Wed, Sep 18, 2:15 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Virtual World Dynamics

Welcome to the Virtual World Dynamics Forum

Virtual World Dynamics F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 1:40 pm)

Subject: Patreon for VWD

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sun, 16 June 2019 at 11:56 AM

Hello Leonides02,

I have to finalize the current version. I progress in the program development in many areas but I need some help for the Cloth presets. Certainly I will redefine the method for the creation of these presets. I want to create a new simulation Daz file for this. Did some persons would accept to do some tests?

Follow me on Twitter : @VWDynamics

Watch demo videos on Youtube

Leonides02 ( ) posted Sun, 16 June 2019 at 1:23 PM

Gerald, have you had a chance to play with the new strand-based hair DAZ has released in 4.11? There is the dForce hair, but the strand-based hair can be created by users within DAZ Studio and CAN'T be simulated with dForce. Many users are upset about this.

I'm wondering if VWD will be able to simulate these hairs. If so, you may get many new customers. :)

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Mon, 17 June 2019 at 6:19 PM

Hello Leonides02,

Yes, I think VWD can easily simulation strand-based hair. It does this with the dynamic morphs even if these simulations are very simple.

I never found a solution to download the Daz Studio v4.11. Is there a possibility to download it directly? I only work on internet with Linux, even to download a program for Windows. Is there some examples of these hair allowing to do some tests?

Leonides02 ( ) posted Mon, 17 June 2019 at 7:30 PM

Hi Gerald -

I tried to use VWD on the strand-based hair and, unfortunately, it didn't work. The hair doesn't generate an OBJ of any kind, so I'm not sure if it will work with VWD unless you come up with a clever solution!

I believe you can download directly here:

https://www.daz3d.com/get_studio

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Tue, 18 June 2019 at 5:24 PM

Hello Leonides02,

I did a small test with strand-based hair and it works fine with VWD. I would like to do a simulation with this kind of hair but I didn't find a realistic strand-based hair at Daz3D. My first test has been made with a very simple hair created with some mouse clicks and the result is not realistic. Do you know if it is possible to get a test hair?

Leonides02 ( ) posted Tue, 18 June 2019 at 6:09 PM

Hi Gerald -

Really? I wonder what I did wrong. Would you mind running through your steps?

If VWD works on the strand-based hair we can create, that is fantastic.

However, I wonder if VWD will need additional options to modify the hair? It seems like those using the strand-based hair to create products like this (https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-femme-fatale-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8-females) have access to special dForce settings we do not.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Wed, 19 June 2019 at 3:31 PM

Hi Leonides02,

I am not very good to create hair with the new Daz function even if the process is very easy. I can do tutorial to explain how I do to simulate these hair. It is easy to simulate these hair but it is perhaps necessary to not use too much strands and Increase their sizes (radius) a little bit. You need to show the strands in the interface using a parameters value (I don't remember the exact name). I agree with you, I didn't find a way to simulate these hair with DForce, I suppose there is a lock. But...... we don't want to use Dforce ... No??? I think it is a commercial choice made by Daz3D team. Unfortunaly, for them.... VWD exists :-)

VWD_dan ( ) posted Wed, 19 June 2019 at 4:48 PM · edited Wed, 19 June 2019 at 4:49 PM

It is interesting to see that their (DAZ) new promo for DS4.11 shows both static and simulated hair. I wonder what we're missing...

I read that this DS 4.11 hair update is based on a major rewrite of the original Garibaldi hair product, after the author released it to open source. Perhaps we can find clues to how the strands work from the source-code and how they might be accessed as mesh items from DS 4.11's API (or somehow exported as OBJ, etc.).

cheers, VWD_dan

VWD website: https://www.virtualworlddynamics.net  -  VWD support: support@virtualworlddynamics.net

Current VWD Versions:   Release: V1.1.522.3630 – 2017/05/18 11:52,    Beta: V2.2.908.6404 beta – 2019/11/24 9:34 (exp 2019/12/28)

Qualifier: Yes, I'm helping Gérald with VWD, No, I'm not yet an expert on its use!

Leonides02 ( ) posted Wed, 19 June 2019 at 5:14 PM

Hello Dan and Gerald,

Yes, you can make them a mesh by clicking on the "Preview PR Hairs" in the Parameter tab. This appears to allow VWD to "see" them. However, they don't simulate very well. :-

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 2:03 PM

Hello Leonides02,

Yes, I didn't remember the name of this parameter. I made some tests with some very simple strand hair. For me, my results are not good because my hair examples are not good as well. Did you create interestinf hair using this method. Did you find some issues in the simulation?

Leonides02 ( ) posted Sun, 23 June 2019 at 12:00 PM

Hi Gerald,

When I ran a simulation the hair became very "chunky" at the bottom, as if all the polygons had distorted. I'll run a sim tonight with screenshots.

Making the new Daz fiber hair work well with VWD--if possible--would be a game-changer for VWD since Daz has (stupidly) locked users out of using dForce on hair.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sun, 23 June 2019 at 5:07 PM

Hi Leonides02,

Concerning the large polygons at the bottom of the hair, I had this issue but, for me, this is resolved. Could you redo a test with the lastest version.

About the new Daz hair, I made some simple tests and the results seemed good. What is the issue you found with these hair.

Leonides02 ( ) posted Sun, 23 June 2019 at 6:53 PM

Hi Gerald,

The "chunkiness" was only happening on the new Daz strand-based hair. However, I'm going to try to see what happens if I add a skullcap.

Leonides02 ( ) posted Mon, 24 June 2019 at 4:20 AM

Hi Gerald,

So his strand hair seems to simulate fairly easily, actually. However, I can't find a way to tie the roots to the skull, so it just falls off all over the character. There is no "skull cap" as with standard hair. I've tried to select the vertices normally, but that slows VWD to a crawl and simply doesn't work well at all.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Leonides02 ( ) posted Mon, 24 June 2019 at 4:57 AM · edited Mon, 24 June 2019 at 4:57 AM

Ok, so for some reason I was able to get it to work on Genesis 8. Unfortunately, to make convincing hair, you need a lot of strands, and I keep running out of memory. I suppose I could make many individual strand-based hair objects, but that seems like a lot of time and I wouldn't be able to run the simulations at the same time.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Mon, 24 June 2019 at 6:51 PM

Hello Leonides02,

You are right, your last solution could work but this will need to do several simulations. These hair meshes are extruded triangles, perhaps we could generate large triangles and apply a material with transparence on them. The result will not be so good.

About the tied vertices on the head. I tried to use the free edges function and remove the vertices which are at the end of the strand. If these vertices are not too close to the head, it is not so difficult to do. I will try to find a way to select only the vertices which at the base of the hair.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Mon, 24 June 2019 at 6:56 PM

Just an idea, perhaps it is possible to use the same simulation with a limited number of strands several times but using different seeds. This solution is perhaps automatizable.

Writers_Block ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2019 at 5:08 AM · edited Thu, 27 June 2019 at 5:09 AM

Have I missed the link to Patreon? Edit: I don't do Twitter, or Facebook come to that.

VWD_dan ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2019 at 6:39 PM

Writers_Block posted at 6:09PM Mon, 01 July 2019 - #4354961

Have I missed the link to Patreon? Edit: I don't do Twitter, or Facebook come to that.

Hi Writers_Block!

Thanks for stopping by. A Patreon account is now in place (patreon.com/vwd), but with all of our energies going toward our upcoming release, we don't have anything to offer our sponsors yet. After the September V2.x release here at Renderosity, we expect to formalize our periodic sponsor rewards on Patreon - things that are too small to sell here, but will hopefully inspire continued patronage (in the true sense) - little things like props, tutorials, presets, etc. Maybe more substantial items if interest grows in that direction.

VWD_dan

VWD website: https://www.virtualworlddynamics.net  -  VWD support: support@virtualworlddynamics.net

Current VWD Versions:   Release: V1.1.522.3630 – 2017/05/18 11:52,    Beta: V2.2.908.6404 beta – 2019/11/24 9:34 (exp 2019/12/28)

Qualifier: Yes, I'm helping Gérald with VWD, No, I'm not yet an expert on its use!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.