember it being. Now, if I can just get my Genesis stuff from here into the correct areas for Studio I should be set.  Looks like I have lots of downloading and installing to do.  

Thanks again! 

RHaseltine ( ) posted Mon, 19 January 2015 at 3:18 PM

In DS 4.7 the Render Settings dialogue can do the maths for you - just type 8.5300 and 11300, for example, in the dimension boxes. A DS render doesn't have a PPI setting -that's just a number at the front of the file saying how big a pixel should be when printed, or placed in a document specified in real-world units. Most editors and viewers will use either 72PPI or 96PPI for untagged images.

shannonsuzanne ( ) posted Mon, 19 January 2015 at 3:25 PM

Even better!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.