Wed, Sep 18, 2:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Virtual World Dynamics

Welcome to the Virtual World Dynamics Forum

Virtual World Dynamics F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 1:40 pm)

Subject: it's possible make detail such a wrinkle or fold cloth?

akuei2 ( ) posted Sat, 03 September 2016 at 1:31 AM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 2:26 PM

During static simulation, clothing is leaning smooth and flat ( without wrinkle ).

It's possible add detail winkle or fold, via setting parameter, or adjust my hand?

Any idea?

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sat, 03 September 2016 at 9:39 AM

Yes akuei2, you can use the scale function to create folds. For a skirt, if the mesh of this skirt is made by quadrangles, You can select vertical lines of vertices and use the scale value on these vertices. Only the springs used between the selected vertices will be reduced. You have to define a rigidification by extention for the skirt using a value you will give you the folds you want to create (extension of 2 for a pleated skirt with a selection on one vertical line on two) . A scale function using a X,Z orientation would be very helpful for this kind of action. It is necessary to remember that VWD is not a program made to create clothes, its goal is to animate them. A new function giving the length of the selected springs (defined by their vertices) will be very helpful in the next version. I am not sure my explanations are clear enough.

Follow me on Twitter : @VWDynamics

Watch demo videos on Youtube

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sat, 03 September 2016 at 3:39 PM

Just a little thought. The workflow for the folds that I explained in my last message, will work correctly when the X,Z scale function and the Y scale function will work in VWD. However, you can use a scale method on several vertices to generate wrinkles.

Follow me on Twitter : @VWDynamics

Watch demo videos on Youtube

akuei2 ( ) posted Sat, 03 September 2016 at 9:52 PM · edited Sat, 03 September 2016 at 9:53 PM

yes, it's work, but all direction reduce at same time, make it strange, orz ...

Look like, Scale-up is usefull function

May in future , add fold brush or something, lol.

Anyway, thank you advice.

Mythico ( ) posted Tue, 06 September 2016 at 12:32 PM · edited Tue, 06 September 2016 at 12:33 PM

The ability to fold also dependent on the clothing mesh topology and mesh density. Some clothing are too low poly for soft cloth simulation. Some clothing also has uneven poly.

Good thing is, if the mesh doesn't have enough polys in Daz Studio you can subdivide first before VWD sim. VWD will intelligently import the subdivided higher poly version.

Mythico ( ) posted Tue, 06 September 2016 at 12:35 PM

Akuei, you also mentioned 'can I adjust by hand'

Do you know, after a few frame of dynamic simulation, you can stop simulation. Then hold Shift and click on the clothes, to directly fold and morph the clothes to the shape you want?

Writers_Block ( ) posted Fri, 09 September 2016 at 4:28 PM

One thing I've found helpful; is once it's back in Daz Studio, I apply a sub-d, but I rarely apply the smoothing option; even after applying it, I almost always turn it off, and the cases where I haven't, then i've had it at '1'. Sub D is great for allowing detail present to actually show up. Smoothing normally gets rid of it.

Mythico ( ) posted Mon, 12 September 2016 at 3:05 AM · edited Mon, 12 September 2016 at 3:14 AM

DS's "Smooth" modifier should have been properly labeled collision manager...which is intended less for smoothing, and more for fixing post-autofit collision and pokethroughs.

If the clothing object is well modeled and the sim session is done properly, one rarely needs to resort to DS "smooth" modifier.

As to typical smoothing, yes just one level of SubD post simulation gives nice enough polish for most simulated clothing and hair...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.