Sat, Sep 14, 5:05 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 14 4:46 pm)

Subject: Folks, as a French Canadian...

SeanMartin ( ) posted Wed, 14 August 2019 at 4:18 PM · edited Sun, 01 September 2024 at 4:20 PM

... may I remind you that it's not LE HOMME. It's L'HOMME.

Carry on.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

DarthJ ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2019 at 3:14 AM · edited Thu, 15 August 2019 at 3:18 AM

I already considered La Femme a rather blasé name - instead of calling her Elisabeth for instance - but now they go one step further with this horrible mistake for her male counterpart.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2019 at 4:46 AM

What d'you expect from a nation that can't spell colour? ;)

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2019 at 5:47 AM

"When I first travelled abroad and tried out my languages the usual reaction from Europeans was "The English don't learn foreign languages." That was when we had to learn at least one foreign language at school; nowadays it's voluntary ...

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2019 at 5:55 AM · edited Thu, 15 August 2019 at 5:56 AM

SamTherapy posted at 6:53AM Thu, 15 August 2019 - #4359433

We can spell it. Just not the wrong way, like you Brits, Sam. But what can you expect from a nation that drives on the wrong side of the road? 😁

Hope you know, I'm just funning.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2019 at 7:17 AM

Pretty sure they came up with the language first 😂

I'll just be here siding with the french folks because latin-derived language friendship. (And you all should be thankful you don't have to learn portuguese.)

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2019 at 9:15 AM

EClark1894 posted at 3:13PM Thu, 15 August 2019 - #4359437

SamTherapy posted at 6:53AM Thu, 15 August 2019 - #4359433

We can spell it. Just not the wrong way, like you Brits, Sam. But what can you expect from a nation that drives on the wrong side of the road? 😁

Hope you know, I'm just funning.

Of course I do. 😀

There are, however, good reasons for driving on the correct - left - side. Seeing as most of us have manual gears, driving on the left leaves the dominant hand (for most people) on the wheel most of the time.

My Store

My Gallery

MKDAWUSS ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2019 at 10:27 AM

I was wondering about that myself, and I hail from no Romance-language country.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2019 at 11:04 AM

I'm only replying to this thread again because I forgot to uncheck the "Notify me" option so I'll make sure I do it now.

My Store

My Gallery

SeanMartin ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2019 at 11:09 AM

In all seriousness, joking aside, if you're going to give this guy a French name, make sure you're actually, you know, using proper French when you do. Calling him "Le Homme" makes one sound like the Julie Brown character in Earth Girls are Easy.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2019 at 11:14 AM

SeanMartin posted at 12:12PM Thu, 15 August 2019 - #4359486

In all seriousness, joking aside, if you're going to give this guy a French name, make sure you're actually, you know, using proper French when you do. Calling him "Le Homme" makes one sound like the Julie Brown character in Earth Girls are Easy.

That should be "Incredibly Easy!" 😁

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2019 at 12:29 PM

I think Brit vernacular would have been better. Should have called him "The Bloke".

My Store

My Gallery

AmbientShade ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2019 at 1:28 PM
Online Now!

DOA sounds a bit more fitting, as he'll get about as much attention as the last half dozen male figures that have been released for Poser. While they're at it, should change the name of the software to T&A

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2019 at 1:34 PM

AmbientShade posted at 7:34PM Thu, 15 August 2019 - #4359502

DOA sounds a bit more fitting, as he'll get about as much attention as the last half dozen male figures that have been released for Poser. While they're at it, should change the name of the software to T&A

So young and yet so cynical. 😂

My Store

My Gallery

FVerbaas ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2019 at 3:11 PM
Forum Coordinator

The apostrophe does not go well with file names. I have previously opted for 'le Mec'.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2019 at 4:53 PM

So who has the fortitude to mesh-up one of these for the new figures?

031-_D8O8883-940x627.jpg

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2019 at 5:25 PM

Penguinisto posted at 6:24PM Thu, 15 August 2019 - #4359535

So who has the fortitude to mesh-up one of these for the new figures?

031-_D8O8883-940x627.jpg

Hey, a box on wheels!

SeanMartin ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2019 at 7:48 PM

FVerbaas posted at 8:47PM Thu, 15 August 2019 - #4359526

The apostrophe does not go well with file names. I have previously opted for 'le Mec'.

Then you might as well go all the way and name him Le Beau Mec.

Then wait for someone to catch on.

an0malaus ( ) posted Fri, 16 August 2019 at 6:43 AM

This raises a point I'd like people's opinion on. Are we really stuck with so many prohibited characters in file names these days? As far as current operating systems go, and support for, at the very least, European languages with diacritical marks on characters, why are there still prohibitions on certain characters? Apart from the obvious ones like path separators (/:), drive letter and extension delimiters (:.) across the OSs Poser supports (perhaps Linux, too, in a century or three), why do we still have archaic restrictions like 32 character file names, when the underlying operating systems no longer have such limits.

Where does an apostrophe or double-quotes fall down in file name conventions? All of the net programming languages like JSON and HTML have means of escaping delimiters or translating them into byte-code notation, like %20 for a space. The worst trouble I have with single apostrophes is that my text editor of choice, BBEdit doesn't have a simple way of identifying parts of the Poser syntax which might contain a file name (if it's not delimited, as is common in poser scene files) that contains an unbalanced apostrophe as part of a file name, which it then assumes is the start of a string, thowing the syntax colouring out of whack. Poser itself has no such problem saving or loading a file which contains an unbalanced apostrophe as part of a file name.

Maybe it's a problem as part of the name of an actor or figure? A way around that might be to use another character which displays as an apostrophe, but has a different ASCII or UTF code, so doesn't identify as an apostrophe.

Thoughts???

My ShareCG Stuff

Verbosity: Profusely promulgating Graham's number epics of complete and utter verbiage by the metric monkey barrel.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Fri, 16 August 2019 at 7:15 AM

Or just call it Lhomme in the coding and let it go right there? The character can be called anything one likes, but if it's a coding concern, naming this mesh lhomme in the code is no big deal.

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Fri, 16 August 2019 at 8:24 AM

Or preserve the sound and call him 'Lom" ...

Penguinisto ( ) posted Fri, 16 August 2019 at 8:46 AM

an0malaus posted at 6:35AM Fri, 16 August 2019 - #4359566

This raises a point I'd like people's opinion on. Are we really stuck with so many prohibited characters in file names these days? As far as current operating systems go, and support for, at the very least, European languages with diacritical marks on characters, why are there still prohibitions on certain characters? Apart from the obvious ones like path separators (/:), drive letter and extension delimiters (:.) across the OSs Poser supports (perhaps Linux, too, in a century or three), why do we still have archaic restrictions like 32 character file names, when the underlying operating systems no longer have such limits.

Unicode largely eliminated most of the bugaboos, but some chars are still used to get an intepreter or compiler's attention (example: the apostrophe (" ' ") is still used as an escape character in Powershell, bash, csh, ksh, tcsh; as a string delimiter in Python, Ruby, loads of other scripting languages, etc.) This means it's going to be prohibited for use as a filename or a directory name. Just the way it is - nothing to do with a 32-bit character limitation, but everything to do with how an OS, shell, script, or even lower-level code will interpret such characters as the interpreter comes across it.

Fun part is, you can escape the apostrophe and it will literally print just fine. Problem is, you, and everyone else who comes across, calls, or handles it would have to also remember to properly escape that symbol - under every circumstance, and every time, without fail.

As far as in a .cr2 file? lhomme works just fine, because nobody will ever see it. Marketing material can use apostrophes all day long. Overall, I see very little problem here... just a tiny bit of accommodation in the filenames and internal object descriptors.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.