Sun, Oct 6, 7:16 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Mars Habitat by Stonemason

SoulTaker ( ) posted Sun, 21 February 2016 at 11:41 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 11:57 PM
Online Now!

Hi All has anyone managed to get the Mars Habitat into Poser? I so how and what are the results? as always thanks ahead of time and hope you had a good weekend

Jules53757 ( ) posted Sun, 21 February 2016 at 11:49 AM

I didn't do it as I don't own it but due to the description there is a DSON installer included and so it should be easy to bring it into Poser 9 and above.

Ulli

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 21 February 2016 at 12:31 PM

The compatible software description only lists DAZStudio 4.9 which means there is no Poser Companion File associated with it. You will either need to create the necessary PCF or use D3D's DSONLoader to import it into Poser.

Jules53757 ( ) posted Sun, 21 February 2016 at 1:19 PM

hborre posted at 8:16PM Sun, 21 February 2016 - #4256510

The compatible software description only lists DAZStudio 4.9 which means there is no Poser Companion File associated with it. You will either need to create the necessary PCF or use D3D's DSONLoader to import it into Poser.

Sorry but you're wrong, please read the Notes for this product:

Notes

This product includes:
    1 DSON Core Installer 

So it should work in Poser 9 and up, Studio 4.9 is only a misleading expression as it allows:

Install Types:

Daz Connect,  Install Manager and Manual Install 

Ulli

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

moriador ( ) posted Sun, 21 February 2016 at 4:12 PM · edited Sun, 21 February 2016 at 4:17 PM

The DSON core installer is used by Daz Studio. All files for DS4 and up with have a DSON core installer. Unless the product mentions Poser Companion files or Poser Core Installer, then it won't open in Poser without the use of D3D's DSON loader (or making your own PCF's) -- exactly as hborre says.

I don't have the Mars Habitat, but I did buy Streets of London. I didn't use the DSON loader to get it into Poser because I wanted native Poser props. Instead, I exported the entire scene from DS (as FBX) and then imported into Poser. This way, all the props were correctly sized and in the right places, and all the textures were properly attached..

It worked, but not perfectly. A couple of roofs had some bad polys, which I fixed by spawning a prop of just the roof and then subdividing it. And, of course, none of the shaders survived. However, I very much wanted the props, and I'm totally happy with my purchase and with the conversion into Poser.

Whether it will work with other products, or will work as well as you need it to, I can't say. But aside from a couple of very minor errors with some polys and the total loss of all shaders, Stonemason's props seem to import into Poser quite well. Rigged figures, however, may not. Your mileage may vary. If you don't have a tolerance for some errors, or are not willing to fix them yourself, I wouldn't recommend this method.

I didn't even try using D3D's script.... Hmmm. Perhaps it would have been better to use it to get the props into Poser, and then spawn props from within Poser, in order to get PP2's.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 22 February 2016 at 6:31 AM

Stonemason is an administrator over at DAZ, you might want to ask him directly about conversions or fixes for this.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Slosh ( ) posted Mon, 22 February 2016 at 7:43 AM

Stonemason is not an administrator at Daz, but he might reply to a thread started on the forums.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Mon, 22 February 2016 at 7:50 AM

Slosh posted at 8:48AM Mon, 22 February 2016 - #4256664

Stonemason is not an administrator at Daz, but he might reply to a thread started on the forums.

Actually I wouldn't. There's already been numerous threads on Poser conversions in which he's previously replied that he no longer supports poser and he doesn't have it installed. Those threads started there always end with a lock because they get out of hand quickly. I would use the suggestions already provided in this thread.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Mon, 22 February 2016 at 9:28 AM · edited Mon, 22 February 2016 at 9:29 AM

Moriador said

"It worked, but not perfectly. A couple of roofs had some bad polys, which I fixed by spawning a prop of just the roof and then subdividing it... But aside from a couple of very minor errors with some polys and the total loss of all shaders, Stonemason's props seem to import into Poser quite well."

Just a little heads up about this workflow recommendation, it may or may not be relevant depending on the particular model. Stonemason made this following statement to me about general use of his models in Poser in relation to his modeling techniques...

"...but for the past 7 years or so I was using smooth groups in the obj(that's the one thing Poser had over DS that affected my workflow,the ability to read smooth groups), I rarely add control loops,and to that end subdividing one of my models in poser would just make it a mess."

Might be a useful bit of inside information from the technical standpoint. Posted originally here...

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2892221&page_number=25#msg4237595

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 22 February 2016 at 4:14 PM

Sorry mistaken identity ... carry on.

Boni

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Mon, 22 February 2016 at 6:03 PM

I assume you don't mean "carry on" as "misbehave". Lol.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 22 February 2016 at 6:39 PM

Naughty boy ... Here is not the place to "aim to misbehave" ... we be the good guys.

Boni

jura11 ( ) posted Tue, 23 February 2016 at 3:15 PM

Hi there

I would suggest export Mars Habitat from DS to Poser as OBJ,I've tried few props from Stonemason to export as OBJ and all of them has worked for me This Mars Habitat I've and tried to export as OBJ and everything has worked although Skydome doesn't work for me with Superfly,but with Firefly I didn't tried at all

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

moriador ( ) posted Tue, 23 February 2016 at 3:39 PM · edited Tue, 23 February 2016 at 3:46 PM

EldritchCellar posted at 1:36PM Tue, 23 February 2016 - #4256680

Moriador said

"It worked, but not perfectly. A couple of roofs had some bad polys, which I fixed by spawning a prop of just the roof and then subdividing it... But aside from a couple of very minor errors with some polys and the total loss of all shaders, Stonemason's props seem to import into Poser quite well."

Just a little heads up about this workflow recommendation, it may or may not be relevant depending on the particular model. Stonemason made this following statement to me about general use of his models in Poser in relation to his modeling techniques...

"...but for the past 7 years or so I was using smooth groups in the obj(that's the one thing Poser had over DS that affected my workflow,the ability to read smooth groups), I rarely add control loops,and to that end subdividing one of my models in poser would just make it a mess."

Might be a useful bit of inside information from the technical standpoint. Posted originally here...

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2892221&page_number=25#msg4237595

You are quite right! Subdividing in Poser makes a complete mess of just about any prop, which is why I used Snarlygribbly's subdivision script to subdivide (you can choose to maintain edges or not, and it's also great for subdividing entire figures plus conformers and parented things and welding them into a single prop in one quick step. I kinda wish there was an option to do this without actually even subdividing.) I thought I mentioned that, but apparently... oops....I forgot. I did note that I also only subdivided the roof, after I had spawned a separate prop for it using the grouping tool.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Tue, 23 February 2016 at 4:19 PM · edited Tue, 23 February 2016 at 4:24 PM

"I kinda wish there was an option to do this without actually even subdividing."

An option to do what? There may be, except I'm unclear what you would like to do.

Edit_ use the script to create welded static props without subdividing? There's alot of little tricks with text editing .obj files in conjunction with Poser's built in tools and export/import options. But, you probably know this. Your statement just made me curious.

moriador ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 1:04 AM · edited Wed, 24 February 2016 at 1:18 AM

Actually, I don't know about editing obj files. But doing so wouldn't enable me to spawn a prop from a posed figure, in any case, would it?.

The way Snarly's subd script works is that you select an asset (figure or prop) and then choose the level of subdivision. Then you check whether you want to maintain hard edges or not, and whether or not you want to delete the created prop after render. When you press the subd button, the selected asset is subdivided and converted into a static prop, and then made invisible, so that the new prop appears in place of the old prop or figure. If it's a figure, the created prop contains all the groups in a single obj (unlike spawning props with the grouping tool). And if there are any props parented to the figure, you have the choice to have those included in the new subdivided prop. All materials and shaders are preserved (except I think, unless there's a new version, that it may wreck Superfly specific shaders).

Since it only takes a couple of clicks and it doesn't muck up Firefly materials, it's much faster than exporting as an obj and then importing again. Moreover, there's an undo feature. so if you do something like decide you don't want to include parented props or change the subd level, you can undo and redo.

I use it to create static props of posed Genesis figures and sometimes their clothing so that I can load dozens of them into a single render. I also use it to increase the resolution of dynamic clothing -- after the sim -- to make the folds nice and smooth without increasing the simulation time. But I think you can see how you don't always want to subdivide everything when you use it to convert to a prop. So it would be very nice to be able to choose a subdivision level of 0. Unfortunately, the lowest level is 1.

Edit: I forgot to add, like all of Snarly's miracle scripts, it also brews a perfect cup of tea, predicts the local weather with a high degree of accuracy, translates documents into Brythonic Celtic, and if you check the box by the heart icon, it prints a flattering compliment on your screen to improve your self-esteem.

Way, way better than export/import and text editing the obj. 😀

Edit2: In a pinch, I have used it to spawn props that I don't want subdivided and then used Game Dev's poly reduction on the subdivided prop. It works, but isn't quite as optimal as -- maybe -- it could be, if only Snarly had known how incredibly useful his addon to Poser actually would be.

moriador ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 1:32 AM · edited Wed, 24 February 2016 at 1:33 AM

If you're curious why this addon ever got created, I believe it started with Cliff Bowman's Genesis exporter (from the days before the DSON importer). The problem at the time was that Poser did not have subdivision yet, so the Genesis figures -- while they worked as native Poser figures and the clothes kinda autofit when you used Cliff's script -- did not look very good in Poser. Snarly wrote the subdivision addon -- I think -- as a way to bring subd into Poser for the purpose of rendering lo poly figures, which is why it has the option to have the subdivided prop delete itself when the render is finished.

jura11 ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 5:00 PM

Hi there

Here is quick render in Poser Pro 2016 with Superfly,Mars Habitat has been exported as OBJ to Poser etc

Render 1.jpg

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

stonemason ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2016 at 8:49 PM

I think that terrain material uses a mask which blends a rock and sand texture together,so you'll want to use the blender node in Poser to get it looking right,

Cg Society Portfolio

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 6:43 AM

Wow. That's a lot to take in moriador. Ok. Nevermind. Back to making stuff.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 6:53 AM

Hi stonemason!

Nagra_00_ ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 8:24 AM

Here is a setup for the terrain:

MarsGround.jpg

and a SuperFly render of the set:

MarsHabitat.jpg

SoulTaker ( ) posted Sat, 27 February 2016 at 3:51 AM · edited Sat, 27 February 2016 at 3:51 AM
Online Now!

Hi all, thanks for the replies and help. I can get it into poser as an OBJ. but from that I can make a prop so its not to bad. you have to use dazstudio, no way around it. I used daz 4.8. not 4.9 only because that what I have installed. load it in dazstudio. First thing to do is delete the sky. you can export that later (if you want it) click file (top left) and export as obj (didnt work as CHR)and save to a folder. start poser>import OBJ. (no matter what I did, it would only export the whole thing. as in all of it.) in poser click group editor and then click on the mars land, it should turn red, then in the editor click "Create prop" call it want you want. then again in then editor click "modify" in the drop down click "invert" this should turn the habitat red. again click "Create prop"" that about it. I had to scale it up to 3200% mess with the texture's a bit. still a bit to do. but its in poser hope this is some help regards also big thanks to nagra for the ground texture setup.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.