Wed, Sep 18, 2:14 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Virtual World Dynamics

Welcome to the Virtual World Dynamics Forum

Virtual World Dynamics F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 1:40 pm)

Subject: Patreon for VWD

stger ( ) posted Sun, 02 December 2018 at 10:06 AM · edited Sun, 02 December 2018 at 10:06 AM

yvesab posted at 10:03AM Sun, 02 December 2018 - #4341023

To be really honest, I think the best would be for Gerald to write a tutorial in french, then try to find a translator who could do the job at a minimal fee. It would be much more comfortable for everybody ! You native english speaking people don't imagine how hard it is for us "barbarians" to understand english written or spoken by a non totally fluent person ... I recently went to DC see my daughter who's working there, (in a restaurant, oeuf Corse ;-)) and it was really hard to understand what Uber drivers was telling us (one from Colombia, the other from Poland)

Neither surody nor I are native english speakers. But I know what you mean. I don't think your idea is bad at all if the tutorials would be syncronized by a native speaker.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sun, 02 December 2018 at 10:23 AM

For me, it is easier to make a tutorial in French, of course.

The issue is many people prefers to have tutorials in English and I think the translators do not work fine for the voice.

Surody told me to use a synthetic voice. Some voices have a very high quality. But this method asks a double work and I think I will take less time to do one tutorial in French and one tutorial in bad English. 😁

I really want to progress in my English speaking by taking time to work with a teacher.

Now, the NEWS!!! With the help of Philippe (Philemot), I started to write a new plugin to accelerate the communication between VWD and Daz Studio.

The two functions work correctly and I will do a small tutorial (or 2). The importation allows now to use a "Animated by host" function with 300,000 vertices hair without taking 10 coffees. The exportation allows to see the result of the animation almost at real time in the Daz interface.

The video will be the best demo.

Currently, I just have an issue during the importation: the normals do not seem to be modify correctly. I just opened a thread in the Daz Studio SDK forum.

I will do the tutorial(s) tomorrow, I think.

Follow me on Twitter : @VWDynamics

Watch demo videos on Youtube

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Mon, 03 December 2018 at 8:03 AM

Just a small tutorial to show you the result of the new SDK functions.

1. the speed to import animations in VWD is really faster.
  2. the display of the final simulation in Daz Studio is very fast.

I just have to correct some small issues to create a new version integrating all the new functionnalities.

here is the video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5tQHoocD84

Surody ( ) posted Mon, 03 December 2018 at 9:18 AM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 9:18AM Mon, 03 December 2018 - #4341074

Just a small tutorial to show you the result of the new SDK functions.

1. the speed to import animations in VWD is really faster.
  2. the display of the final simulation in Daz Studio is very fast.

I just have to correct some small issues to create a new version integrating all the new functionnalities.

here is the video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5tQHoocD84

Really nice! Can you implement that the plugin/script turns off the visibility of the original hair/clothing etc. when the animation is simulating?

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Mon, 03 December 2018 at 2:21 PM

Yes, I can implement this function when the simulation is running.

I have to write the SDK function for the "Send pose to host" function. This function could be used for the cloth/hair update in the host during the simulation. This best way to use this dynamic update would be to use it if the necessary animations are already made for collisions actors and for dynamic actor when the "animated by host" function is running.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Mon, 03 December 2018 at 2:32 PM

About tutorials, I am sure Yvesab will agree me if I say the language teaching in France is fully to recast. It is a disaster. 😁

I think it is a good idea to make a first tutorial in French because, for me, it is so easy and I think this can help all the users. Then, I can do a second tutorial in English which will improve in time. I do not want to write something, this will take me too much time.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2018 at 3:26 PM

Surody: I tried to implement to visualisation in the Host during the simulation, This is very difficult to synchronize. But, you can stop the simulation and use the "Send to Host" function to see the result. (Not the same, I agree). Now, the "Send to Host" function is in real time.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Wed, 05 December 2018 at 4:18 AM

Hello,

One good news and one bad news:

• The script which plays the animation in Daz Studio starts directly now. When you press on the "Send animation to host", the program closes and you can directly press on the play button in Daz.

• No reply on the Daz Studio SDK. If someone knows how to update to the vertices of a geometry in the SDK, please tell me how to proceed. When I want to update the vertices in the Daz Interface, the vertices are updated but the normals do not change.

All help will be welcome.

stger ( ) posted Wed, 05 December 2018 at 8:27 AM

IVirtualWorldDynamics posted at 8:26AM Wed, 05 December 2018 - #4341229

• No reply on the Daz Studio SDK. If someone knows how to update to the vertices of a geometry in the SDK, please tell me how to proceed. When I want to update the vertices in the Daz Interface, the vertices are updated but the normals do not change.

All help will be welcome.

Have you asked in the DAZ forum? Normally you get there good answers.

As an alternative you can open a ticket directly to DAZ https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Wed, 05 December 2018 at 10:27 AM

Hello stger,

Thank you for your reply.

I just posted a new message in the DazScript and in the Daz Studio SDK forums. If I have no reply in the coming days, I will try your link.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Wed, 05 December 2018 at 7:13 PM

Hello,

I had some replies to the threads at Daz3D but I just found another way to manage these vertices and normals updates.

Now the program transfers directly the animation in the Daz Studio interface without any errors.

mndsng ( ) posted Thu, 06 December 2018 at 1:00 AM

Wow - This is huge and great progress. The videos are great -just as they are - to give a sense of the steps and workflow. Some may complain about language, etc., but anyone who wants to get things working will be very pleased to have the tools and the instructions you've created. I would add that having some suggested parameter setting values - to start each scene with - written down, would probably be useful, as there seem to be a lot of parameters to set in this tool. That flexibility is VWD's greatest value, but having a 'safe' starting point available to a new user would be most appreciated by anyone learning the workflow!

Bravo sir, on both the progress and videos!

Quick update on a previous discussion:

I had mentioned using a site like 'gumroad.com' as a selling channel, and just found a new site (to me) called 'selz.com' that seems to have a similar flavor, and may be something to consider if you integrate a selling site with your home-base site. I know there are many options being considered, but this seemed to be a viable choice to add to your research.

cheers, and again, bravo! --ms

Surody ( ) posted Thu, 06 December 2018 at 2:38 AM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 2:37AM Thu, 06 December 2018 - #4341300

Hello,

I had some replies to the threads at Daz3D but I just found another way to manage these vertices and normals updates.

Now the program transfers directly the animation in the Daz Studio interface without any errors.

Nice! I was following your thread on the Daz forum. Glad you found your own solution. Is there some kind of date when you plan to open your Patreon now?

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Thu, 06 December 2018 at 1:15 PM

@mndsng: Thank you for your post. Yes, I think the video tutorials will be very helpful to all users and I agree with you to say I have to explain how to define the best choices for a simulation. These choices are simple enough to me because I have a lot of years of simulation behind me. I really want to find methods to explain clearly how to find the best settings. Currently, I want to start Patreon but I will look to the 2 sites you told me. They can be a good solution to sell products in relation with the program.

@Surody: I want to create a first version 2.0 in the coming days. I certainly will need some help for testing this version because there are a mot of corrections and new features yet. I will send you this version when it will be done. As soon as this version is tested and validated, I will start Patreon. I have to prepare a simple video explaining the program. This video will be in my Patreon first page.

If you are interested by this version, feel free to send me an email.

Surody ( ) posted Thu, 06 December 2018 at 3:07 PM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 3:01PM Thu, 06 December 2018 - #4341339

@mndsng: Thank you for your post. Yes, I think the video tutorials will be very helpful to all users and I agree with you to say I have to explain how to define the best choices for a simulation. These choices are simple enough to me because I have a lot of years of simulation behind me. I really want to find methods to explain clearly how to find the best settings. Currently, I want to start Patreon but I will look to the 2 sites you told me. They can be a good solution to sell products in relation with the program.

@Surody: I want to create a first version 2.0 in the coming days. I certainly will need some help for testing this version because there are a mot of corrections and new features yet. I will send you this version when it will be done. As soon as this version is tested and validated, I will start Patreon. I have to prepare a simple video explaining the program. This video will be in my Patreon first page.

In the current VWD version I have there's some bugs and nuisances you maybe want to fix for a Patreon release. Here's a short list of what I expierenced: -The error windows should always open on top of the VWD window, not behind. Sometimes when I'm in fullscreen mode and I get a error, it blocks everything and I can't do anything anymore, not even access taskmanager, since it's opening behind VWD. -When I import a collission actor multiple times, it doesn't override the old one automatically. The button for deleting exchanges files seems to not work at all -With the bridge, when I finished the simulation, it automatically sends the animation to Daz and closes VWD. I'm not sure why, but this happened in older versions and I would like to take a look at the finished simulation before automatically sending it to Daz.

Just a few, I'm pretty sure I forgot about a few more, I will add them to the list when I faced them again.

Surody ( ) posted Thu, 06 December 2018 at 3:08 PM · edited Thu, 06 December 2018 at 3:09 PM

Surody posted at 3:07PM Thu, 06 December 2018 - #4341343

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 3:01PM Thu, 06 December 2018 - #4341339

In the current VWD version I have some bugs and nuisances you maybe want to fix for a Patreon release. Here's a short list of what I expierenced: -The error windows should always open on top of the VWD window, not behind. Sometimes when I'm in fullscreen mode and I get a error, it blocks everything and I can't do anything anymore, not even access taskmanager, since it's opening behind VWD. Alt+F4 doesn't work either. When I import a collission actor multiple times, it doesn't override the old one automatically. The button for deleting exchanges files seems to not work at all With the bridge, when I finished the simulation, it automatically sends the animation to Daz and closes VWD. I'm not sure why, but this happened in older versions and I would like to take a look at the finished simulation before automatically sending it to Daz.

Just a few, I'm pretty sure I forgot about a few more, I will add them to the list when I faced them again.

Surody ( ) posted Thu, 06 December 2018 at 4:18 PM

EDIT: The deleting exchange files works. I'm not sure what I did wrong. This fixed the issue with having the same collision actor after closing and re-open the plugin.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sun, 09 December 2018 at 3:26 PM

Hello Surody,

Excuse me to reply so late.

Normally a window which is generated in VWD opens ahead VWD. Could you tell me when you had this kind of error window?

I you want to access to the task manager. I suppose you use Ctrl-Alt-Del. I don't know why its window appears behind VWD. Personally, I prefer to use Ctrl-Shift-Esc. This also opens the task manager but it always opens its window overhead all other windows.

I agree with you for the actor importation. I have to do many improvements.

Now, the V2 version is almost finished, I will generate it for the next week-end. This version will a beta version yet but just the necessary time to validate it by the testers.

I will do a small video to explain the latest modifications.

Surody ( ) posted Sun, 09 December 2018 at 8:40 PM · edited Sun, 09 December 2018 at 8:41 PM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 8:36PM Sun, 09 December 2018 - #4341526

Hello Surody,

Excuse me to reply so late.

Normally a window which is generated in VWD opens ahead VWD. Could you tell me when you had this kind of error window?

I you want to access to the task manager. I suppose you use Ctrl-Alt-Del. I don't know why its window appears behind VWD. Personally, I prefer to use Ctrl-Shift-Esc. This also opens the task manager but it always opens its window overhead all other windows.

I agree with you for the actor importation. I have to do many improvements.

Now, the V2 version is almost finished, I will generate it for the next week-end. This version will a beta version yet but just the necessary time to validate it by the testers.

I will do a small video to explain the latest modifications.

It always opened behind VWD for me on Windows 10. The Version of Windows or VWD didn't matter, it was always like that. Also I want to add another issue. Sometimes the program gets into a error loop. It's basically 3 error windows which open in a row after clicking them away and it's in a infinite loop. I always have to close VWD with the task manager and when I try to re-open VWD during the same issue it causes Daz to freeze. I always have to restart Daz because of that. This issue appears for example when the SubD of a collission actor is too high to import.

I'll try to use ctrl-alt-Esc the next time the other issue appears.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sat, 15 December 2018 at 10:27 AM

Hello,

the first V2 beta version is finished but I want to make some tests. This version allows to communicate quickly with Daz Studio. This allows to create hair simulations with the "Animated by host" function fastly. This resolves many simulations issues on hair. I will do some videos to show it.

In this new version, the simulation result is immediately transfered in Daz Studio and you can quickly play the visualization or do the rendering.

I will be able to send it to interested users.

@Surody: to show the task manager, it is ctrl-shift-esc. You can execute it using your left hand. If you have a very large collision actor you want to subdivide, you can try to use the cutting system. This allows to cut the actor on the selected vertices. Then you can use the subdivide function on only one of these parts. I will do some tests to show if this method works fine. Perhaps the cutting line will be visible. It is certainly better to create this cutting line on invisible faces (for your render).

Surody ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2018 at 5:04 AM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 5:02AM Sun, 16 December 2018 - #4341923

@Surody: to show the task manager, it is ctrl-shift-esc. You can execute it using your left hand. If you have a very large collision actor you want to subdivide, you can try to use the cutting system. This allows to cut the actor on the selected vertices. Then you can use the subdivide function on only one of these parts. I will do some tests to show if this method works fine. Perhaps the cutting line will be visible. It is certainly better to create this cutting line on invisible faces (for your render).

I only have that SubD issue when I forgot to set the hair,clothing or actor to base resolution. I usually set it to base in Daz directly and upscale it afterwards. Which issues are you referring to in terms of hair? Anyway, good to hear! I hope you get your Patreon started soon.

yvesab ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2019 at 12:02 AM

Happy new year everybody ! I'm just inquiring about this Patreon project, any probable start date ?

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2019 at 8:52 AM

Hello Yves,

Some changes will come this new year for VWD. The Patreon project will be one of them.

Some news will come soon.

Surody ( ) posted Tue, 19 February 2019 at 9:09 AM

Hi Gérald, is there a status update available how's the Patreon project and the next version is doing? Thanks!

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Tue, 19 February 2019 at 3:23 PM

Hello Surody,

Yes, I work on the assistants and I will send you a new version in the coming days with the 2 assistants.

A VWD site will come soon and a bug tracker will come as soon as possible. This new way will be more professional for defining and correcting the bugs in the program.

I think the final V2 version will follow the finalization of the 2 assistants. There will be a new version sold at Renderosity and there also will be an upgrade from the V1 version. The Patreon project will also come after these actions.

Surody ( ) posted Thu, 21 February 2019 at 6:20 AM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 6:19AM Thu, 21 February 2019 - #4346632

Hello Surody,

Yes, I work on the assistants and I will send you a new version in the coming days with the 2 assistants.

A VWD site will come soon and a bug tracker will come as soon as possible. This new way will be more professional for defining and correcting the bugs in the program.

I think the final V2 version will follow the finalization of the 2 assistants. There will be a new version sold at Renderosity and there also will be an upgrade from the V1 version. The Patreon project will also come after these actions.

Thanks for letting me know and I really could need the version which allows me to use geografts again^^

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2019 at 3:33 PM

Hello,

Just a simple news. I continue to work on the assistants. I need a week more to finalize the program.

I am quite sure you will be interested by this version. It allows to generate simulations in some mouse clicks even if it will be better to manage some parts by hands.

Surody ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2019 at 11:02 AM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 11:02AM Mon, 25 February 2019 - #4346905

Hello,

Just a simple news. I continue to work on the assistants. I need a week more to finalize the program.

I am quite sure you will be interested by this version. It allows to generate simulations in some mouse clicks even if it will be better to manage some parts by hands.

Sounds good, how far is the documentation progressed?

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2019 at 1:34 PM

Hello,

The documentation don't progress for now. I cannot manage all these works at the same time. Once the assistants are written, I will begin to work on the documentation. My first work will be to create a technical documentation explaining the interface and the functions.

Surody ( ) posted Fri, 08 March 2019 at 4:44 AM

The assistants are just awesome. Really good job Gérald! Just a question: The simulation with geografts works now with static simulations but is it somehow possible to do animations with geografts with the new version? I still face the same issue.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Fri, 08 March 2019 at 2:34 PM

Hello Surody,

Thank you for your comment.

I just improved the hair assistant for the Soft function. I think it is now really fully realistic. In the clothes assistant, the materials do not correspond to real material. I have to improve this part. Perhaps, I will need some help to define fully realistic materials.

About the geographs, Yes you can do animations with geographs. You have to:

• Import the character with the geograph,
  • Open the Collision tab.
  • Fly over the "Record" button. When you press on the Control key, the caption changes to "OBJ record".
  • Press the button. The importation will use OBJ files to create the animation. This importation is slow.
  • Don't take attention if you have a bad shape at the end, the animation is correct.
  • Close VWD, reopen it and import the character with the geograph. The animation should be correct.

Surody ( ) posted Wed, 20 March 2019 at 2:13 PM · edited Wed, 20 March 2019 at 2:14 PM

I want to mention that Patreon starts a new system in May 2019, which will result into more fees for new creators.

Here's a video: https://c5.patreon.com/external/marketing/plans_announcement/jack-new-creator-plans.mp4

and here you can read more: http://patreon.com/new-creator-plans?utm_source=patreon_announcements&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=gbb_announcement

In a nutshell: I would create a Patreon till May 2019.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Wed, 20 March 2019 at 8:04 PM

Hello Surody,

Thank you for this news.

I think it would be interesting to create a Patreon account for VWD. I will discuss with Mindsong to see how to proceed.

I don't forget you about the hair tutorial. I ask you some days and I will come back to you.

Surody ( ) posted Thu, 21 March 2019 at 9:06 AM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 9:06AM Thu, 21 March 2019 - #4348449

Hello Surody,

Thank you for this news.

I think it would be interesting to create a Patreon account for VWD. I will discuss with Mindsong to see how to proceed.

I don't forget you about the hair tutorial. I ask you some days and I will come back to you.

No pressure, thanks for letting me know.

mndsng ( ) posted Thu, 04 April 2019 at 8:32 PM · edited Thu, 04 April 2019 at 8:38 PM

Hi all,

Busy here with some fun projects, but wanted to add a thought or two to the Patreon conversation.

After some poking around at similar projects, it appears that there's no argument that Patreon works well for content producers that can provide regular 'bites' of content that delight their supporters over a given time period. Writers, musicians, 3D content and texture producers, etc. It also seems great for keeping a good following of loyal users informed and with 'special treatment' status relative to an ongoing 'theme' of any sort (fanclubs, software projects like VWD, Technology startups, TV or Youtube Series, etc.).

Generally, I don't think the Patreon model works well as a simple 'product selling' vehicle if the product is only updated once a year or the like. At this level, most folks will sponsor for the upload and then unsponsor 'til the next release (that's what I would do!) as a way to 'buy' the update.

The current Renderosity brokerage and forum/support model works better for a typical 'sparse release' software model, as you get sales and community both for your brokerage fees.

The exception would be that with a Patreon presence, you might get some deep-pocket sponsors who are happy to receive sparse but solid updates, but I haven't seen much of that in our VWD community of loyal and enthusiastic hobbiests and small-house artists and designers. I certainly can't afford hundreds a month for that level of patronage, as much as I might like to. (3D is a hobby for me, so I pinch my pennies, and enjoy hunting for 'deals').

Apparently most big kickstarters that succeed have a couple of heavy donors/patrons and a good number of modest enthusiasts.

I feel like VWD could be a hybrid, with its traditional release version sales at a brokerage like Rendo and/or independently, and enhanced by an active Patreon community with ongoing support 'treats' that would draw those who wish to invest and support VWD over time - with VWD rewarding their patronage with continued development and 'insider treats' like content, early-release versions and tutorials, and one-on-one support to some level.

I'm still not sure most folks appreciate that the historic idea of patronage is not a time-purchase plan, but of donating to the progress of a cause (e.g. VWD or a songwriter, or ...) with the results being the end-game, rather than getting something specific for a 'good value'. I've seen way-too-many Patreon commenters complain about "not getting their money's worth"... which seems to confirm this misconception.

I sometimes send Paypal $ to people who contribute something I use and like to our community, with no expectation of anything more than feeling good about it - but I have to admit that I really like the Patreon idea of periodic 'thank-you' treats for my support. That's way more fun! I just hate subscriptions of any kind. ug. Hard to reconcile that, but that's just me.

Lastly... I've learned that all Patreon site owners that I've communicated with agree that a well-run Patreon project is a job in itself, with very real time expenses - but these efforts do help ensure the site's success. Keeping any online community alive takes a lot of attention and work, but it's probably one of the best marketing, support, and self-help tools available in this digital era we're living in.

My biggest question for VWD is whether migrating to Patreon or an independent online VWD presence really buys the project much more than they already have available here at Renderosity for the additional effort and investment. If done right, sure. Otherwise it may join the ranks of many optimistic projects that under-price their products relative to the costs of supporting their user-base, leaving these communities starve and fade away - with customers moving to the "next big (or cheaper) thing"!

With the new VWD updates and roadmaps I've seen, I think VWD will be fine, but still needs to play its cards wisely!

All comments very-much encouraged,

cheers, --ms

Leonides02 ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2019 at 12:27 AM · edited Fri, 05 April 2019 at 12:27 AM

Weird question, but... Has anyone heard from Gerald? I shot him an email two weeks ago re: an issue I'm having and then followed up last week. I never got a response. I'm only asking because he's usually so responsive!

VWD_dan ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2019 at 3:56 AM · edited Sat, 06 April 2019 at 4:07 AM

Hi there @Leonides02, and everyone else,

Gérald is doing quite well, but is currently consumed by a short-term competing (non-technical) project.

Now is as good a time as any to introduce myself...

I'm Dan (VWD_dan...) and will be helping Gérald with non-programming VWD support.

A big part of my participation is intended to help consolidate and coordinate all of our help and user-support resources in an online way that lets users help-themselves first, then we can help them further when needed. This will help both the users and the project progress as efficiently as possible.

Our efforts are currently a work-in-progress - both in design and implementation. We don't want to promise too much before we grasp the magnitude of our intentions, but we also don't want to leave you all hanging for too long as we get our plans in place.

We're finding that this sort of change has all kinds of side-effects, but we think you all will be glad for our efforts, once we 'fill in the blanks'. We're not trying to be mysterious, but rather careful not to outrun ourselves and disappoint you all. Thanks for your understanding and support!

So yes, Gérald is fine and will be able to dedicate his usual wisdom and energy to the project in the near future - thank you for asking. He has many plans and great ideas in the queue.

I can help with many aspects of the VWD program, so feel free to post any questions here (or in the more program-related threads), or you can PM me directly.

@Mindsong - yes, our internal discussions are a lot like what you have written, and we do hope to be playing our cards wisely. Your comments are appreciated, as are any others.

stay tuned!

dan

VWD website: https://www.virtualworlddynamics.net  -  VWD support: support@virtualworlddynamics.net

Current VWD Versions:   Release: V1.1.522.3630 – 2017/05/18 11:52,    Beta: V2.2.908.6404 beta – 2019/11/24 9:34 (exp 2019/12/28)

Qualifier: Yes, I'm helping Gérald with VWD, No, I'm not yet an expert on its use!

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2019 at 2:56 PM

@Leonides02: Excuse me I didnt see your message. I will try to find it and I will reply as soon as possible. As said Dan, I am curently very busy with another personal project. The one which fills the stomach :-)

Leonides02 ( ) posted Mon, 08 April 2019 at 12:50 AM

Ah! No problem and thank you. Honestly I was just glad to see you're okay!

Dan, maybe you'd be kind enough to assist? I'd be very grateful. The latest version Gerald was kind enough to send me is 2.1.82. Unfortunatrely, man (but not all) figures won't animate correctly. The static simulations run fine, but when I attempt to do an animation the figures explode like this:

explode.jpg

I've tried reducing subd, etc. but nothing has helped fix the issue.

VWD_dan ( ) posted Mon, 08 April 2019 at 2:28 PM · edited Mon, 08 April 2019 at 2:29 PM

Hi @Leonides02,

It is hard to tell what your results should look like, but what you show doesn't look very meaningful, so I'm guessing it's very wrong... :)

A assume you are using DS, and I assume your animation looks correct on the DS timeline. (how many frames?)

When you start VWD and pick and configure your collision objects and hair or clothing items, I wonder if the simulation explodes immediately, or after some frames. I also wonder if the explosion is instant (1 frame) or over time (slow-motion...).

In my system, my older GPU does nothing much in a sim (GTX760), and VWD sees my CPU as a GPU, which I think is wrong, so I disable the GPU to use the CPU to get some scenes to process. It is not optimal, but it may expose more of the problem if you try that.

Can you try to run this scene (or part of it, 'til it usually explodes) with just your CPU once, to see if the behavior is better or different?

If that makes no difference, I would try to do anything I could to simplify the interactions in VWD until things work, then re-add things until they break, and maybe we can try to replicate the issue here. Maybe let us know what specific products and a rough description of your scene intent. The screenshot is useful, but some text is not quite clear.

I think I see 'Alma' and assume that's a figure, with a tunic product - both collision items - with 'Leyton Hair', as a 'cloth'. Maybe try a sim without the tunic to see if that teaches us anything.

How long is your animation, and is it very 'fast' moving?, especially does the first frame jump a lot?

let's start there.

regards,

dan

VWD website: https://www.virtualworlddynamics.net  -  VWD support: support@virtualworlddynamics.net

Current VWD Versions:   Release: V1.1.522.3630 – 2017/05/18 11:52,    Beta: V2.2.908.6404 beta – 2019/11/24 9:34 (exp 2019/12/28)

Qualifier: Yes, I'm helping Gérald with VWD, No, I'm not yet an expert on its use!

Surody ( ) posted Mon, 08 April 2019 at 2:41 PM

Leonides02 posted at 2:40PM Mon, 08 April 2019 - #4349698

Ah! No problem and thank you. Honestly I was just glad to see you're okay!

Dan, maybe you'd be kind enough to assist? I'd be very grateful. The latest version Gerald was kind enough to send me is 2.1.82. Unfortunatrely, man (but not all) figures won't animate correctly. The static simulations run fine, but when I attempt to do an animation the figures explode like this:

explode.jpg

I've tried reducing subd, etc. but nothing has helped fix the issue.

This issue is caused by geografts. Horns in your case. Here is what Gérald wrote how to animate with geografts:

About the geographs, Yes you can do animations with geographs. You have to:

Import the character with the geograph, Open the Collision tab. Fly over the "Record" button. When you press on the Control key, the caption changes to "OBJ record". Press the button. The importation will use OBJ files to create the animation. This importation is slow. Don't take attention if you have a bad shape at the end, the animation is correct. Close VWD, reopen it and import the character with the geograph. The animation should be correct.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Mon, 08 April 2019 at 4:17 PM

VWD_dan and Surody, thank you for your help.

Leonides02, yes, in your case, the problem comes from the Horns. I cannot tell why importing an animation using OBJ files and importing an animation using the script functions doesn't give the same result. Each time you want to work with geographs, you need to use the OBJ importation and you need to record the animation. I am not sure to be able to correct this issue because I already tried several methods.

I do not have a lot of time but several tests allow me to find a better method to link the hair strands. The first result seems very realistic. I will do a video soon. This new method allows me to finalize well the hair assistant.

I will have more time in two weeks and I want to finalize the cloth assistant. I need to use the same shape (certainly a simple skirt) meshed with several triangle sizes and try to get the same result for all these sizes for a material (Cotton, Polyester, ...) If some of you are interested to test.......

In parallel, I will add "flying helps" to all the elements of the interface which do not have one.

Surody ( ) posted Tue, 09 April 2019 at 5:51 AM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 5:51AM Tue, 09 April 2019 - #4349752

VWD_dan and Surody, thank you for your help.

Leonides02, yes, in your case, the problem comes from the Horns. I cannot tell why importing an animation using OBJ files and importing an animation using the script functions doesn't give the same result. Each time you want to work with geographs, you need to use the OBJ importation and you need to record the animation. I am not sure to be able to correct this issue because I already tried several methods.

I do not have a lot of time but several tests allow me to find a better method to link the hair strands. The first result seems very realistic. I will do a video soon. This new method allows me to finalize well the hair assistant.

I will have more time in two weeks and I want to finalize the cloth assistant. I need to use the same shape (certainly a simple skirt) meshed with several triangle sizes and try to get the same result for all these sizes for a material (Cotton, Polyester, ...) If some of you are interested to test.......

In parallel, I will add "flying helps" to all the elements of the interface which do not have one.

I would like to test the clothing.

Leonides02 ( ) posted Wed, 10 April 2019 at 4:14 AM

Thank you Surody and Dan!

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Wed, 10 April 2019 at 5:44 PM · edited Wed, 10 April 2019 at 5:45 PM

@Surody: I will work on the method soon, I will have to generate the same skirt with several meshings.

I want to use a simple animation on Genesis 2 Female. Perhaps a catwalk.

Then I would like to send this Daz Scene file with all these elements to who wants to test.

I have a lot of work for now, I certainly will not be able to send this file before next week.

If you have other ideas, they are welcome.

Surody ( ) posted Fri, 12 April 2019 at 6:52 AM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 6:51AM Fri, 12 April 2019 - #4349901

@Surody: I will work on the method soon, I will have to generate the same skirt with several meshings.

I want to use a simple animation on Genesis 2 Female. Perhaps a catwalk.

Then I would like to send this Daz Scene file with all these elements to who wants to test.

I have a lot of work for now, I certainly will not be able to send this file before next week.

If you have other ideas, they are welcome.

Sounds good. Did you make your thoughts about Patreon in terms of the changes in May yet?

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Fri, 12 April 2019 at 9:07 AM

Hello Surody,

Currently, Dan works hard on several things for VWD. I know he wants to work on this soon.... before the changes in May. He certainly will be able to respond more precisely to this question.

yvesab ( ) posted Tue, 11 June 2019 at 2:25 PM

Good evening, are there any news about patreon or any other solution to retribute Gerald excellent work on this piece of software ? Yves

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Tue, 11 June 2019 at 6:28 PM

Hello Yves,

I continue to improve the program. Now the dynamic wind seems to work fine. I made some videos on YouTube. I corrected some errors in the interface: when you press on cloth button when you want to simulate hair. Now, it is possible to come back to the initial interface. It is also possible to stop a static or a dynamic simulation and restart it from the beginning using other parameters or adding some functions to the simulation. I want to finalize the clothes presets. Dan works hard on the website and on many tools which will be very interesting to help the VWD development. He helps me a lot to improve the "Flying helps" which allow to easily understand what is the use of all interface items. We decided to finalize the final V2 version at September 30th. The Patreon project will certainly come just after this date.

Thank you for your support.

Gérald

Leonides02 ( ) posted Thu, 13 June 2019 at 1:56 PM

Very eager for this update! Thanks, Gerald.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.