Thu, Oct 3, 12:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 03 11:45 am)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Frequent "Poser Not Responding" messages – solutions other than reinstall?

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Sat, 08 December 2018 at 3:49 PM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 11:09 AM

As the header says, I'm using Poser Pro 11 on Win 10 Pro and having problems. The system was purchased new in 2016 (virgin system, virgin Poser installation build 11.1.0.34764):

Alienware 17 laptop: Windows 10 Pro, 32GB RAM | Intel Core i7-6700HQ (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache 3.5GHz) | Onboard Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5 1028 CUDA Cores | Alienware Graphics Amplifier: GeForce GTX 980 ti 6GB (006G-P4-4996-KR) 2816 CUDA Cores

When I do certain things, the software pauses, the system "spins for a few seconds" and then the software gets unresponsive and I see a message at the top of the window: "Not Responding." This lasts for about 15-30 seconds, then everything starts working fine again.

I'm really reluctant to reinstall Poser (mainly it's a hassle, and I'm really busy with two projects right now and don't want to risk derailing them if I have problems reinstalling Poser).

Does anyone have any thoughts or guidance toward things I could look at before taking the drastic step of uninstalling and reinstalling the software again?

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 
Alienware m16 R2 Laptop | Windows 11 Home | 64GB RAM |  Intel Core Ultra 7 155H 1.40 GHz | Nvidia RTX 4070 Laptop GPU 8GB 4608 CUDA Cores
mikemitchellonline.blogspot.com   |   Poser Noir Comics Tutorial   |   Illustrations Honored by Renderosity

Richard60 ( ) posted Sat, 08 December 2018 at 6:05 PM

As long as Poser returns to working I would not worry to much. I have seen the not responding for lots of programs and all that means is the program failed to respond with a system request for a time. This can happen when a program gets fixated on a portion of code it takes longer then normal.

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

donnena ( ) posted Sat, 08 December 2018 at 8:47 PM

PLEASE don't reinstall. It wont help. Adding RAM or a Faster CPU would help.
This message just means Poser is working your Computer like a Rented Mule!! The vast Majority of the time your computer will catch up and all will be well.

;>

Andy!

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Sun, 09 December 2018 at 8:36 PM

donnena posted at 8:34PM Sun, 09 December 2018 - #4341507

PLEASE don't reinstall. It wont help. Adding RAM or a Faster CPU would help.
This message just means Poser is working your Computer like a Rented Mule!! The vast Majority of the time your computer will catch up and all will be well.

My current specs are: 32GB RAM | Intel Core i7-6700HQ (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache 3.5GHz). I'm maxed out on RAM (system MoBoard won't recognize more) and ditto for the processor.

Not to be argumentative (I really appreciate you taking the time), but I just don't think "more power" is the solution.

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 
Alienware m16 R2 Laptop | Windows 11 Home | 64GB RAM |  Intel Core Ultra 7 155H 1.40 GHz | Nvidia RTX 4070 Laptop GPU 8GB 4608 CUDA Cores
mikemitchellonline.blogspot.com   |   Poser Noir Comics Tutorial   |   Illustrations Honored by Renderosity

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Sun, 09 December 2018 at 8:38 PM

Richard60 posted at 8:37PM Sun, 09 December 2018 - #4341503

As long as Poser returns to working I would not worry to much. I have seen the not responding for lots of programs and all that means is the program failed to respond with a system request for a time. This can happen when a program gets fixated on a portion of code it takes longer then normal.

It's not so much as "worry" (although there is a fear that at some point it will stop working altogether), but this is time consuming. My renders and some edit functions just take too long.

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 

Nails60 ( ) posted Mon, 10 December 2018 at 7:55 AM · edited Mon, 10 December 2018 at 7:56 AM

You say when you do certain things, but haven't been specific. If it is when you are adding content to the scene this is usually caused by poser searching for assets in your runtimes. If you change the search prefs in general prefs to shallow or none poser will quickly (or maybe I should say relatively quickly) ask you to find the file(s). You haven't mentioned your ssd/hdd. This will also have an effect on the time it takes poser to find items. Other reasons I've come across for poser running slowly include the interminable windows updates which can slow thing s down as they are being downloaded, and in general other programs running in the background. Renders often take what seems like a long time to get started, but in the grand scheme of things this is usually a small percentage of the total render time.

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Mon, 10 December 2018 at 2:45 PM

Nails60 posted at 2:37PM Mon, 10 December 2018 - #4341548

You say when you do certain things, but haven't been specific. If it is when you are adding content to the scene this is usually caused by poser searching for assets in your runtimes. If you change the search prefs in general prefs to shallow or none poser will quickly (or maybe I should say relatively quickly) ask you to find the file(s). You haven't mentioned your ssd/hdd. This will also have an effect on the time it takes poser to find items. Other reasons I've come across for poser running slowly include the interminable windows updates which can slow thing s down as they are being downloaded, and in general other programs running in the background. Renders often take what seems like a long time to get started, but in the grand scheme of things this is usually a small percentage of the total render time.

Fair enough: here are more details. The "Poser not Responding" messages always happen when I'm rendering (it doesn't matter if it's a single character or a complex scene). It also happens every time I save the file. Now, we're not talking about this being slow to respond... I'm saying that Windows actually returns a "Poser not Responding" message and the window becomes "inactive / grays out" for a few seconds.

I have a hybrid drive: The OS is on an SSD (128 MB; it's about half full) and the Poser EXE and all content are on the disc portion: I have about 320 MB free on that.

Yes, I've been running Windows updates. But they are scheduled for late at night and are definitely not downloading while I'm working.

Again, the issue is NOT about sluggish behavior per se, but about it actually saying it is "not responding" (and then it coming back after a long pause).

I will check that preference you mentioned, as well as confirm that this happens when I save files locally to the HDD and SDD (I usually work on my network drive, but not always).

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 

ironsoul ( ) posted Mon, 10 December 2018 at 5:27 PM

Not sure how useful this will be but if you bring up the Windows 10 "Security and Maintenance" panel, under Maintenance there will be a "View reliability history" which should bring up a graph of the crashes. Clicking on a crash and selecting "View technical details" brings up more detail. Searching social.technet.microsoft.com for the hang type might yield useful results if you're very very lucky.

image.png

ypvs ( ) posted Sat, 15 December 2018 at 4:51 PM

It's should be safe to tell your Antivirus to ignore the Poser runtimes, render cache and save directory

Poser 11 , 180Gb in 8 Runtimes, PaintShop Pro 9
Windows 7 64 bit, Avast AV, Comodo Firewall
Intel Q9550 Quad Core cpu,  16Gb RAM, 250Gb + 250Gb +160Gb HD, GeForce GTX 1060

vlgraphics ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2018 at 9:26 AM

I get the "Poser not responding" message when I'm rendering a scene in Firefly. I've found that what I need to do before rendering is, close any Poser windows I don't need (specifically the Library), bring up Windows Task Manager and stop all the Chromium processes that are running - usually there are at least 5. I have no idea why there are that many going, but they are a HUGE drain of resources and kill Firefly rendering. Superfly rendering is not affected. I'm running Windows 7 Pro, 16Gb RAM, GeForce GTX 670.

ironsoul ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2018 at 2:44 AM · edited Mon, 17 December 2018 at 2:45 AM

One action that can occur during both a render and save is a dialogue box is displayed, could chromium and Poser be fighting over the same resource - eg display driver? It would be interesting to know if the save dialogue pops up before or after the hang with OPs "not responding" message. Next time I get a hang will try killing the chromium process to see if it fixes my hanging problem.

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2019 at 12:57 PM

Thanks everyone! I've been busy with work and have not had any chance to follow-up on these great suggestions. I will take a look at everything again this weekend and report back.

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2019 at 12:59 PM · edited Fri, 11 January 2019 at 1:00 PM

Well, this is interesting!

The problem has "fixed itself." I suspect it is tied to a Windows Update that occurred overnight (10-Jan-2019). Or it is possible that a Firmware update on my NAS server (where the project files are stored) has contributed to the resolution (but I don't think so, as I still had that issue yesterday, which is before the Windows update).

It is still taking a long time to save a file, but that could just be network latency.

_ypvs posted at 12:57PM Fri, 11 January 2019 - #4341956

It's should be safe to tell your Antivirus to ignore the Poser runtimes, render cache and save directory_

I will heed this advice, too. Maybe it can help speed up a few other things, as well.

_vlgraphics posted at 12:58PM Fri, 11 January 2019 - #4341981

I get the "Poser not responding" message when I'm rendering a scene in Firefly. I've found that what I need to do before rendering is, close any Poser windows I don't need (specifically the Library)..._

I did try this yesterday, before things "fixed themselves," and it didn't help. However, I did notice a little improvement with some other functions in Poser, so this is sound advice.

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.