Wed, Sep 18, 2:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Poser with a Bullet

caisson ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 4:31 PM · edited Tue, 17 September 2024 at 9:02 PM

I've been making some low-res prop bones and thought I'd see if I could use them with Poser's Bullet physics implementation... hopefully the video works ...

... yikes, embedding doesn't seem to work, so here's the link ...

https://vimeo.com/362178939

----------------------------------------

Not approved by Scarfolk Council. For more information please reread. Or visit my local shop.

caisson ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 4:32 PM

Each clip was rendered to mp4 using Superfly at roughly 30 seconds per frame for each clip at 1280x720 (so very low samples as you can tell if you freeze frame), then combined using Movie Maker.

The Bullet settings for all props were left at default as I have not found a way to change the settings for multiple items at once, and changing them one at a time from the drop-down menu gets tedious when there are many items in a scene. Also, positioning multiple items with a Grouping is straightforward, but Bullet doesn’t ’see’ the items within so they have to be dragged back to the universe before setting up the sim. (Would be nice to have a kind of dynamic Grouping where it’s dynamic settings could be changed and it would propagate those settings to every item it contained, along with many other things!)

I’ve been using it to make static prop scatters as the results can be saved to OBJ, per-frame. Manual clean-up is needed due to those pesky convex hulls, which is a little tedious, but a lot less tedious than placing so many separate objects by hand. Today it’s bones, tomorrow - bricks, tyres, shattered concrete, rubble?

Anyone else using Bullet in Poser?

Not approved by Scarfolk Council. For more information please reread. Or visit my local shop.

caisson ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 4:48 PM

OK, hopefully a clickable screenshot will work :D

physics.jpg

HKHan99 ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 5:26 PM

Nice.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 5:30 PM

Very cool.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

LeeMoon ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 5:33 PM

Excellent video, caisson!

I have no patience for rendering animations on my Macs. Went that route a long time ago with my Amiga 2000/NewTek VideoToaster/Lightwave set up. 😀

I admire those with the talent and hardware to pull off these amazing animations. Well done!

Poser Physics is what I use on characters and sometimes props to add a little bit of dynamic posing to a scene. Might drop some crates, spheres, cats (just kidding), etc. into a scene and let them fall where they may. Gives a better look of random positioning for the scene (less staged.) I also use Poser Physics to drop a roughly posed character onto furniture and then fine tune the pose once the simulation completes. Very happy that Poser Physics still runs (so far) in Poser Pro 11.2.

Looking forward to seeing more Bullet physics videos!

Lee

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 5:54 PM

Nifty.

Boni ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 6:17 PM

Poser has so many secret powers!! I hope more people come forward with stuff like this.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

caisson ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 6:53 PM

Poser Physics is a separate plugin by face_off (who went on to make the plugin for Poser to Octane Render) I think, not sure if it's still available; Bullet has been built-in since Poser 10, it's in a lot of different apps as it's open source and has been around for quite a while. I'd love to see the devs do more with it.

I haven't experimented with constraints or soft-body dynamics yet, so much to do, so little time ;)

movida ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 7:09 PM

cool :)

LeeMoon ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 8:21 PM

Yep, I use Poser Physics for the ragdoll physics simulation. Not sure if the Bullet physics engine in Poser does that. If so, I need to give that a try. Seems like I very briefly experimented with that some months ago without success. Was probably something I was doing wrong. Will investigate ragdoll physics some more.

In any event, I love the Bullet physics simulations and would love to see more!

Lee

quietrob ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 8:32 PM

Simply put. That was awesome. While animation and simulations can be scary to us rookies, it also makes us want to do more. I agree with Mr. Moon. Well done!

Giana ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2019 at 9:06 AM

knocking heads, eh? i can't believe you did that to poor Mort's family!! shame!!! ------->poke

kick arse vid, btw...

caisson ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2019 at 3:25 PM

@LeeMoon - I don't think Bullet can do ragdoll the way that Poser Physics did; it does have constraints but I'm not sure how to set them up yet, or if it could work for figures ...

@Giana - look at it this way, we're ALL Mort's family in the end ... !

LeeMoon ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2019 at 3:38 PM

Thanks for the info, caisson!

I'll be following this thread to see what you and any others come up with, ragdoll physics or not. 😀

I've always been fascinated with how well the physics simulators in Poser work. It's a real treat to see great demos of what can be achieved!

Lee

FleetR ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2019 at 5:44 PM

yes, but in the end, we're all not as cute, or functional, as Mort either [esp. in terms of awesome 'hair', which i adore, btw]

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.