Tue, Sep 3, 6:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 8:02 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: depth map in photoshop - how to use it?

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 13 October 2016 at 9:28 AM · edited Sun, 01 September 2024 at 1:53 AM

Hi, I made a depthmap for a render using poser, but i don't know how to use it in photoshop. I googled but cant' find the answer - most tutes seem to be on how to make a depth map and I already have that part. I made a mask and copied the depthmap into this and opened lensblur and fiddled around but it isn't working. I think im doing somethign wrong. Love esther Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 12.27.54 am.png

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

FrankT ( ) posted Thu, 13 October 2016 at 1:45 PM · edited Thu, 13 October 2016 at 1:50 PM

you need to add the depth map as a new channel, not a layer mask. You can select that as the lens blur and it should be fine - See

http://www.workshop.mintviz.com/tutorials/depth-of-field-using-vray-zdepth/ look at the bit from "Compositing the ZDepth in Adobe Photoshop" which is pretty much how I do it with a Vue ZDepth map. You probably won't need to invert the map though

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 13 October 2016 at 5:47 PM

Hi thanks. that is a good tutorial. However it didn't work. I thought maybe the image was too big so I tried a smaller image. the depth map goes blurry in the filter window but the image is unchanged.Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 8.43.36 am.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-14 at 8.43.49 am.png

FrankT ( ) posted Fri, 14 October 2016 at 1:41 PM

Try taking off invert

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Deenamic ( ) posted Fri, 14 October 2016 at 1:42 PM · edited Fri, 14 October 2016 at 1:48 PM
Forum Moderator

Hi Esther! I've never used a depth map before, but I am going to try my best to help you. From what I've read from your posts, you're trying to add a lens blur to your depth map and you can only see the blur in the preview, but not on the actual image. Have you tried the lens blur on a regular image and does it show on the actual image? If it doesn't, then I wonder if something could be wrong with the preferences for the lens blur filter. I found a thread on Adobe's website in which a person couldn't get the lens blur to show on their actual image in Photoshop Elements and I think it started working again after they deleted the lens blur preferences folder, I think that refreshed the settings for the lens blur filter. Even though the thread shows how to delete the folder in Elements, Photoshop has the same folder in the same location. Maybe this solution will help you. Here's a link to the Adobe thread I'm talking about:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1083473

Denesia (Dee)

Forums: Photoshop  ☮  Photography  ☮  Mixed Medium  ☮  Freestuff  ☮  Freestuff Testing  ☮  Changes wanted in the Community  ☮  Marvelous Designer  ☮  Challenge Arena  ☮  Animation  ☮  Fractals  ☮  Beta Testing  ☮  The Get-Away Spot  ☮  Newcomer Corner  ☮  Suggestion Box  ☮  Contest Announcements

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 14 October 2016 at 2:33 PM

Thanks Dee. I am away from my computer for a few days but I will try when I get back. I will let you know how I get on. Love esther

Deenamic ( ) posted Fri, 14 October 2016 at 8:29 PM
Forum Moderator

You're welcome Esther! Ok, that sounds good. I hope what I said will work for you. I hope you have a wonderful weekend! 😄

Denesia (Dee)

Forums: Photoshop  ☮  Photography  ☮  Mixed Medium  ☮  Freestuff  ☮  Freestuff Testing  ☮  Changes wanted in the Community  ☮  Marvelous Designer  ☮  Challenge Arena  ☮  Animation  ☮  Fractals  ☮  Beta Testing  ☮  The Get-Away Spot  ☮  Newcomer Corner  ☮  Suggestion Box  ☮  Contest Announcements

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 16 October 2016 at 9:56 PM

well i tried invert and that didn't fix it. I tried another picture and that worked so then I went back to my picture and i noticed that there is this orange highlight on the layer on the right which you can see in my above image. so then I clicked all the layers off in the channel and tried againa dn ow it works. thanks.

Deenamic ( ) posted Mon, 17 October 2016 at 9:48 AM
Forum Moderator

You're welcome Esther! I'm happy you got it back to working, now you can have fun creating again! 😄

Denesia (Dee)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.